2019 Deer check-in thread.

I passed on a doe that had her fawn with her yesterday (11/16). I thought that was kind of strange, that they were still together this time of year. I would have thought a buck would have beenn dogging her at this point and separating her from her fawn.

None of this is really noteworthy.. But what is noteworthy is that on the WMA I was on yesterday in Rochester, someone was gun hunting. Right at dusk, I hear a single gunshot, not too far from my stand. I didn't "see" the hunter actually make the shot. I stayed in my stand until dark which was only about 10 minutes later. At that point, I could see his flashlight/headlamp about 100ish yards to the north, and I could hear him crashing through the woods. His light was shining behind him (opposite his direction of travel) and he was obviously dragging something.

Not sure what I should/could have done about it. I couldn't see it if was actually a deer. Coyote is open so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But a coyote weighs 35 pounds for a good-sized one. Not the kind of animal that requires dragging like that. Try as I may I can't come to any other conclusion other than that this guy shot a deer.

My vehicle was the only one in the WMA parking lot. But there are multiple access points so the guy could have come in from anywhere really. Lots of homes abut it too. He could have just walked in.

It is sad but the current tagging system is a poachers dream. The odds are pretty close to zero when it comes to getting caught.

Even if he bothered to check it in using current system he wouldn’t get caught.

I have noticed a decline in numbers in western Mass since the change in the checking process. Those “any zone” tags that are sold over the counter have really hurt.

The same thing happened in Connecticut when they made the same changes. Gun hunters in the archery only areas using shotguns in the middle of the archery seasons and rifle hunters trespassing on private land as well.

Bob

Well, no luck for the old man today - he saw one but couldn't get a shot. [sad]

Dreary day, so when he got back he had on the table:
20191120_155045.jpg

Cheese is:
which is f***ing awesome, and the bread's mine (which I can make but can't eat).

Oh, and this morning we managed to snitch a case of:
20191120_131658.jpg
"Snitch" cuz they're not supposed to sell it until tomorrow. [smile]

Hopefully better luck tomorrow - I'm looking forward to pan-seared backstrap medallions, deglazed/sauced with demiglace, and garnished with a touch of crème fraîche and blackberry.
2014-01-28 18.10.18.jpg

And a glass of that Nouveau. [grin]

(Posted for motivation - when it's cold and raw and nasty, and you're asking yourself, why the hell am I going out in the woods today? That's why.)

That is a beautiful mount. Congratulations. You must have been thrilled when you picked him up.
May I ask the details? How much did it weigh?
And if you don't mind me asking, What did that mount cost you? He did an awesome job.

Awesome mount dude!!!

I agree. It is a beautiful mount. I too would be interested in who did the mount and the cost. I would appreciate a PM if you don’t want to post it publicly.

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks! I was very happy with how it came out. I think it's a unique deer and it was an amazing morning taking him up close in a snow covered woodlot on my friends farm where I've been hunting for 40 years.

The mount of my 2018 9- point was done by Bob Borow of Borow's Taxidermy, 14122 State Route 28, Delhi, NY.
His shop is way off the beaten path, off of NYS Route 88. I paid $600.00 for the work. At the time I thought this was pretty pricey, but I hadn't had one done since 1994 so I had no real reference point. And I was traveling and needed to drop it somewhere. Looking at it now as he hangs by his great, great uncle, a 10 point I took on the same hill in 94, I think it's worth every penny....
(Is it poor form to post the same pics in multiple threads? WTH....I like looking at other peoples hunting pics so I assume you guys do too....)[smile]

Thanks! I was very happy with how it came out. I think it's a unique deer and it was an amazing morning taking him up close in a snow covered woodlot on my friends farm where I've been hunting for 40 years.

The mount of my 2018 9- point was done by Bob Borow of Borow's Taxidermy, 14122 State Route 28, Delhi, NY.
His shop is way off the beaten path, off of NYS Route 88. I paid $600.00 for the work. At the time I thought this was pretty pricey, but I hadn't had one done since 1994 so I had no real reference point. And I was traveling and needed to drop it somewhere. Looking at it now as he hangs by his great, great uncle, a 10 point I took on the same hill in 94, I think it's worth every penny....
(Is it poor form to post the same pics in multiple threads? WTH....I like looking at other peoples hunting pics so I assume you guys do too....)[smile]

Yep. Worth every penny.
Thanks for posting the pics of the two mounts side by side. They really look awesome. The taxidermist did a really good job. Very nice deer, very nice wall mounts.
The history behind the deer are hill they were taken on is pretty cool too. Great memories I am sure.

Dunno about "around here" but I am getting my first buck done in NY to the tune of 800

Holy crap. 800 bucks seems like a lot. But it is a fair amount of work.

