• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2019 Fishing Thread

Perfect day out today once again out fished by a 6 year old. Wouldent want it any other way. Also built a snowman between flags

Attachments

• AD5BF5BA-3C81-422E-BFA1-85DCAEB50302.jpeg
    AD5BF5BA-3C81-422E-BFA1-85DCAEB50302.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 41
  • B5F4BA25-98E8-4FF8-B6F0-8ED9B80DA21D.jpeg
    B5F4BA25-98E8-4FF8-B6F0-8ED9B80DA21D.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 6CB52160-DC35-4F44-9F87-79F86DA36605.jpeg
    6CB52160-DC35-4F44-9F87-79F86DA36605.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 199328F4-D093-466B-9364-A2BBCDDADDBC.jpeg
    199328F4-D093-466B-9364-A2BBCDDADDBC.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 39
I've been in Costa Rica for my son's Destination Wedding for this past weak, Great time was had by all. The boy's got to break away one day for some fishing, This was my contributionView attachment 272828
You look a little young to have kids!! By the way, who is the gentleman with the beard? baahhhhhaaaaa….. :)

First time out was this afternoon. No bites but felt good to get back out for some real fishing. Took this shot while standing on about 4 feet of solid ice.

1D642681-5686-46B6-B249-B8A0106DF768.jpeg

I'm eager to try out this backup reservoir I found while taking the kids on a nature walk (link below). There's no street access. There are places to park on the Fellsway but then you have to walk in. I'd say it's only about a 1/3 of a mile walk in but that's enough that most folks won't know about it and many won't bother even if they do. I'll share it here in case anyone is in the area and interested in trying it out.

Google Maps

Looks interesting. I've been meaning some Spring to hit that pond they built on 495 in Norton/Easton. Parking is for 2-3 cars max. I have a client that wants to try some day as well.

Going to the damn dam today and see if I can catch anything.

First fish of the year! I saw on the stocking report that they hit my local creek with rainbows in a few spots so I headed out after work. First spot where I’ve caught and seen Brookie’s was a bust so I went down river to a spot I’ve never had luck. Five minutes in my tiny spoon gets crushed and my little 4’6” ultralight rod with 4lb line doubles over. It was a great fight and I wound up scoring this nice brown, probably about 16”. Definitely a holdover!

FF74F738-8118-432A-B53D-BA361F91E4F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone started to catch bass yet? My friend and I have been out to our best early season spot a few days this week. Normally we catch a lot of smaller bass in the 12-16” range but it hasn’t really started to get going yet. He caught a nice one that looked like it was 3lbs or more last night, but we couldn’t hook anything in 4 hours today.

I was at my friends house in Lakeville Thursday and we decided to do some fishing. It was cold and windy and we decided to fish from his dock. I couldn't catch anything and he caught 7 largemouth all over 2lbs throwing the same thing I was in the same spots, very frustrating but lots of laughs about what a lousy fisherman I was, did I want to sell my equipment and so on. Yesterday I went out to the pond behind my house to see if I could get my mojo back. I did manage to catch a few bass and some pickerels, all is well

Last edited:
I couldn't catch anything and he caught 7 largemouth all over 2lbs throwing the same thing I was in the same spots, very frustrating
[rofl][laugh2]

Years back, my dock was U shaped and my 2 sons would fish from the deep points of the U. One on one side, the other on the opposite.

They both used the same lure or bait. The younger would catch 3-5 fish and the older caught nothing. They would change places and the younger would repeat his performance while the older caught nothing again. [angry2] I never figured out how he did that.

A local cop would stop by and fish from the docks, he had a standing offer to come anytime. What's better than having local PD in your yard when you aren't around? I had taught my older son how to catch fish by hand. All it takes is some patience and standing there in the water with your hand below the surface and wait till one swims through your hand.

The PD guy showed up one day while my hand catching son was here. PD was casting off the dock and my boy called over to him. Son had staked out a bass holding in the reeds at the edge of the property. He was in the water and slowly moving towards the bass. Cop always smoked a pipe and had it in his mouth when my son grabbed a 2 lb bass by hand. Cop lost his pipe in the lake!
:cool:

Over at the Wareham St dam/fish ladder in Middleboro, one warm April day my daughter caught (and released) over 100 herring. One after the other. She had a system and realized how to grab them so she just had a spot to lay her hand and just pull up when the time was right. Over and over again.

She was belly-grabbin em. Usually they are BIT fearful of hands. She laid it down, palm-up on the concrete shelf and they just ignored it.

Things are starting to warm up a little, I caught a couple of small bass and some of these but couldn't get this picture to rotate.

Attachments

• LgD6hHJzRo6VsUxihsnvbQ.jpg
    LgD6hHJzRo6VsUxihsnvbQ.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 34
edited-image_zpsq2ppazfa.png

I was out on the lake on Saturday. Hit my local rock pile. Tons of fish on my crappy graph. No bites at all. Nothing. Wind was light and variable in direction although normally northerly. I had a couple of decent size perch chase my bait, but nothing else.

Then I headed over to a cove that often has bass. Dead reeds. Decent cover. Saw about a DOZEN bass in total. Every one of them was damned afraid of anything that was in the water. Shockingly so. Like I cast a worm to one spot. It went over the back of one that was real shallow and it jumped a country mile. It was like someone beat them with fishing lures. Nothing would convince them.

Water temps were 58-60, although in the back of that cove - facing south-ish, it was 65.

Looked for beds, as this is prime spawning time. Didn't see a single one. Looked around pretty actively.

Ah well. Another month and it'll be post-spawn and I know exactly where they will be. Might try some old haunts over teh long weekend. I'll get pix if I'm successful.

12ADFA2D-F380-4074-A50A-389D1E58CCF5.jpeg 353728AE-F8EF-4442-920E-1BD31C960360.jpeg 21F7F1EC-9268-4DB9-B9F4-728AA2CB1EBA.jpeg Finally found the fish. Water is at 65. Up 6 degrees this week. Grabbed two small ones in the reeds and then used my electronics to find 2 pockets of fish and baitfish in a spot I knew would hold fish.

Whopper plopped in the morning. Chatter bait in the afternoon. Wind is just starting to pick up, so here I sit typing with a fine cigar.

Back
Top Bottom