• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2019 MA Turkey Season

Its borderline retarded. I mean...why don't we have a sticker for deer as well? and pheasant, and squirrels. I mean a if a sticker is a cure for all hunting accidents. Why shouldn't it be on every gun, bow and crossbow?

Or...its just something an EPO can write you a ticket on in Turkey season..... Yeah...that's more like it. Same reason you can't use #2 shot anymore. Dumb.

Again...why I hunt NH and other states when it comes to Turkey and Deer. The rules in MA are just plain stupid.
The concept is that orange is not worn during turkey season. Still stupid.....but that was the reasoning behind it.

The concept is that orange is not worn during turkey season. Still stupid.....but that was the reasoning behind it.

But its ok to hunt coyotes with a high power rifle with no orange on? With bowhunters in the same woods with no orange on?

Honestly I wear an orange hat while turkey hunting while moving just because common sense says its better than a green sticker on my gun.

But its ok to hunt coyotes with a high power rifle with no orange on? With bowhunters in the same woods with no orange on?

Honestly I wear an orange hat while turkey hunting while moving just because common sense says its better than a green sticker on my gun.
Agrees the rule is stupid.

Just saying what the states reasoning is on it

Agrees the rule is stupid.

Just saying what the states reasoning is on it

Yeah...I know. Should be optional, not carry a fine. Sticker does nothing for safety. Like Bob said it was part of a NWTF thing the state picked up.

I wear orange, but dont agree we should have to be told to or mandated to....for any season.

Although, I fully believe orange has saved more than a few lives over the years.

Yeah...I know. Should be optional, not carry a fine. Sticker does nothing for safety. Like Bob said it was part of a NWTF thing the state picked up.

I wear orange, but dont agree we should have to be told to or mandated to....for any season.

Although, I fully believe orange has saved more than a few lives over the years.
I'm also a fan of "hunter orange is good advice that nobody should be required to wear by law" kind of guy.....and I always wear orange in the woods except for turkey season. I wear an orange hat to get to my spot and ditch it once I get the decoys set up and get to my hide though.

I even wear orange when I'm squirrel hunting lol

Do you have to be 500ft if you just tackle it and strangle it??? They seem to congregate in the yard next to my son's bus stop in the AM. Oh sure, the kids would be permanently traumatized (think the cow scene in Napoleon Dynamite) but I'd get a decent Tom out of it.

This.

Get them NOW if you need one. It’s better than getting a ticket.

“You also need an official safety sticker on your firearm positioned so you can see it when sighting down the barrel. For a new or replacement sticker, visit any MassWildlife office or send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
MassWildlife
ATTN: Turkey safety sticker
1 Rabbit Hill Road
Westborough, MA 01581”

Wild turkey hunting regulations

Where do you get the retard stickers?

Pardon my ignorance, first season.

Lol... was posted in this thread

Do you need to plug a shotgun to limit number of rounds for Turkey hunting that can be in the gun?

Tips:
Turkey have tiny brains. They think of only 3 things.

How/where can I avoid getting eaten
How/where can I get food.
How/where can I get laid.

I like to go out the night before - right at dusk - with a barred owl call and try to get a shock gobble. If I get one I'll get out to the area before light in the AM and set up. Start calling with the box call maybe 5 minutes after the crack of light. If my night before scout yields nothing I'll go to a different area in the AM. Again before light. Right at the crack of light, I'll use the owl call again to try to get a shock gobble. After about 30 min after first light I'll switch to the box call. After that, I'll call from a spot for a bit, maybe 20 or 30. If I get nothing I move a few hundred yards, find another tree to sit against and rinse and repeat... I don't bother with decoys and my turkey vest has an orange patch on the back.

Truth be told most of my turkey hunting turns into whitetail scouting. Walking around looking at last year's sign..

Do you need to plug a shotgun to limit number of rounds for Turkey hunting that can be in the gun?

You do if hunting CT...

Legal Firearms: Shotguns, 20 gauge or larger, with: #4, 5, 6, 7 1/2 shot, or any combination. Shotguns must not be capable of holding more than 3 shells.

DEEP: Turkey Hunting

I know this is the MA thread but just FYI

If anyone is in need of a sticker before Monday and hasn’t already sent out for them, PM me. I think I have a half sheet of them in a turkey hunting book that’s sitting on my book shelf.
I gave up turkey hunting several years ago (they are always in neighborhoods, never in legal shoot areas around here).
I may try again some day but with toddler and newborn, my free time doesn’t allow for it right now. ;)

ETA: I only had one left and it's been gifted. Good luck out there folks. Be safe.

Last edited:
Friend and I got out early(ish) this morning, sat down about 5:25, a little before shooting light. Went to a spot he’d seen a lot of turkey over the last few weeks. About 6:00 we heard what I thought was a Canada goose honking over and over. Turned out it was a hen flying down into our field. It landed about 200 yards away, made a shit ton of noise, and started pecking around. 10-15 minutes later it took off and flew away. Had another hunter crash out of the woods in our spot about 8:00 and sort of blew up the spot. Was hoping to get a bird in range but I’ve already seen more turkey than last year so it was a good day.

I’d been thinking last week about why I didn’t get out more last year. It was a tough reminder this morning when my alarm went off at 3:00. Ugh.

Friend and I got out early(ish) this morning, sat down about 5:25, a little before shooting light. Went to a spot he’d seen a lot of turkey over the last few weeks. About 6:00 we heard what I thought was a Canada goose honking over and over. Turned out it was a hen flying down into our field. It landed about 200 yards away, made a shit ton of noise, and started pecking around. 10-15 minutes later it took off and flew away. Had another hunter crash out of the woods in our spot about 8:00 and sort of blew up the spot. Was hoping to get a bird in range but I’ve already seen more turkey than last year so it was a good day.

I’d been thinking last week about why I didn’t get out more last year. It was a tough reminder this morning when my alarm went off at 3:00. Ugh.
Keep at it.

I was out this AM as well....after moving a couple of times I heard a gobble around 8AM. I call...he returns it (and getting closer)...I call again...he's closer.... That's when the dirt bike showed up! !@#$!@$#!@$@ I never saw the bird or where it went! :(

Back
Top Bottom