• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2019 Panic Buying

If they ban something, especially in blue states, we will be talking about confiscation or, if you are lucky, confiscation with a few bucks of compensation.

I've actually been thinking about this. Lets say a semi-auto ban is enacted in all the Congressional Panic and they set a date of 1/01/2020 to begin confiscation.
All semi-autos must be dropped off somewhere, but until that date you are free to buy and sell as before.

Do you dump most of your collection into the hands of new shooters that were never able to purchase some classic platforms at a reasonable price (vs. 0 dollars for confiscated firearms)
and sell to those that would be most likely to resist a turn-in? I.E "Spreading Freedom..."

While I think the likelihood of this is very, very small, a country-wide demand by a spun-up populace could bend it that way. All we need is a few more "special events" and it could happen.

So what do you think? Sell now or turn in later sans compensation...

Sorry some folks have asked for the update and I forgot to post. ARs have definitely picked up and I sold 5 today, not panic buying but more of a consumer awareness. Ammo and magazines have been selling as well. 60 or so PMAGs gone in the past two days from my observations.

Those of you “stocking up” on ammunition and don’t reload, should consider putting that money towards Reloading equipment and components.
Nah reloading is for weirdos.
Definitely leave all that powder and primers in the gun stores. They’re not good to have.
They go bad if not used up in a week or two.

Nah reloading is for weirdos.
Definitely leave all that powder and primers in the gun stores. They’re not good to have.
They go bad if not used up in a week or two.

...not to mention all the special permits one needs to keep powder and primers laying around your home.

That reminds me, I need to run down to the fire station and notify the chief I now have more primers at home than most countries in the EU ;-)

...not to mention all the special permits one needs to keep powder and primers laying around your home.

That reminds me, I need to run down to the fire station and notify the chief I now have more primers at home than most countries in the EU ;-)

Totally not worth it.

Have you seen this? Classic. There's a longer version of the guy blabbing like a cocky schmuck but this one should do:

I’ve never seen that video, but that turn is a bitch because you’re going blind uphill. I had one guy behind me that almost spun out, but he was able to catch and correct it, but he was nearly sideways for a second. It’s exhilarating and scary at the same time, especially when the suspension compresses down, because the next turn (right turn) takes you back down hill, and then you blast out on the open straight. So you go from 3rd gear to 6th (in my case) in a very short period of time.

I've actually been thinking about this. Lets say a semi-auto ban is enacted in all the Congressional Panic and they set a date of 1/01/2020 to begin confiscation.
All semi-autos must be dropped off somewhere, but until that date you are free to buy and sell as before.

Do you dump most of your collection into the hands of new shooters that were never able to purchase some classic platforms at a reasonable price (vs. 0 dollars for confiscated firearms)
and sell to those that would be most likely to resist a turn-in? I.E "Spreading Freedom..."

While I think the likelihood of this is very, very small, a country-wide demand by a spun-up populace could bend it that way. All we need is a few more "special events" and it could happen.

So what do you think? Sell now or turn in later sans compensation...

I'm not turning anything in, ever. If they want to come with SWAT and take it, they can have it without resistance, but the politicians who order it better sleep with one eye open.

I’ve never seen that video, but that turn is a bitch because you’re going blind uphill. I had one guy behind me that almost spun out, but he was able to catch and correct it, but he was nearly sideways for a second. It’s exhilarating and scary at the same time, especially when the suspension compresses down, because the next turn (right turn) takes you back down hill, and then you blast out on the open straight. So you go from 3rd gear to 6th (in my case) in a very short period of time.

I've driven like 6 tracks but Lime Rock was the scariest for some reason. Lack of run-off room maybe. I did go off-roading once, I think on the turn after the main straight. I ran it in the rain once, which was fun.

I've driven like 6 tracks but Lime Rock was the scariest for some reason. Lack of run-off room maybe. I did go off-roading once, I think on the turn after the main straight. I ran it in the rain once, which was fun.

No run-off and narrow corners make it challenging. Planning on a weekend at Watkins Glen in early October. That’s supposed to be a great track for trackable road cars.

Rain would be hell at LR. The entrance to the track from pit lane is a pain because you have to go from 30mph to at least 90 very quickly, then slam on the brakes to hit Turn 1.

I'm not turning anything in, ever.

Nor I. It would feel like watching my kids and family being packed off in cattle cars and sent to the camps. Nope can't do it.
I was trying to get a feel for other's feelings. Thanks for your reply Varmint.

~Matt

iu

That is indeed a tough corner and the chicane is right there too at the top of the hill. I wish I had my old camera or at least recover the pics that I had riding at Lime Rock. Seeing all the vipers together was cool. Knowing that I was driving in one makes it even cooler lol.

That is indeed a tough corner and the chicane is right there too at the top of the hill. I wish I had my old camera or at least recover the pics that I had riding at Lime Rock. Seeing all the vipers together was cool. Knowing that I was driving in one makes it even cooler lol.

I was kicking myself all day for not taking my GoPro. I was there with the NYC Metro PCCA chapter. I've never seen so many GT3s, GT3 RSs, and GT4s in one place at the same time. Not even on Porsche Day at Larz Anderson. There was a McLaren there too, and one guy in a fully built Z4. I clocked him at 54.XX seconds. I was lapping at ~1:15-1:20, so I was really in awe of the times he was putting down.

I was kicking myself all day for not taking my GoPro. I was there with the NYC Metro PCCA chapter. I've never seen so many GT3s, GT3 RSs, and GT4s in one place at the same time. Not even on Porsche Day at Larz Anderson. There was a McLaren there too, and one guy in a fully built Z4. I clocked him at 54.XX seconds. I was lapping at ~1:15-1:20, so I was really in awe of the times he was putting down.

I bet I know who the Z4 driver was. It's someone I work with who loves the BMW z series and drives at lime rock all the time.

I was just at FS to pick up some ammo. Place was jammed. Wednesday afternoon at 2pm and there were at least 20-25 people at the kiosk or filling out the paperwork to buy something. They were way under staffed and said they really didn’t expect this type of crowd on a random Wed afternoon. Felt like some panic buying to me.

TSUSA seemed normal yesterday. Lots of 99+ amounts available on common calibers. Same for AR parts at a few different sites.

I used to think the Viper was a POS til I saw one lapping at Lime Rock. Then I wanted one, lol.

I shoot 3 types of 223/556, PMC Bronze; Wolf Gold and Federal XM 193(20rd Box). All three out of stock as of 5:30. 1st time this has happened to me.

I was ordering last night and was seeing low case quantities for the first time ever, usually it is 99+ of the common stuff but not last night

Back
Top Bottom