2020 Cast Bullet Signup Thread

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
It’s time for hot lead again!!

This is the perfect time to learn to cast bullets. Don’t rely on the local shop and don’t wait weeks and weeks for your bullet order to show. This is a great way to spend less on your bullets and more on your primers and powder. You won’t save money but you’ll shoot a lot more for the same amount.

This year I’m going to work with some guidance from the father of the casting seminar @DukeInFlorida. He put together and awesome less plan for his new Florida based seminars.

Cost $20 Via PayPal friends and family. [email protected]
Please put your full name and your NES handle in the notes.
This $20 gets you damn close to 100 years of bullet casting experience, breakfast, lunch and all the bullets you can cast while you're at the event.

If you have a firearm that you want to bring to slug the bore to see what size bullet you need to use please bring it with you. NO LIVE AMMO

If you have an odd cartridge or you're set on making a specific bullet please ask ahead of time and we can try to get the mould you need. If you know you shoot a ton of 38 and want the best wadcutter for the job just let us know. If you're dying to get your granddad's 351 WSL up and running let us know.

This is also a discussion thread! Please ask questions. If you're on the fence but have heard horror stories about casting please ask all of your questions here. If you don't think it will work for your firearms or style of shooting please ask here. If you don't think they have the performance needed please ask here. If you're worried about cost of startup or savings over time please ask here. If you're worried about health hazards please ask here.
This is a very rewarding hobby that can drop the cost of your reloading significantly and allow you to be the guy that shows up at the range with 1000 rounds to blow through every week.

Date September 27th 2020

Location: Fairhaven MA. Address provided upon receipt of payment.
Schedule
8:00 - 8:30 - Arrival and Set Up of Equipment for organizers
8:30 - 9:00 - Arrival and Registration for workshop participants. Donuts and Coffee
9:30 - Workshop begins
9:30 - 12:00 - First round of mini workshops - see below for explanation
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 3:30 - Second Round of mini workshops

Seminar Topics
Molten Lead Safety
Casting Terminology
Alloys, Hardness, and Uses
Smelting
Fluxing
Mold Preparation
Casting Techniques
Boolit to Gun Fit
Lubing & Sizing & Gas Checks - Tools & Techniques
Hi-Tek Coating
Further Study: Paper Patching, list of resources

We will discuss each section and move at the rate of the class answering the questions and as soon as any eyes start to glaze off we're off to the race casting and coating/sizing lubing/slugging

Last year we had a lot of people want to spend time on smelting and reclaiming lead. If you still want to do that I can fire a pot up. In past years we had less interest in that so we shied away from it.

Yard Sale/Swap Meet: Feel free to bring any casting related supplies to buy/sell/trade. This is your one reminder that all local laws will be followed and there is a zero tolerance policy for violation of those laws. You will be told to leave if found in violation of the law.

I hope this goes without saying, but just in case... No alcohol of any kind during the seminar.

Attendees

@The Goose PAID
@Broccoli Iglesias PAID
@yanquidog PAID
@84ta406 PAID
@peterk123 PAID
@pastera PAID
Mason PAID
Lynne PAID
@Artie PAID
Siberman PAID
@pinebrother1 PAID
@gxx9sdb PAID
@Rocco Mozz PAID.

Last edited:
Anyone looking to make 1000 each 124 grain 9mm bullets for about $18 worth of lead?
What would that do to your finished ammo costs? Not to mention you don’t need to search to find them. This stuff can be made with a 12”x12” table or a scrap of plywood and a couple saw horses in your garage or back yard.

006D796A-E243-44C4-AAC5-868B6724713A.jpeg

Won't be able to make it this year, the Area 7 USPSA Match got rescheduled to that weekend and I'm squaded to shoot on the 27th.

I'll need to keep an eye out for next years seminar, and of course I'll be keeping an eye on the thread.

Thanks for putting it out there!

Wish I could be there.

Love this stuff, and it's exciting to see how my early efforts assisted so many with getting going (in a very solid way!) with casting.

Keep up the good work, Michael. Sorry I missed you on this trip to FL.
We are happy to pass on the knowledge!!
We will shoot the game next time I get down there.

Bump.
215 grain 38 special thumpers! You’re not going to find those on the shelf at your local gun shop. Right now you couldn’t afford them if you did!
Make your own for damn close to free! 2723EA09-B2DD-4042-820D-4DF10B3B4526.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom