2019 NES Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

Savers is hit or miss for anything. You need to get to know whos sorting the boxes. Problem is this changes often.
Look at salvation army stores and Habitat for Humanity stores
As for toaster ovens - there often not much more new.

Antique stores are good also.
Go with your list and let them know your looking for modern/low value stuff stuff .
Dollar stores sometimes have some pretty hefty stainless ladles-sometimes.

Keep a list handy . Stop at any consignment/used junk/yard sales in your normal travels.
Its the random stops that tend to turn up the best stuff for me. When I go "looking" it seems hard to find anything.

Found my propane tank to cut last night. Although it felt empty, put an old regulator on it and let it sit out overnight open to air. Cut the handle off tonight and removed the valve. Rinsed out twice with water and dishsoap and will let it sit out tonight, upside-down, to evacuate any residual gas. Will cut it with a cutoff wheel tomorrow night.
20191212_172519.jpg20191212_174333.jpg

Found my propane tank to cut last night. Although it felt empty, put an old regulator on it and let it sit out overnight open to air. Cut the handle off tonight and removed the valve. Rinsed out twice with water and dishsoap and will let it sit out tonight, upside-down, to evacuate any residual gas. Will cut it with a cutoff wheel tomorrow night.
View attachment 317912View attachment 317913
Nice!!
Do you have some lead to smelt yet?
I totally forgot, how did you make out with the bullets you cast at the seminar?

Nice!!
Do you have some lead to smelt yet?
I totally forgot, how did you make out with the bullets you cast at the seminar?
I think I have a bucket of wheelweights coming soon, fingers crossed.

I did some load development with W231 but decided I need a different powder for the 45lc. Just haven't bought it yet.

I think I have a bucket of wheelweights coming soon, fingers crossed.

I did some load development with W231 but decided I need a different powder for the 45lc. Just haven't bought it yet.
There was leftover lead from @BillNed at the end of the seminar. Let me know if you need some. It was pure.
Did they shoot ok though?

Appreciate the offer. I left a chunk of pure lead also to payback for whatever I cast.

They shot well but real dirty. I am excited to grab a different powder and see if I can do a bit better

View attachment 317912View attachment 317913
Cut the tank in half this morning. For anyone going to try this, using a cutoff wheel was taking too long. Tried the sawzall with a metal cutting blade and that was fast and easy. Cleaned up the edges with the angle grinder. 20191214_101335.jpg

When I made my tank into a kettle, the top with the valve hole got three bolts welded to it to cover the pot. An added bonus is being able to drop in weights that are wet. They pop like corn and won't splash the melt. I use a 30lb. ladle to fill multiple molds without a refill.

Cut the tank in half this morning. For anyone going to try this, using a cutoff wheel was taking too long. Tried the sawzall with a metal cutting blade and that was fast and easy. Cleaned up the edges with the angle grinder. View attachment 318220
I was going to mention this earlier but my phone went dead and I forget to finish it.
I made a bottom poor out of the last tank. It worked but To make it more comfortable to use the bottom poor I would need to make a elevated platform. Im just never going to get that done so back to top laddle.

@Artie you make anything yet?
Need to grab a furnace and a couple molds at Shooting Supply. Other than that, have everything i need. Even a bag of sawdust and some old spent candles. Hoping to get out to Shooters soon as I am itching to get going on some .308 and 45LC. There is a decent deal on a furnace in the classifieds in NH but seller won't ship. Santa left me a Lyman digital thermometer so am almost there.

Need to grab a furnace and a couple molds at Shooting Supply. Other than that, have everything i need. Even a bag of sawdust and some old spent candles. Hoping to get out to Shooters soon as I am itching to get going on some .308 and 45LC. There is a decent deal on a furnace in the classifieds in NH but seller won't ship. Santa left me a Lyman digital thermometer so am almost there.
Awesome!

maybe we need to do a little impromptu get together for the guys that have moved forward and are casting. half a dozen guys to screw around and make some bullets.
That would be great. We could also share some reloading wisdom.

I might start reloading .308 for long range to be used in a single shot bolt action (no mag to feed it), so I have a lot of questions about that.

I know about fire forming straight walled brass for BP, but I was reading about doing the same for .308 and it was a little different with sizing the next and all that fun stuff.

That would be great. We could also share some reloading wisdom.

I might start reloading .308 for long range to be used in a single shot bolt action (no mag to feed it), so I have a lot of questions about that.

I know about fire forming straight walled brass for BP, but I was reading about doing the same for .308 and it was a little different with sizing the next and all that fun stuff.
@1919FAN
What do you think? Little sunday funday?

Let’s do it again, I’m a slow learner

I showed up twice for multiple reasons! The second time was for reinforcement of the knowledge and getting better practice under expert supervision. Can't beat the price of the seminar with those amazing friggen donuts, all you can drink keurig coffee, and the pizza! If I can schedule a visit again next year to coordinate with the seminar, I most certainly will.

Me...I'm still working on cleaning up the f***ing mess my fiancee' made of the house before i got here. My reloading room is taking priority, but it's still taken me over a month to even find all the boxes that need to get unpacked into it. No idea why I'm (allegedly) marrying this chick eventually...she's worse than a damn teenager.

I wish I was there for this! A smaller crowd with more specification toward BP cartridge reloading would be basically exactly what I need to get my 1889 Schmidt-Rubin going!
Bahhh swing on back down. The plane ticket is worth it for the portugee donuts

Back
Top Bottom