2019 Wall of Steel matches

Only 38 spots left!
I’m trying to recruit some new-to-Walls guys who’ve never shot an event like this before. It’s a tough time right now for sure, with so much craziness and people being out of work.

I may have to try it out this year....I've never been but I've been meaning to for the last few years. I live about 30min away from Burrillville so it'd be an easy drive

Only 38 spots left!
I’m trying to recruit some new-to-Walls guys who’ve never shot an event like this before. It’s a tough time right now for sure, with so much craziness and people being out of work.

Hey John, just put myself on the list. Hope this happens! Sent the link to the usual suspects.

This will be my 3rd mini walls. Well worth it if you have not yet gone.

Good people and lots of shooting!

Just registered....Looking forward to it!

I'm a virgin so go easy on me! 😆

Bring at least 200 rounds. Most likely you won’t need nearly that many but you never know. I bring 250 just because. There are no “re-shoots” so once the timer buzzes, you own the stage. If you get a malfunction you must work through it. I bring a spare gun in case of part failures.

Everyone starts from the low ready, muzzle resting on table position. You don’t need to draw from the holster. Throughout the day you can have your gun holstered or cased. It is NEVER loaded until you are instructed to load it. Most reload from mag carriers on the weak hand side, but IIRC you can also just place your mags on the table in front of you. Don’t quote me on that though.

If you fumble a reload and the mag drops to the ground, you don’t try to retrieve it. It’s dead. Grab your next one and move on. If you run out of ammo and there’s still plates standing, that’s it. Figure out where you goofed and shoot better on the next one. ;)

When you’re not shooting you need to help paint and reset plates. If everyone does their part things move along so much quicker and efficiently. Load mags as soon after you shoot as you can, so that you don’t forget and have that “oh shit” moment when you’re up next on the following stage and aren’t prepared.

Of course, have fun, be safe and shoot straight! It’s addicting. You’ll come back for more. :D

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. I've done a number of smaller steel plate/bowling pin shoots around here so I imagine I'll be able to adapt to Walls of Steel

Now that Walls of Steel is under new management. I was wondering if all of the rules and prize structure are the same.
Anyone know?
I was wondering that myself "shootymacshootface" (nice screen name btw :p)

And another thing, with this age of Covid, will the folks be able to accept any form of electronic payment ??
Some of the folks at coffee and convenience places recoil in horror when I whip out cash these days :rolleyes:

There are still slots open on some squads on both days. There is no "too late" IIRC.

-Mike

Even if every slot is filled, out of hundreds of shooters there's bound to be a no-show or several. I'd be willing to bet they could take last-minute walk-ins to fill slots. Don't quote me on that though. That would be a question for guy who took over for Jim.

There are still slots open on some squads on both days. There is no "too late" IIRC.

-Mike

Even if every slot is filled, out of hundreds of shooters there's bound to be a no-show or several. I'd be willing to bet they could take last-minute walk-ins to fill slots. Don't quote me on that though. That would be a question for guy who took over for Jim.

You guys (those interested in Walls) might want to reach out to Tim Burdick. I only know him through 3-gun, so I have no idea what goes on in pistol competitions.

Hopefully not true with the new operators, 20+ person squads is ridiculous :mad:

Annd seeing as I don't think Tim has ever posted in this thread an email might be a good idea.

They look like they're set to 15/squad....

From the latest practiscore msg.

Mini Walls of Steel
I recieved an email about some questions being posted on NES, let me clarify some things, first, i was going to payout top 3 in each division, bit after some discussion, it seems the Lewis class pay out is the more popular so i will be paying out using the Lewis class system a total of $3000 in prize money. Secondly, the fee is $30 cash, i will not have change so the only one at risk of Covid infection will be me and im ok with that. You must register through practiscore.com by tomorrow, there are no walk ons allowed. Check in for am squads will begin at 8am and shooting precisely at 9, afternoon squads will check in starting at 12:15 and begin shooting at 1. Again, the cook shack will be serving food from 1130 to 2 for your convenience. I will have bottles water for a buck ($1) as well at stages. Thank you all and see you this weekend. Tim

at the very least 4 mags and you'd be better off with 5,
I know.....it's only 20-25 targets but it is amazing how fast you can miss ;)

And maybe gloves, everybody sets steel, prim a-donnas need not show up.

I wear 5 mags on my weak side (9mm 1911 and I only load them to 9 rounds because almost 100% of the time, if I load them to 10 they'll nosedive on the reload) plus 10 in the gun to start is 55 rounds at the ready on each stage. I've never fired all of them, but I have once or twice gotten a jam and dropped the in-play mag to clear the jam, reload from the belt and get back on 'em.

I don't know if it was mentioned here before, but for new-comers: Once a mag has hit the ground, you cannot retrieve it while your gun is still in play. Jim always mentioned this at the safety briefing but sometimes it gets missed. Reason being they don't want a shooter kneeling over and possibly pointing the muzzle where it shouldn't be while trying to retrieve a mag on the ground. If it falls on the table in front of you, you're good. Grab it if you need it.

Back
Top Bottom