2019 Deer check-in thread.

Oooh....I’m not too enthralled with many things pickled but I appreciate the feedback. Vegetables I can do though.

What cut of meat is heart most closely associated?

Kinda reminds me of Turkey/Chicken gizzard.

I typically trim it up and pan fry it. Make sure that you trim out the valves and top of the heart. It is an interesting structure.

Bob

Oooh....I’m not too enthralled with many things pickled but I appreciate the feedback. Vegetables I can do though.

What cut of meat is heart most closely associated?
It's kind of its own thing. I love it. Very easy to prep. Google is your friend. I saute heart strips with onion and garlic and serve it with mashed potatoes. It's awesome.

Boba Fett strikes again! Mass shotgun deer in Northern Zone 9. #115 dressed at check in. She said it was a 1.5 year old.
I'm going to let it relax a little, take the skin off before bed and butcher on Saturday.

Attachments

• 20191205_123308.jpg
    20191205_123308.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20191205_163849.jpg
    20191205_163849.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 74
I can see the deer now.

"Boba Fett? Boba Fett? Where?"
The-Sarlacc-Surprise.jpg

I skinned, quartered, and butchered my doe today. It was quite a feat by myself for the first time. I see why others would want to look for a butcher to do it for them.

I separated the hams, shoulders, and ribs to be done tomorrow. I trimmed the spine, pelvis, and neck of all the meat I could. Took out the backstraps and was able to salvage most of them but lost a bit due to the spine shot I made. I won’t do that again. Lots of trimmings.

Skinning was tough doing it off the gambrel but I didn’t want to do the quick goldball method or winch as I was afraid to do a poor job at that. I could not get the flapper meat to pull away easily from the skin. First time so I need practice. I’m happy to have gone this far and almost finish this from the start. Pretty awesome.

I skinned, quartered, and butchered my doe today. It was quite a feat by myself for the first time. I see why others would want to look for a butcher to do it for them.

I separated the hams, shoulders, and ribs to be done tomorrow. I trimmed the spine, pelvis, and neck of all the meat I could. Took out the backstraps and was able to salvage most of them but lost a bit due to the spine shot I made. I won’t do that again. Lots of trimmings.

Skinning was tough doing it off the gambrel but I didn’t want to do the quick goldball method or winch as I was afraid to do a poor job at that. I could not get the flapper meat to pull away easily from the skin. First time so I need practice. I’m happy to have gone this far and almost finish this from the start. Pretty awesome.
Nice job, you learn a little more each time you do one. Skinning sux, it’s a little easier with 2 people or when deer is fresh. Helps to wear an old jacket or sweatshirt and wrap hide around your arm and put your body weight into it. Make sure your knots are good and anchor point is solid. You will learn over time to shoot em behind the shoulder(if possible)to minimize damaged meat.
I switched from 12g to 20g years ago as 12
G wasted a lot of meat(overkill in my opinion). Congrats on the doe and first butcher job.
I am butchering a small buck tomorrow am .
Keep at it, it gets easier.

Butchering a deer is a lot of work but there is a lot of satisfaction in doing your own. The more you do the faster you will get.

Make a “V” shaped receiver for your gambrel. It will help hold it still. I have the HME hitch hoist. Look at the top and you will see what I mean.

truck-hitch-winch-gambrel-hme-HH.jpg

Truck Hitch Game Hoist Kit | HME Products

The HME hitch hoist is a little sloppy and the holes aren’t perfect but it works as advertised. I can’t lift a deer into the truck anymore so I needed to find another way.

I also use it to put other stuff in and out of the truck. The last thing I used it for was to put an air compressor in and out of the truck.

After watching the Redneck 2 in 1 Deer hoist video i mounted an eyelet on the bottom plate of my so I could skin them that way but I haven’t had a chance to try it out.

There is lost meat when hunting with shotguns and rifles. Shots are what they are. I learned a long time ago to take the FIRST GOOD shot you get; you may not get another shot opportunity.

You have come a long way this season and accomplished a lot. You have a lot to be proud of.

