***2019 Dumbass, Darwin & PSGWSP Thread***

meh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A hole in a landing in a tower that was locked up because it was considered unsafe. It's not like she was on her way to class and tragedy just randomly struck.
Usually such things are locked up because they don't want the foot traffic or the liability, not because they are unsafe for authorized personnel. A hole in a stairway landing that you can fall through to your death is unsafe for anyone, including authorized maintenance personnel. I'm not thinking of it as a random tragedy so much as a situation where the actual risk was a lot higher than a normal person would have reasonably guessed. Though perhaps there was signage warning of the grave dangers of trying to navigate the stairs. I don't know. But barring such information, taking an opportunity to go up in a tower for a look around is within the range of things that the majority of normal people would do at that age if they had the chance--in my opinion, of course.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Reactions: AHM

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Any of those I've run across have a keyed locking mechanism to prevent the crusher from being activated. For someone who needs to jump in to retrieve something just remove the key first.

A company I worked for decades ago had such a gizmo. And said company would throw returned computers/printers/parts into the pit for crushing. They only sold new. And they decided to close down the facility we worked in.

So a group of folks started visiting the dumpster crusher at lunch to scavenge stuff. Give us 3 bad computers and we'd make 2 or 3 good ones.

Now my wife was not happy with the massive collection of stuff accumulated. But she sure was happy with the rewards that came from their sale!

That's how I learned all about those crusher thingies!

:)

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Alabama man electrocuted while trying to steal electricity: sheriff

An Alabama man was electrocuted while attempting to steal power from a utility pole, authorities said.
Calhoun County Sheriff Matthew Wade identified the victim as Randall Stephens, 56.
Stephens was released from the Calhoun County Jail on May 16. He had been serving time since October 2018 for gun and drug charges, AL.com reported.
Stephens’ death was discovered after his skull was found in a neighbor’s front yard on Friday. The rest of his body was found “badly decomposed” at the bottom of a power pole. A ladder was next to the pole along with a belt and jumper cables at the top.

Investigators determined that Stephens was attempting to illegally power his home by jumping the power lines.

Reactions: AHM

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alabama man electrocuted while trying to steal electricity: sheriff
Puts one in the mind of March 2007's oldie-but-goodie:
Firehouse.Com: Massachusetts Men Electrocuted at Industrial Park

Pushpin on what we think is the building.

(I think it was cloudy when the current aerial photos were taken -
that wasn't smoke from the Post Toasties themselves).

IIRC, they shook hands with Satan because
the empty building was uncharacteristically left powered-up
to keep sump pumps running.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Bottom