2019 Deer check-in thread.

BE7317B1-1468-4A6C-8A98-41D54806BAAB.jpeg Kinda like this?

I do love churrascaria.....

Will report back this winter if blessed with at least one. I’d be honored to get to that stage.

Ugh. Last time I ate something that was served like that I had to make difficult logistical decisions on how to deal with the fluids exiting both ends of my body.
That would be the meat poles you’d find at street joints. Look close and those are fine steaks on there. You’ll have to try it sometime at a genuine Brazilian steakhouse.

Ugh. Last time I ate something that was served like that I had to make difficult logistical decisions on how to deal with the fluids exiting both ends of my body.
Last time I saw meat on a pole was while on patrol in Baghdad Iraq in 2004. Big hunk of something on a pole in a street market.......I was a good ways away.......and the hunk of meat was black I though it was smoked or something. Next think I know a guy gives the hunk a whack with his hand.....and f***ing flys were buzzing around it!!!! The black was all the flys on the damn meat. He proceeds to start cutting a piece off for a customer.

Ho Lee shit.......third world problems!!!!

Last time I saw meat on a pole was while on patrol in Baghdad Iraq in 2004. Big hunk of something on a pole in a street market.......I was a good ways away.......and the hunk of meat was black I though it was smoked or something. Next think I know a guy gives the hunk a whack with his hand.....and f***ing flys were buzzing around it!!!! The black was all the flys on the damn meat. He proceeds to start cutting a piece off for a customer.

Ho Lee shit.......third world problems!!!!

I think I just threw up a little...

I'll play...

In through the near side shoulder..

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12hLmRNcsm7OeFeuiu9VdGH1CsjLV-chV/view?usp=sharing

The exit:

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12hgCp3eDxdI1T9cUOraWZ3tkREuxhpSd/view?usp=sharing

In the truck headed to the butcher:

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/134ETAEPueGlwo16u8jGqqXSetkl9YLdw/view?usp=sharing

That arrow actually deflected and redirected something fierce somewhere because this was a broadside shot. She wasn't quartering... Autopsy shows I got both lungs. She ran maybe 40 yards before she piled up. I don't know how to explain the exit other than that she jumped the string and the scapula was in motion at the time of impact and pushed on the shaft as it traveled.

Shot placement was a bit less than ideal. I normally don't aim for the shoulder (no bow hunter does). But I know I can get through it if I screw up, or it's the only shot I get.

I must have spent 5 minutes looking at her like, what da faq. That's a serious redirection.

I couldn't find the arrow... I intend to have another look for it on Sunday.

Last edited:
Drove past one on the shoulder with some car parts next to her northbound on 190 before the Rt 140 exit. Serious rump damage. I was considering stopping to check it out further but I had squirrels to hunt.

Drove past one on the shoulder with some car parts next to her northbound on 190 before the Rt 140 exit. Serious rump damage. I was considering stopping to check it out further but I had squirrels to hunt.
How's that squirel hunting going?

I'm heading out Saturday with my kid.

Not the greatest. I’ve bagged 2 and the other day I winged another due to a bad shot. He scurried up a huge white pine by a fence row and I couldn’t get a clean kill shot. Not happy about it.

Today I gave up 2 for a better shot and 2 more I missed that were 50 yards plus. I think my Ruger needs a good cleaning or my stance on rough terrain was hampering a proper shot. As stated, squirrels are not easy.

Not the greatest. I’ve bagged 2 and the other day I winged another due to a bad shot. He scurried up a huge white pine by a fence row and I couldn’t get a clean kill shot. Not happy about it.

Today I gave up 2 for a better shot and 2 more I missed that were 50 yards plus. I think my Ruger needs a good cleaning or my stance on rough terrain was hampering a proper shot. As stated, squirrels are not easy.
At least your out there.

I'll be out locally on sat afternoon on a wma that stocks pheasant. The pheasant circus will have calmed down in the fields by 3pm and I hunt the adjacent woods. Lots of times I've happened across a pheasant that wanders into the woods later in the day after the pheasant hunters push them around. I don't target pheasant specifically......but if I'm squirrel hunting a s a bird wanders into my area of operation they become a target of opportunity. Taken a few in the woods over the years when I'm out for squirrel.

