• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2019 NES Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

Might want to look into plain base bullets and the mold companies are really coming out with some nice stuff just for coated bullet use.
I need to read-up on gas checks and figure out what I really want to do as they are cheap enough. My understanding is that a GC will allow me to push a softer lubed bullet at higher velocity. If I coat, I don't have to lube but can't push as fast. Can you coat and GC? I have some reading to do and will put getting a 30cal mold on hold till I understand it better. Thanks.

I need to read-up on gas checks and figure out what I really want to do as they are cheap enough. My understanding is that a GC will allow me to push a softer lubed bullet at higher velocity. If I coat, I don't have to lube but can't push as fast. Can you coat and GC? I have some reading to do and will put getting a 30cal mold on hold till I understand it better. Thanks.
You can coat and gas check. Not sure it’s needed really. With a hard enough alloy and coating you should be able to get it done.
There are some great threads on RPM threshold on castboolits.
Basically get a slower twist and you can up the velocity.

Theres so much over load on info. I cant say for coatings BUT it seems the coated bullets where brougt on by the pistol shooters and for the most part thats 750-1000fps range.
I have pushed some plain base bullets pretty fast because in my head I see my somewhat soft alloy obturating plenty enough to seal the bore along with the lube.
In my k98 the bore is pretty worn and rough and my personal reasoning for gas checks is that I get a lot of inconsistent accuracy shooting my 8mm cast with out a gas check. My thoughts are the cast bullets i use do not seal well with out the gas check getting a lot of gas blow by. So I gas check bullets that have the option, unless im loading gallery 25/50 yard fun loads under 1000fps.

I have had no real leading issues with cast loads in rifles. Im right at 400 rounds with the 1903a3 with just a bore swipe between range trips to prevent rust. I might break the 1903A3 out and bore scope it.

My 1911 will lead up on alloy thats to hard. I think I could get away with pure lead in my 1911 since I only push those just fast enough to cycle the action.

Some where out there I read the max RPM for cast rifle bullets is around that 125,000 rpm range +/- 10,000 rpm or so ? Although what we are doing is loading cast bullets in rifle twists that are "to fast" in the ideal sense. If you play around with the twist rate calculators it gets even more confusing. Good thing is 100 years ago they figured alot of this out for us.
16 grains of 2400 behind 150-200 grain bullet out of the 1/10 1/12 twist military rifles is a great start with out getting crazy with alloys.

almost everyone I meet that does not shoot cast say the 1903a3 barrel twist is way to fast for cast bullets and they will tumble and or explode. Well maybe if your pushing them at jacketed velocities?

Here is a bore scope from a while back when I first started casting to use in CMP. After 150 rounds of cast with wheel weight alloy , Lee Tumble Lube , gas checked. I think if your bullet is sealing correctly and the lube is doing its job it should act like a nice 22lr and other than some powder fouling should stay loooking very good.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=30&v=4sFKquKvlfo&feature=emb_logo

last season I pushed my 1903a3 to about 400 rounds with out "cleaning" and honestly other than a good patch scrub and oil I dont deep clean my rifles often unless accuracy just drops.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom