2019 NES Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

@Artie @76Too
Did either of you load any of those bullets yet? I know for a fact both of you left with some that were coated.
I know you’ve both been home for less than 24 hours but who knows maybe you loaded some.

What was the pewter we shouldnt get becsuse it's not really pewter?
When you find pewter take some time to try and ID some marks. Some can be worth a good amount.
Modern pewters for food contact are mostly tin and antimony, pretty good stuff.
some pewter contains zinc and copper also.

pewter runs $18-20 lb in ignot form from metal

Last edited:
@Artie @76Too
Did either of you load any of those bullets yet? I know for a fact both of you left with some that were coated.
I know you’ve both been home for less than 24 hours but who knows maybe you loaded some.

It'll be a few weeks for me, unfortunately. I'm still buttoning things up for the 'big move' on Sunday and all my reloading equipment is already in Indy.

I'll post some photos when I make some progress though. I'm really excited to try out that new .30cal mould from @1919FAN too! Such an excellent job you guys do with the seminar...I hope you both know how much we all appreciate you lending all of us your expertise!

It'll be a few weeks for me, unfortunately. I'm still buttoning things up for the 'big move' on Sunday and all my reloading equipment is already in Indy.

I'll post some photos when I make some progress though. I'm really excited to try out that new .30cal mould from @1919FAN too! Such an excellent job you guys do with the seminar...I hope you both know how much we all appreciate you lending all of us your expertise!

I was wondering if all of that stuff was already packed up and shipped out.
What mold number was it again? I forgot to check it out.
Happy to pass it on. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I have had a ton of mentors in reloading and casting and because they’ve all be older than me and suffer from the “I can’t get enough of this shit even though I have 2 lifetimes worth of shooting and reloading supplies”disease I can’t find a way to gift them anything to say thanks that they don’t already own 2 dozen of.
So I figured the best thing I can do to pay them back is to pass on the knowledge and keep their art alive.
I can’t thank the attendees enough for showing up. Keep this art alive!

@Artie @76Too
I haven't yet but have showed everyone I know how you can go from wheel weights to some beautiful bullets. I am on-call this weekend and plan on loading up some different loads for testing on Monday. Will post pics. Was such a good seminar. Thanks again

I haven't yet but have showed everyone I know how you can go from wheel weights to some beautiful bullets. I am on-call this weekend and plan on loading up some different loads for testing on Monday. Will post pics. Was such a good seminar. Thanks again
You’re very welcome. Thank you for coming. Awesome man! I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who walks around with a cast Buker in my pocket from time to time. Just waiting to show anyone that will give me the time of day. Which bullets did you cast? The 45 round nose and some 30 cal? Did you get to size all of them?

About 150 of the .452" 230gr RN. 3 coats of Hi-Tek and all sized. I have a ton of W231 and will try some different loads with that, unless I get out and grab another powder. Didn't grab any of the 30 cal, just helped coat them.

This is the website that has just about anything you could want to know.

How about some of the other attendees? What did you think of the class? What would you like to see be done differently? More or something? Less of something? Different topics?
Please give us some feedback. It helps us to plan the next seminar.

One thing that I think could be done differently that may help is, in the beginning, have a brief overview/outline without too much detail of the entire process.
From Wheel weights to ingots to bullet to coating/lubing.

One thing that I think could be done differently that may help is, in the beginning, have a brief overview/outline without too much detail of the entire process.
From Wheel weights to ingots to bullet to coating/lubing.

I like that idea.
I also though of using more of an outline next year to keep us on topic. Also to give time for the presenters that have most experience in a topic without us walking over each other. We tend to interject a lot. It was the coffee I swear.

Seating the bullet to the crimp groove gives me an OAL of 1.75. It fits the cylinder at that length. I have read a couple recipes online that have exceeded the 1.60 OAL but by only a bit. Should I seat past the crimp groove? What about pressures?20191122_171557.jpg

Seating the bullet to the crimp groove gives me an OAL of 1.75. It fits the cylinder at that length. I have read a couple recipes online that have exceeded the 1.60 OAL but by only a bit. Should I seat past the crimp groove? What about pressures?View attachment 314117
What cartridge? 45 Colt?
That’s actually a lube groove. I have a similar profile and I seat it shorter so that the bearing surface shows about .030” or so out of the case.
As long as they fit the cylinder I wouldn’t worry. If the recipe calls for a 1.600” and you’re loading to 1.750” it is in effect increasing case volume and lowering pressures. What powder? What charge?

Yes, 45 Colt. Jeeze, I knew it was a lube groove too. I am going with W231 as I have a ton of it. Still trying to figure out the charge. Not much in my books (Lee, Hornady, Lyman) for this grain bullet. Looks like a start maybe around 6.5grs. Probably will go out for a ride tomorrow and grab a jug Unique if I struggle anymore. Thanks

Yes, 45 Colt. Jeeze, I knew it was a lube groove too. I am going with W231 as I have a ton of it. Still trying to figure out the charge. Not much in my books (Lee, Hornady, Lyman) for this grain bullet. Looks like a start maybe around 6.5grs. Probably will go out for a ride tomorrow and grab a jug Unique if I struggle anymore. Thanks
Yeah the 230 isn’t a normal bullet for the Colt but along the same lines as loading longer. You can use load data for a 250 grain bullet with a 230 grain bullet. Lighter bullet. Less pressure.
It’s a decent rule of thumb but always has exceptions of course.
You could have a 230 grain wadcutter that would seat deeper and obviously have higher pressures.
Comparable shapes and weights are easy to interchange with a little thought.

Going to start with 6.5 of W231 and work it up. My OAL will be at 1.655 which exceeds all book's max but my cylinder is long and it fits. It also looks good. Seating at 1.60 would require a lot of crimp to make it look right and... it didn't look right. The press is all setup and I will startup tomorrow and on Monday I hope to have a good report.20191122_192700.jpg20191122_192516.jpg

Going to start with 6.5 of W231 and work it up. My OAL will be at 1.655 which exceeds all book's max but my cylinder is long and it fits. It also looks good. Seating at 1.60 would require a lot of crimp to make it look right and... it didn't look right. The press is all setup and I will startup tomorrow and on Monday I hope to have a good report.View attachment 314142View attachment 314143

that OAL looks and sounds good. Just deep enough so the crimp follows the profile of the ogive. 45 Colt usually uses a flat point bullet because of the common use of that cartridge in lever guns and the worries of a pointy bullet setting off the primer of the next cartridge in the tube.
So a round nose profile will give a longer OAL.
I have a nice NOE 453423 mold. It was Elmer Keith’s bullet for the 45 auto rim and 45 ACP. It works great in 45 colt too.

that OAL looks and sounds good. Just deep enough so the crimp follows the profile of the ogive. 45 Colt usually uses a flat point bullet because of the common use of that cartridge in lever guns and the worries of a pointy bullet setting off the primer of the next cartridge in the tube.
So a round nose profile will give a longer OAL.
I have a nice NOE 453423 mold. It was Elmer Keith’s bullet for the 45 auto rim and 45 ACP. It works great in 45 colt too.
I looked up the mold, like the profile.

Back
Top Bottom