• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2019 Fishing Thread

Was out yesterday for about an hour. 13 fish landed. 1 perch chasing a perch lure (CANNIBAL!), 4 decent sized bass and 8 nasty-ass small Picks. I hate pickerel.

Saw 2 bluegill and. . . A PUNKINSEED in the reeds. I've caught pumpkinseeds at the other side of the lake but never seen one anywhere else.

13 fish was nice in that short period of time. One every 5 min or so. Just wish the bass-to-pick ratio was 2:1 the other way.

Part of it is knowing where to go and when. This particular reedy area is SWARMING with pickerel after July 4 normally. I'll got to the structure in the lake and avoid pickerel the rest of the Summer. If I want them, I'll drift and run a spinnerbait through the sporadic pads that cover much of the water. I'll hit a few prehistoric looking ones that way.

But them being THIS prolific THIS early in this spot - even with the wrong water temps and water depths - is strange.

And I'm with you. I should just whack them on the side of the boat and let em go. I can't do that. Just not in my nature.

Tried some new spots on a small river local to me. Got these two nice rainbows that were probably stocked last week. First one was about 14” and the second was about 12”. Both went belly up after reeling them in so they became dinner.

6CDB5F91-2DA2-4CDF-8561-12D84A1426C8.jpeg 8FBA22A6-5910-46F6-AA81-BFFA8E72330D.jpeg

caught this little crappie at my club's pond last weekend. Realizing that I need a boat.. LOL fishing from shore is quite limited.
You’re right about being a bit limited, but if you do a little scouting you can find some really nice spots that I think boat guys often overlook.

Got this beauty. My first outing in years. Small steam in Hanson supposed to be stocked but this was a hold over 14 1/2 inches.

Attachments

• 8E595A47-05A4-46F3-819B-82BD9FD0CCB8.jpeg
    8E595A47-05A4-46F3-819B-82BD9FD0CCB8.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 1826F7F8-9FDC-43D9-B6C7-B03CF9941AD7.jpeg
    1826F7F8-9FDC-43D9-B6C7-B03CF9941AD7.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 37
Found a new hole close to home. Caught 3 rainbows. The first one bit my rooster tail and I reeled him up to shore. Got him to my feet and as he flapped the line broke with the lure stil in his mouth. Remember this.

Second was small and was an easy release.

The pictured fish was my third. He really got the treble hook and started bleeding. I tried to revive him but he wasn’t going to make it. His final flap carried him into about 3’ of water but I wasn’t about to waste him so I decided to get a little damp in order to retrieve him.

As I was cleaning him in the creek I saw some turbulence on the surface of the pool where I was fishing. Just beneath the surface I saw my orange and gold lure and that rainbow I already caught. Not sure if he was feeding or too weak to swim, because it was too deep for me to grab him. Really hope he was feeding.

53A6F4C7-CFFD-440C-90E8-889020E2B3C9.jpeg

Did good Friday. Got BIG pick and while reeling in the other rod went off and got BIG small mouth. Managed to get them both in boat for picture and clean release. The top of my live well measures 20" across that smallie is on. IMG_4668.JPG IMG_4677.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4667.JPG
    IMG_4667.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 9
Just got back from Lake of The Woods, Kenora Ontario. Hit the LOTW Grand Slam several times- small mouth, pike, and walleye. No Monsters, but those walleye are delicious!

Woot!!!! Nice fish!

Was out various times all weekend. Nothing. Nada. Well, 6 fish. But this time of year, I should have double or triple that.

Saturday I was shallow in the reeds. Nothing. Had to work my ass off for a few fish. Plenty of picks deep in the reeds if you wanted them. I didn't.

Sunday more of the same. And then I tried a rock pile. 3-4 weeks ago, it was teeming with fish. Pulled up the fish finder. Nada. Did nab one angry Smallie. He was fun. And pretty. Otherwise, nothing. A few perch nibbles on my spinnerbait.

In a week or two, the lily-pads will be up fully. Maybe I'll find some fish then schooling up. For now, it's like a wasteland out there.

View attachment 289981 View attachment 289982 View attachment 289983
Well, after a 9year hiatus I bought another hole in the water. Looking forward to fishing the Quabbin and other places with friends and especially my kids. Life is pretty good for the Pup1 family.

Nice boat. Just be aware that you have to get it powerwashed at a special place and they put a seal between your boat and trailer. If the seal is removed (so you can fish other places, you have to get it washed again before you can use it in the Quabbin again.

Nice boat. Just be aware that you have to get it powerwashed at a special place and they put a seal between your boat and trailer. If the seal is removed (so you can fish other places, you have to get it washed again before you can use it in the Quabbin again.
I am aware of the process for Quabbin. They do a cold weather storage seal in November, so no hot bath is needed. I’ll fish it in the early part of the season. It’s $45 to have the decon done and the times they do it aren’t very convenient.

I am aware of the process for Quabbin. They do a cold weather storage seal in November, so no hot bath is needed. I’ll fish it in the early part of the season. It’s $45 to have the decon done and the times they do it aren’t very convenient.
Yeah, I have friends who do the cold-weather thing. I have another boat so it's not an issue. Also, unless they've recently changed their rules, you can't have carpeted bunks on your trailer. I had to replace mine with raw pressure treated lumber.

Yeah, I have friends who do the cold-weather thing. I have another boat so it's not an issue. Also, unless they've recently changed their rules, you can't have carpeted bunks on your trailer. I had to replace mine with raw pressure treated lumber.
First thing I did was take off the felt off the bunks. It’s not just for Quabbin but for other ponds. The thought of invasive plants being transferred to another place bothers me.

Back
Top Bottom