2019 Tax Thread

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Oh no! NES questions my integrity? And Roland there said everybody thinks I’m an a**h*** now? But who is everybody?
Some of the gang from Northeast shootahs:
Seriously?

You know what... if you don't like it here... Just get the f*** out. Nevermind, f*** that.... I've had enough of your bullshit, between the faggot level, full retard cop hating bullshit, and everything else.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6UA_2tV7g

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That settles it - I’ll use TurboTax from now on.

I have done my taxes for the past 33 years by hand with the exception of 1 and a half years. One year was because I needed to to CT & MA taxes (lived in MA, worked in CT) went to H&R Block. The half year was over two decades ago when I bought Turbo Tax it was flaky and didn’t allow me to account for certain things.

This year I figured I could give it another try (~$55 Deluxe for Federal with E-file and MA) and it works!!! Better than that, I was able to import W2’s and 1099’s!!! No typing BS.

E-trade 1099’s not available for download till Monday but they are multiple page monstrosities this year with job changes/stock options and such. We did exercise some use or lose in 2018 that I did by hand.

If you are curious, I didn’t miss anything filing by hand.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
When I was young I was the idiot the max with held and got 10 k back. Holy shit was that dumb.

Then for years it was pretty easy to figure almost exact to getting less than 100 back. Now with Kids in college its hard to figure the correct withhold. So we do married 0.

Got 2k back this year. It will go towards principal of what little is left of mortgage.

Im on the Dave Ramsey plan of zero debt at 50 years old, 6 months of reserve money banked for a rainy day, and 15 percent going to retirement. No other loans but the mortgage and that will be done in 2 years or less.

Next year we only have 1 in college, so we might have to max 401 k to not pay in. That will be tough to do and pay cash for everything.

Last edited:

TrackDayRdr

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was young I was the idiot the max with held and got 10 k back. Holy shit was that dumb.
Then for years it was pretty easy to figure almost exact to getting less than 100 back. Now with Kids in college its hard to figure the correct withhold. So we do married 0.
Lots of changes to the tax code starting in 2018 and complications on your return only make the withholding game more difficult. It's messy science to begin with but run your situation through this calculator. It's one of the better ways to dial your withholdings in to your situation. If there is a question you don't know the answer to it doesn't apply.

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, as of right now assuming the standard deduction, I owe the Feds $1, and owe the state $2.

I think I peaked here, boys.... I haven't started itemizing yet, and since we only bought the house in June, and I can only claim half the mortgage and property tax, I still might not beat out the standard deduction. We'll see when I start going through it, but this might be the best zero sum game I've ever played with the IRS and DOR.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Yeah. Give that a whirl.

My youngest/oldest (depending on how you look at it) son lived on welfare his entire childhood. ENTIRE childhood. Dad skipped out at an early age. Mom just doesn't like to work. To this day she don't like to work. They moved so that she could get to a city with a better welfare system. Section 8. Food stamps. mASSHealth.

Is it free??? Yes.

Is it worth it??? No. Not a bit. Get your ass to work. Earn a living. Get good services. Repeat. Tri-Care in the military is 100X better than care he got for "free."

While there ARE welfare moms out there (and clearly I know one), they are few and far between because you get NOTHING else and you are a prisoner of the system.
[/QUOT
That is a "joy of technology" cheaters should be caught.

While our very own CCW seems to have figured out how to live off the system W/O paying in he does not seem to be breaking the law (unless there is some undeclared cash involved), just "lucky" enough to be working for family and able to show little income. And, lacking in pride enough to brag about working the system, using free health care and taking handouts, intended for less fortunate.
We aren't questioning CCW's integrity- we are denying it's very existence!
No. I think CCW is running a scam similar to the Clinton foundation.
His big goal is to make under 50k and live off mommy and daddy and suck up services for free. Awesome. Congrats. You may not work hard but your in the prison of not being able to move beyond your little bubble of free shit.

Meanwhile to us the sky is the limit and my bonus after taxes will be double your free tax return.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Seriously?

You know what... if you don't like it here... Just get the f*** out. Nevermind, f*** that.... I've had enough of your bullshit, between the faggot level, full retard cop hating bullshit, and everything else.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6UA_2tV7g
CCW hasn't been seen since that last post. Looks like the mods went all Chinese Communist Party on him and "dissapeared" him.

SmartSelect_20200214-083732_Chrome.jpg

Ps: thank you.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No. I think CCW is running a scam similar to the Clinton foundation.
His big goal is to make under 50k and live off mommy and daddy and suck up services for free. Awesome. Congrats. You may not work hard but your in the prison of not being able to move beyond your little bubble of free shit.

Meanwhile to us the sky is the limit and my bonus after taxes will be double your free tax return.
That is one thing people that like to brag about receiving welfare dont take into account. You might be "gaming" the system, but their lives kinda s*ck. One big expense and their entire savings (if they have any) are gone.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

I have done my taxes for the past 33 years by hand with the exception of 1 and a half years. One year was because I needed to to CT & MA taxes (lived in MA, worked in CT) went to H&R Block. The half year was over two decades ago when I bought Turbo Tax it was flaky and didn’t allow me to account for certain things.

This year I figured I could give it another try (~$55 Deluxe for Federal with E-file and MA) and it works!!! Better than that, I was able to import W2’s and 1099’s!!! No typing BS.

