2020 Cast Bullet Signup Thread

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are you taking orders yet for a completed unit?
No
I'm swamped between work and my son's engineering classes - third year dual major and all his classes are virtual. Only gets to show up for labs with minimal support.
I should get some of his tuition money for ammo...

I did get to setup a more rigid fixture to cut out the holes in an atx case before he got home from work. If that setup works I'll only need to clean up the corners by hand so making enclosures will be quick.

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The ATX case is just a little too tall to make it easy to machine on my mill. Could fix that by buying an 1/8" MT2 collet but for the $20 a nice case costs it isn't worth my time to disassemble, machine and then paint an atx case. Going to make a couple of blank face plates for the case I have so I don't have to worry about tossing a case because the G-code wasn't perfect the first time.
IMG_20201024_172316572.jpg

IMG_20201024_173504866.jpg

pinebrother1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The ATX case is just a little too tall to make it easy to machine on my mill. Could fix that by buying an 1/8" MT2 collet but for the $20 a nice case costs it isn't worth my time to disassemble, machine and then paint an atx case. Going to make a couple of blank face plates for the case I have so I don't have to worry about tossing a case because the G-code wasn't perfect the first time.
View attachment 403253

View attachment 403252
Looks like reasonable work around to milling the enclosure plate openings is using a nibler as shown on Johnny's Reloading Bench vid: View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns1Y03Ay27c

Think I'm going to dive in and give it a try. Will probably add a fan to the case, in case I want to drive something other than my Lee 20lb in the future. This one seems to get good reviews and is reported to be fairly quiet: View: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Cooling-Ventilation-Projects/dp/B009OWVUJ0

Will provide some updates when I get material on hand and get into assembly.

pinebrother1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Sorry, got side tracked rebuilding a snow blower. Finally got the Easy Bake oven fired up to coat the first batch of boolits from the seminar. Definitely need to get a second basket fab'd up. Went with 4 coats of red copper. Funny how the first couple looked more gold than copper. I was closer to 2.5 ml for 3.1 lbs and maybe a bit lighter on the first couple coats because I didn't want to over do it. They started out about 0.360-0.361 raw and ended up 0.362-0.363 coated. Then like a bonehead I sized them for 0.356 instead of 0.358. Guess I'll be shooting 9mm. Just wanted the teacher to know his efforts were not in vain. Thanks Michael.

The PID controller is done and it works. Will post pics soon. New molds are sooted. Just need to heat and lube. Should be melting lead and hopefully casting by end of the week.

image0(2).jpeg
image0(3).jpeg
image1(1).jpeg

Michael J. Spangler

NES Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Sorry, got side tracked rebuilding a snow blower. Finally got the Easy Bake oven fired up to coat the first batch of boolits from the seminar. Definitely need to get a second basket fab'd up. Went with 4 coats of red copper. Funny how the first couple looked more gold than copper. I was closer to 2.5 ml for 3.1 lbs and maybe a bit lighter on the first couple coats because I didn't want to over do it. They started out about 0.360-0.361 raw and ended up 0.362-0.363 coated. Then like a bonehead I sized them for 0.356 instead of 0.358. Guess I'll be shooting 9mm. Just wanted the teacher to know his efforts were not in vain. Thanks Michael.

The PID controller is done and it works. Will post pics soon. New molds are sooted. Just need to heat and lube. Should be melting lead and hopefully casting by end of the week.

View attachment 414302
View attachment 414304
View attachment 414306
awesome man! Great work!

Top Bottom