2019 Steel challenge at Harvard sportsman’s club

Hi folks,
I’m going to give this a go this season and if all goes well and with everyone’s help I will continue it

here's the dates for this years Steel Challenge at HSC

April 20
May 18
June 15
July 20
Sept 21

Oct 19 will be an 8 stage match

Maybe nov 16

6 stages, keeping the price the same at $15, juniors shoot free

New this season
We are going to try pre Registration on practice score

Check in starts at 8:30, when you show up you'll head over to the side of the trailer and under
the overhang the lovely Betsy Grecoe and her hubby Dan will be happy to take your info and your money !
You'll also be directed to fill out out a liability form

We ask that all folks have enough mags or speed loaders to shoot 5 strings, if you show up with
only one mag we might have a problem, if you show up with 2 or 3 mags then we can deal with
that, just know that we will expect you to get some more mags if you get hooked by the steel
Bug

All long guns must be bagged AND flagged before they go into a bag or cart !!

And as always there is no handling of firearms unless under the direct supervision of a Range
Officer or at one of the many "Safe Table" located around the shooting bays.
Absolutely NO AMMO at the safe tables

Here's the link to the Steel Challenge web site Steel Challenge Shooting Association Home Page - US Practical Shooting Assocation
you can check out more info there or if you have any questions you don't want to ask here you can
email me at [email protected]

As always we are looking for help in the form of RO's and nook operators, if you'd like to help let
the folks know when your signing up and we'll take care of you.
It would be nice also if we could get some match directors and stats operators to back up Mike &
myself in case of a vacation, work or whatever comes up.

And please, we expect EVERYONE to help paint targets and pick up brass, if you can't, then maybe
think about bringing out the daughter/son-niece/nephew-grand daughter/grand son or even
some kid from the neighborhood !! (but check with their parents first)

I most likely have forgotten something so I will be back to update the above when needed,
I'll try and keep folks posted through this thread about any updates or changes.

I will check with Bob the food dude and see if he'll be out again this year.

That's it for now, hope to see you at the match !
Ramon

I'm thinking of trying this as well. Some dumb questions I couldn't find in the SC web site.

Is this a pistol only competition or pistol and long gun? See there is a comment about keeping long guns in the cases.
Is a holster and mag holders necessary to compete?
How many round of ammo are needed to complete the 6 strings?
Is membership in SCSA required to compete?

Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking of trying this as well. Some dumb questions I couldn't find in the SC web site.

Is this a pistol only competition or pistol and long gun? See there is a comment about keeping long guns in the cases.

Thanks for the info.
Pistol, pistol caliber carbines, and rimfire pistols/rifles are allowed. No centerfire rifle calibers obviously.
A holster is necessary for centerfire handguns. Rimfire handguns, PCC, and rimfire rifles start at the low ready position. Centerfire handguns must be holstered.
I'd bring at least 200 rounds.
SC membership I don't believe is required?

I'll have to re-read the rules and everything. I'm a USPSA member so I think (?) that makes me a Steel Challenge member, too? I know I got a Steel Challenge patch.

Actually could be fun to try the Scorpion EVO in PCC if I actually buy one.

The USPSA-related podcast I listened to recommended doing Steel Challenge to help build skills.

I'll have to re-read the rules and everything. I'm a USPSA member so I think (?) that makes me a Steel Challenge member, too? I know I got a Steel Challenge patch.

Actually could be fun to try the Scorpion EVO in PCC if I actually buy one.

The USPSA-related podcast I listened to recommended doing Steel Challenge to help build skills.
Yeah it's a lot of fun. I didn't make it to any matches last year but used to go all the time.

Thanks for the info.

A uspsa/SC membership is not required but it’s good to have to track your progress

Are spectators allowed?

Yes, as others have said. Just make sure you have eyes and ears

Thanks for the info.

Below are the recognized divisions. It's basically USPSA divisions (with PCC and Revolver broken into iron and optics) and rimfire handgun and rifle (with iron and optics)

Abbreviation | Division Name
CO | Carry Optics
ISR | Iron Sight Revolver
LTD | Limited
OPN | Open
OSR | Optical Sight Revolver
PCCI | Pistol Caliber Carbine Iron
PCCO | Pistol Caliber Carbine Optics
PROD | Production
RFPI | Rimfire Pistol Iron
RFPO | Rimfire Pistol Open
RFRI | Rimfire Rifle Iron
RFRO | Rimfire Rifle Open
SS | Single Stack

It's 6 stages with 5 strings of 5 shots (150 shots minimum (no misses)). I usually bring double.

Steel Challenge/USPSA Membership is not required

Centefire draws from a holster
rimfire and PCC are from a low ready

Things go much smoother if you have 5 (or more) magazines. If you don't enough mags find someone on your squad to help you. Give them your ammo and you can pass them your mags to top off. Better yet, post what gun you're shooting, other shooters may have extra they can loan you for the day.

If you've never done any kind of "action shooting" Steel Challenge is an excellent gateway sport. All but one of the stages do not require movement and you (hopefully) don't have to worry about reloading "on the clock". You can also use a cheap to feed rimfire.

Thanks for the info.

Hey Mike ?? We used to allow center fire pistol folks to start low ready if they weren't comfortable drawing out
out of the holster just yet, just added a 2 second penalty, can we still do that ?

Hey Mike ?? We used to allow center fire pistol folks to start low ready if they weren't comfortable drawing out
out of the holster just yet, just added a 2 second penalty, can we still do that ?

That would be for Ramon to decide [wink]

We have done it in the past. The issue is that now that we are reporting results to SCSA it's not an "official" penalty. However, I doubt that anyone with a valid USPSA/SCSA number would be taking this so it probably doesn't really matter.

I had this debate at a match last year
If you don’t have a uspsa number I really don’t care if you wanted to shoot low ready
But if by that your pushing down placement of someone that does have one I don’t think that’s rite either
So rules are there for a reason
All Centerfire pistols/revolvers must be shot from a holster

I had this debate at a match last year
If you don’t have a uspsa number I really don’t care if you wanted to shoot low ready
But if by that your pushing down placement of someone that does have one I don’t think that’s rite either
So rules are there for a reason
All Centerfire pistols/revolvers must be shot from a holster
Agree

Ramon - Have you considered allowing a new shooter who is not comfortable drawing from a holster to shoot the match but not for score?
Getting new shooters into the shooting sports is important.
At a local club near me they encourage new shooters to start from low ready and do not put scores into Practiscore.
Those shooters are usually hooked after the first match and return ready to draw from a holster at the next..

Paul that is an excellent idea
I also want to encourage new shooters !!!

If this is something you want to do please PM me or let me know when you get to the match and we will help you threw the match

Thanks Paul

Registration on Practice score opens up on 13th

For this match we will be doing 1 Gun per competitor just so I can get a handle on this first match but I plan on allowing 2 guns for the next one if all goes well

Thanks all,
Ramon

Registration on Practice score opens up on 13th

For this match we will be doing 1 Gun per competitor just so I can get a handle on this first match but I plan on allowing 2 guns for the next one if all goes well

Thanks all,
Ramon

I went ahead and opened registration. This is going to be a learning process. Depending on how many shooters and RO's we get we will likely have to move some people around.

HSC SC April Match

Back
Top Bottom