E-trade 1099’s not available for download till Monday but they are multiple page monstrosities this year with job changes/stock options and such. We did exercise some use or lose in 2018 that I did by hand.

Going to H&R Block for your taxes is like throwing $100 bills out the window of a moving car while your dog stays home to complete your tax return.

Everyone - DO NOT GO TO H&R BLOCK. EVER! I mean, DAMN! A real CPA will charge the same or less. I know. Shocking, right? Same or less. For years of experience instead of a piece of software and 6 weeks of training.

We're shooting people in the head now? Wish someone had told me that.
I gotta order more ammo. ROFL!

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0

I am a big fan of Turbo Tax (15 years or so), but still take a pen and go through everything to confirm - occasionally, but rarely, I have found an error or found something I entered incorrectly on some worksheet

You probably know this, but with Etrade (or any brokerage) and stock options - if they are RSUs you need to use an adjusted cost basis versus the cost basis that the 1099 reports; the 1099 reports basis as if you received the shares at $0, when in fact you received them at market price the day they exercised and the difference between $0 and market price of the shares was reported as W2 income. I mention this to everyone as in working with people at my company, only 1 in 10 seem to get this right and pay much more taxes then necessary. ESPPs have similar issues with reported gains being different from the reported gain on the 1099.

Etrade looks to be be providing supplemental 1099 forms if you go to the tax section on your account - these will list your adjusted cost basis

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Going to H&R Block for your taxes is like throwing $100 bills out the window of a moving car while your dog stays home to complete your tax return.

Everyone - DO NOT GO TO H&R BLOCK. EVER! I mean, DAMN! A real CPA will charge the same or less. I know. Shocking, right? Same or less. For years of experience instead of a piece of software and 6 weeks of training.

I gotta order more ammo. ROFL!
I made the mistake of going to H&R once several years ago.
The dudes use the same software we use at home, it was a joke. And then things start to add up.

You have a brokerage account? - $100 more for that.
You have a 1099? - $100 more.

I was like, a $100 for what? - you literally spent 30 seconds typing a number... the guy points at the wall, "that is what we charge for XYZ"...

TrackDayRdr

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of going to H&R once several years ago.
The dudes use the same software we use at home, it was a joke. And then things start to add up.
We interviewed an H&R Block pro for a tax preparer position here at my office and during the visit we asked what the review processes was like. The candidate said "nobody reviews my work because the software does it". Interview over!

No, H&R doesn't use the same software you can buy at home, but even if they did what you should be buying is the expertise of the person who is assembling your information.

BTW, a good CPA won't be less than H&R Block.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
A good CPA makes sure you pay only what you owe and no more. And provides peace of mind.

Peace of mind at my tender age is worth its weight in gold...

:)

We interviewed an H&R Block pro for a tax preparer position here at my office and during the visit we asked what the review processes was like. The candidate said "nobody reviews my work because the software does it". Interview over!

No, H&R doesn't use the same software you can buy at home, but even if they did what you should be buying is the expertise of the person who is assembling your information.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

at $100 per 1099, they certainly will be cheaper.

soloman02

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Your E-Trade 1099s will probably require you to pay for premier. I received a 1099-B (for some crypto sales, and by sales I mean losses [laugh]) and Turbo tax said I had to upgrade to premier, deluxe can't do those 1099s. So that combined with the fact that in order to use form 982 (insolvency worksheet for canceled debts) I had to buy the $100 CD version I decided to look for alternatives.

I went with Tax Act and for $40 I could do everything. 1099-Bs and the obscure form 982. I was going to get about $490 back before the 1099c showed up (as well as the 1099B) with Turbo tax and with TaxAct I got the same amount and even saved money vs TurboTax due to the software cost being lower.

Now I just have to figure out how to amend my 2018 taxes with form 982 that I originally filed with Turbotax online which cannot do form 982.

Last edited:

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
All done PAPER FILING :mad:

Tried Federal E-file and the ongoing issue, they have the wrong DOB for my wife somewhere - mind you the Social Security reports have it correct, she got Real-ID and he Passport is fine - but the IRS rejects it - I'm afraid to try and fix it as this is the government - it will only get worse.

Getting back ~$7K (after the E-trade 1099 data) receiving from the Feds and owing Mass.

Turbo-Tax Premier will be how I do it from now on - much simpler and not so much obsessing.

Refund going to a new SUV for my wife - I think it will be a GMC Acadia Denali from Tucks in Hudson.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
All done PAPER FILING :mad:

Tried Federal E-file and the ongoing issue, they have the wrong DOB for my wife somewhere - mind you the Social Security reports have it correct, she got Real-ID and he Passport is fine - but the IRS rejects it - I'm afraid to try and fix it as this is the government - it will only get worse.
I have had the same problem with my 90 yo mother for the past few years. Can't figure out how to address it without having my mother call but that would most likely include several hours on hold. So I just paper file for her since she always has a zero amount.

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well, for fun (I was playing World of Warships while I was on hold for almost an hour), I called the Social Security Administration. No they can't help me, no they can't talk to me. My wife has to do it (how they know it's her and not my daughter or neighbor it's beyond me) but I just wanted to give them the SSN and they could confirm the birthdate (yes or no) - no dice. My wife has to talk to them, or come into the office - none of that is going to happen as she works, and no generic form exists. Permanent Paper Filing from here on out.

Top Bottom