I have ten bucks on the wall. Between 120-150 inches. Range was between 250-400 paid for

The most I ever paid was my last one which was a 218 pound CT giant 9 that the taxi had to use a mule deer type mount on because of the size.
Was charged 400 for that one. Gave the taxi 500.

I dont even mount deer anymore, they add up and become dust collectors.
That said I dont shoot anything unless its over 140 inches either. I worked hard at it and was lucky in my youth to get some big deer, and its tough to put in that commitment anymore.
All my bucks came from the northeast, most off public land, and to consistently get big deer, scouting has to be a lifestyle choice.

I have ten bucks on the wall. Between 120-150 inches. Range was between 250-400 paid for

The most I ever paid was my last one which was a 218 pound CT giant 9 that the taxi had to use a mule deer type mount on because of the size.

That said I dont shoot anything unless its over 140 inches either. I worked hard at it and was lucky in my youth to get some big deer, and its tough to put in that commitment anymore.
All my bucks came from the northeast, most off public land, and to consistently get big deer, scouting has to be a lifestyle choice.
I've done euro mounts on a few of the families notable harvests. Cost is much less at $150 including the oak it's mounted to.....easier to keep dusted....and take up less space on the wall.

If I ever shoot a wall-worthy buck I'll be doing a Euro mount. The biggest deer I've shot was ~135 spiker (and that was on my first day ever hunting deer, believe it or not) and I have the section of skull with the spikes on it but it's barely worth posting. ;) Still, it was my first deer and quite a memorable day.

I paid just over 7 bills for mine, so price seems fair to me.

62A1029F-EE18-4CB7-9150-8C2D1EF46D2E.jpeg
Got this one in NY last weekend at a friends farm, also got a doe. Passed on an 8pt because I saw orange in the background, then this guy presented me with a shot a minute later. Running about 60 yds, hit behind shoulder, little below spine, D.O.A. Never moved after crash landing. Dropped a doe in its tracks next day at 75 yards. 7mm/08 great deer round, love it. That makes 6 one shot kills with it.

I've done euro mounts on a few of the families notable harvests. Cost is much less at $150 including the oak it's mounted to.....easier to keep dusted....and take up less space on the wall.

I did the same. Have about 15 euro mounts residing in the garage reloading room and around the house. Any buck I shot less than 100 inches of antler. Many I shot with the recurve bow when I was heavy into traditional archery.
I made them myself for the cost of some borax and peroxide and a lot of gross boiling on the camp stove

View attachment 313952
Got this one in NY last weekend at a friends farm, also got a doe. Passed on an 8pt because I saw orange in the background, then this guy presented me with a shot a minute later. Running about 60 yds, hit behind shoulder, little below spine, D.O.A. Never moved after crash landing. Dropped a doe in its tracks next day at 75 yards. 7mm/08 great deer round, love it. That makes 6 one shot kills with it.
It says more for your talent than the cartridge. Good shooting always trumps caliber.

I did the same. Have about 15 euro mounts residing in the garage reloading room and around the house. Any buck I shot less than 100 inches of antler. Many I shot with the recurve bow when I was heavy into traditional archery.
I made them myself for the cost of some borax and peroxide and a lot of gross boiling on the camp stove
The taxidermist I send mine to uses Beatles.......then uses a preservative and mounts the skull on am oak plaque for wall hanging.

I shot this spike on the 9th. I had spent a lot of the previous week, and just about all day out in my tree stand and hadn't seen a thing. Finally, at 3pm I said "F this! No deer around here. I'm going in and to watch the Alabama game (and I hate football, but my wifes grandfather graduated from Alabama just before WW2, so she likes 'Bama). Get in, take a shower, get in my track pants, and sit in front of the TV with the dog. About 4:20 I said "I need a beer". So I get up, look outside, and there's a friggin deer out in the field out front! I grab the nearest rifle, my sporterized '03 in 35 Whelen, step out into the garage in my socks, open the side door, and let him have it.
Not the one I was looking for, but ive waited before and gotten skunked.

Attachments

• 20191110_070018.jpg
    20191110_070018.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 51
I shot this spike on the 9th. I had spent a lot of the previous week, and just about all day out in my tree stand and hadn't seen a thing. Finally, at 3pm I said "F this! No deer around here. I'm going in and to watch the Alabama game (and I hate football, but my wifes grandfather graduated from Alabama just before WW2, so she likes 'Bama). Get in, take a shower, get in my track pants, and sit in front of the TV with the dog. About 4:20 I said "I need a beer". So I get up, look outside, and there's a friggin deer out in the field out front! I grab the nearest rifle, my sporterized '03 in 35 Whelen, step out into the garage in my socks, open the side door, and let him have it.
Not the one I was looking for, but ive waited before and gotten skunked.

Nice deer but I'm far more envious of your space, looks very cool.

Nice deer but I'm far more envious of your space, looks very cool.
From 11 years ago:

Back
Top Bottom