At least your out there.

I'll be out locally on sat afternoon on a wma that stocks pheasant. The pheasant circus will have calmed down in the fields by 3pm and I hunt the adjacent woods. Lots of times I've happened across a pheasant that wanders into the woods later in the day after the pheasant hunters push them around. I don't target pheasant specifically......but if I'm squirrel hunting a s a bird wanders into my area of operation they become a target of opportunity. Taken a few in the woods over the years when I'm out for squirrel.
That’s a great plan. I have a ladder stand to setup Saturday, cameras to check, and hopefully I can poke around the woods and fields a bit. With a 1 y/o, 9 y/o, 11 y/o, and a mil with dementia my wife is an angel to let me do this.

Think I saw a pretty f***ed up deer marked by a traffic cone in the median on 495s somewhere between chelmsford and westford. Skid marks on the road and parts told me that someone had a bad night.

Man, last night I had my first experience with a real mature buck. He read the script came in from where I was expecting, but never gave me a shot. He came in to 15 yds, directly facing me the whole time. He turned to his left, briefly exposing his side, bounded twice, then trotted to 40 yds behind some brush. The same wind is expected today, so I left my sticks up and plan on going back this evening

If someone was bow hunting out by the UPS facility on RT 3 and got out of their treestand about 9:30-9:45 the 6 pointer you spooked almost got hit 3x bounding across 129.

With that said, saw quite a few deer later than I'd expect this morning in my travels.

I had plenty of opportunities on some more does today. But they had fawns with them and that's a no-fly zone for me. Must have had encounters with 10 of them.
Would you go for this one? More like yearlings for me. I’m not keen to deer age though but maybe they were born late summer 2018?
BAE2BA65-D26B-40A2-9987-7DFC3A524795.png

Would you go for this one? More like yearlings for me. I’m not keen to deer age though but maybe they were born late summer 2018?
View attachment 308741
There's plenty of meat for the freezer on those deer.....if you have an antlerless tag Use it and fill your freezer. Those look like fairly mature does because their noses are long and slender. Deer under a year old have a stubbier nose.....it grows in length After the first year and will appear much more slender. Here's an article to help you out.

5 Characteristics of Adult Does

Those deer were NOT born in late summer. It doesn't work that way. Does get pregnant in new new england in November and are born in late spring early summer (may/June) after the 200 day (6.5 month) gestation period. Deer don't get pregnant and have young at different times throughout the year like rabbits and squirrels........they all have mostly the same cycle that's why hunters all talk about the rut (when the bucks are mating does that are in season).

I found a picture of what would be a young deer probably 6 months old......notice the nose is shorter compared to the deer in your photo. The deer in your photo have quite long and slender noses.......those are shooters in my opinion.

Deer9.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 308741

Looks like a doe (left) and her two fawns was to me. Likely a doe dawn and a button buck.

They are your tags. Fill them has you see fit.

Bob

Looks like a doe (left) and her two fawns was to me. Likely a doe dawn and a button buck.

They are your tags. Fill them has you see fit.

Bob
If it were my choice here I'd fill my tag with the doe on the left no problem. If those are two fawns they are all set to be on their own this time of year. But from my estimation the noses seem long and slender and tell me they are not this year's fawns.......spring fawns in the fall have a much shorter nose from the ones I've seen......and seen taken.

After closer inspection I do see some buttons on the last deer.

The buttons are pretty small. What you are seeing is some sort of artifact or shadow in the picture.

When I said it was likely a doe fawn and button buck I was just playing the percentages. When does have twins it is usually a doe and a buck. Typically there are little more bucks than does born in a normal population.

Twins, and triplets, generally mean that there is an abundance of food available and the heard is very healthy.

Bob

Our mom-and-yearlings were eating in the cul-de-sac again today. At 5pm. Not even dark. Momma is big. No shots taken. Lol

Back
Top Bottom