• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2019 Fishing Thread

I went out Saturday to one of my favorite hidden ponds and it is almost dried up. I have never seen this at this pond. You can only access it by a small boat and now I can't get into it at all. I'd say at least half the pond is gone. I can't even see any water from where I can put my kayak in.

This pond has/had lots of fish in it, Bass, bluegills, perch, carp, catfish, and some giant snapping turtles.
That peninsular you see in the back is usually mostly under water. I'd say it's normally 5-6 feet deep over there.

f77Lnma.jpg

So the answer to this is, The state is draining the pond down 14' to repair the dam at the end. They claim that the fish will survive in whats left of the water. I'll be surprised if half do.

The say they knew there could be a vehicle in there. I don't know how since it's all trees and a narrow path down there, but there is.

AMa11Ag.jpg

q5Cy4gO.jpg

yAjbhBz.jpg

cRumciI.jpg

Not ALL of the fish will survive. Heck, I bet not 1/2 survive. But the species will survive. It'll take a few years to build them back, sadly.

I have to believe they want to pull those vehicles. At the very least, might be a crime and can go after someone.

People have been bringing the trash up onto where the shoreline is. I heard the state is going to get a crane there to retrieve the vehicles. We'll see, since it is the state.
I looked at the Jeep and Ford and there are no VIN's on them. The Cutlass is in too much mud to look at.

Yesterday was a great late fall afternoon so I decided to leave the yard work and go out back for to see if anything might be lurking in the pond. The water was unusually high for this time year so I brought my rod and had a good afternoon watching the ducks and catching pickerels and on the last cast I caught a small bass.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_260c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_260c.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 0oYtUQJiSymiBVAUA7z6rQ.jpg
    0oYtUQJiSymiBVAUA7z6rQ.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 15
  • ydPBGhAuS3qC4rZpMrqT%Q.jpg
    ydPBGhAuS3qC4rZpMrqT%Q.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 14
I had to do some work in Florida and saw a guy fishing in a pond behind my hotel so I went and talked to him. He said he was catching Largemouth and Peacock bass which interested me, so I picked up a 3 day license and a cheap pole from Walmart.

Those Peacock Bass are aggressive as hell. They come in fast and in schools to attack bait. I had one group of 3 come in fast and the one that bit my lure hit so hard the line snapped instantly. Even the little ones were fun to catch.

I also caught some largemouth, but we've all seen them before.

This one broke my cheap ass pole so I brought it back for a new one.
V4PQ4kB.jpg

5yQEnCu.jpg

8XjMeRC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom