• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2019 Deer check-in thread.

Funny that this check-in thread is peppered with recipes. Not that I’m complaining since it forces me to get out in the woods even more to hunt that beast! 😋

Scored an 8pt this morning after a 10 yard shot. I had to track him for about 2 miles up a ridge and boy was I tired by then!
View attachment 314831

Sweet. Now you can make some Buck Chuks.

76-AC7792-4-FA9-4-DB8-87-F9-AD0-C3-D631-D6-C.jpg

Measured my deer, I'll get it officially scored once it's dried but should be good enough for NHASC.

142 1/8" gross, 137 2/8" net after deductions, 24.5" tip to tip spread.

Boy, nice looking feed there CCM & Tweed!!

Was out this morning and had just hoisted up the bow and sat down. Not even settled in the seat and this nice compact 8 point is suddenly standing right there nosing around at 20 yds. He is facing straight at me and keeps looking up in my direction. Next time his head goes down I slowly standup. After about 10 min he takes a few steps behind an oak. That gives me the cover to grab the bow and draw. A couple more steps and I get a nice 15yd broadside shot.
Tracked him about 100yds. Gutted, cleaned and off to my butcher. I’m back out this afternoon with a few more tags left. 841D58DC-2E53-44F9-BC07-FED9D72C0909.jpeg 56745C0E-9B6B-4D70-9C6B-E51D809A357B.jpeg Dressed at 124lb, good eatin weight.

Scored an 8pt this morning after a 10 yard shot. I had to track him for about 2 miles up a ridge and boy was I tired by then!
View attachment 314831
Boy, nice looking feed there CCM & Tweed!!

Was out this morning and had just hoisted up the bow and sat down. Not even settled in the seat and this nice compact 8 point is suddenly standing right there nosing around at 20 yds. He is facing straight at me and keeps looking up in my direction. Next time his head goes down I slowly standup. After about 10 min he takes a few steps behind an oak. That gives me the cover to grab the bow and draw. A couple more steps and I get a nice 15yd broadside shot.
Tracked him about 100yds. Gutted, cleaned and off to my butcher. I’m back out this afternoon with a few more tags left. View attachment 315473View attachment 315474Dressed at 124lb, good eatin weight.

Awesome-Congrats! That’s one of the crazy things about hunting. Some times you bust your ass for weeks, months or years and get skunked. And then you get in your tree one morning and before you get settled you get a chance at a nice buck like that! Keeps you coming back for more...🦌👍

Awesome-Congrats! That’s one of the crazy things about hunting. Some times you bust your ass for weeks, months or years and get skunked. And then you get in your tree one morning and before you get settled you get a chance at a nice buck like that! Keeps you coming back for more...🦌👍
My satire was over your head methinks. Look closer 🤣

My satire was over your head methinks. Look closer 🤣
Now in all seriousness I must confess I’ve bagged my very first deer with my first tag on the first day of gun season. Check station had her at 3.5 y/o, 180 lb live weight (I think more though since she was packed), and 138 lb dressed weight. At 1:00 I scoped a group of 3 does bedded down with one staring at me. Took the one right in front of her. After a lot of work the last 3 months it paid off!
E8404124-CC2E-4631-9FD5-B9FBB43671B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Now in all seriousness I must confess I’ve bagged my very first deer with my first tag on the first day of gun season. Check station had her at 3.5 y/o, 180 lb live weight (I think more though since she was packed), and 138 lb dressed weight. At 1:00 I scoped a group of 3 does bedded down with one staring at me. Took the one right in front of her. After a lot of work the last 3 months it paid off!
View attachment 316013
Congrats on your first deer!
Nice job!
I took a quick walk @3pm and ended up shooting a nice button, bout 100lbs. Biggest button I’ve ever seen. Thought it was a decent doe. Oh well, used a doe tag. Should be good eating.

Got to the check station at Central Headquaters and by 2:30pm there they only had reported 7 deer. Slow day? I bet if it was sunny and in the 40’s-50’s it would be a whole different story!

Working at Nantuckets check station. Tally is almost half what it's been these last many years by the same time of the week. Shit Ass weather limiting hunter and deer movements is most certainly to blame. Hope things improve with diminishing weathers forecast...

For the past two years I’ve pickled my deer hearts. Easy recipes on line...I break it out with crackers and cheese....Good stuff!
Oooh....I’m not too enthralled with many things pickled but I appreciate the feedback. Vegetables I can do though.

What cut of meat is heart most closely associated?

Back
Top Bottom