Bob

Wow

I just pan fried some backstraps trimmings with sea salt and fresh crushed black pepper over high heat in a cast iron skillet with olive oil......absolutely to die for!

I really gotta get back out another deer!

Wow

I just pan fried some backstraps trimmings with sea salt and fresh crushed black pepper over high heat in a cast iron skillet with olive oil......absolutely to die for!

I really gotta get back out another deer!

Nice..I just did a flank steak last night the same way... My SO is bugging me to get another deer! ;)

Well I finished her up. Butchered the hams and shoulder. Saved one of the tip roasts for Wednesday night. Sealed and froze everything else: top rounds, bottom rounds, eye rounds, and lots of trimming. Tried to get some blade steaks but I didn’t do a good job with those. Since my family consumes ground and I love sausage the shoulder will do well as ground. I would definitely do this again even though it was a challenge.

Well I finished her up. Butchered the hams and shoulder. Saved one of the tip roasts for Wednesday night. Sealed and froze everything else: top rounds, bottom rounds, eye rounds, and lots of trimming. Tried to get some blade steaks but I didn’t do a good job with those. Since my family consumes ground and I love sausage the shoulder will do well as ground. I would definitely do this again even though it was a challenge.
I know the process to butcher myself.....but always use a butcher. I get back vaccuum sealed cuts plus sweet venison sausage ready for the freezer for about $125. Worth every penny.

There is nothing better than cooking sweet venison sausage on the ice during ice fishing season. I tell my butcher to turn all the ground venison into sausage. I always bring extra links, peppers and onions out on the ice with me. Once I start up the stove guys come out of the woodwork to wander over and see what I'm cooking once the aroma travels. I always offer ANYONE a sausage sub out there. I can go all day without a flag out there.....but sharing a hot meal with some fellow ice anglers makes for a perfect day.

Last edited:
I know the process to butcher myself.....but always use a butcher. I get back vaccuum sealed cuts plus sweet venison sausage ready for the freezer for about $125. Worth every penny.

There is nothing better than cooking sweet venison sausage on the ice during ice fishing season. I tell my butcher to turn all the ground venison into sausage. I always bring extra links, peppers and onions out on the ice with me. Once I start up the stove guys come out of the woodwork to wander over and see what I'm cooking once the aroma travels. I always offer ANYONE a sausage sub out there. I can go all day without a flag out there.....but sharing a hot meal with some fellow ice anglers makes for a perfect day.

If you can get a deer done for 125 with sausage thats a deal. You HAVE to add pork fat if your cooking up for sandwiches. It will be too dry without it.

I just did 4 big quarters of a 200 pound CT deer for a buddy and a huge neck. Took me 4 hours With making burger and cleanup time.
If I make sausage ill let that burger I grind get half frozen add 30 percent fatty pork cuts that are very cold and a little ice and my sausage recipe and mix it all up. Then grind the whole mix. Then stuff into casings.

I buy my fatty cuts and get my sweet mix from a local sausage maker. He just asks me how many pounds im making then gives me a small bag of it.

Its a lot of work and mess so I like to do a big batch at once.

If you can get a deer done for 125 with sausage thats a deal. You HAVE to add pork fat if your cooking up for sandwiches. It will be too dry without it.

I just did 4 big quarters of a CT deer for a buddy and a huge neck. Took me 4 hours With making burger and cleanup time.
If I make sausage ill let that burger I grind get half frozen add 30 percent fatty pork cuts that are very cold and a little ice and my sausage recipe and mix it all up. Then grind the whole mix. Then stuff into casings.

I buy my fatty cuts and get my sweet mix from a local sausage maker. He just asks me how many pounds im making then gives me a small bag of it.

Its a lot of work and mess so I like to do a big batch at once.
I always ask them to add pork.

Yes.....$125 was the rate. But I make the job pretty simple for the guy. Straps and loins whole......everything else into steaks or the grind pile for sausage. If I make a stew I just defrost a steak or two and cube it up myself.

Last edited:
I always ask them to add pork.

Yes.....$125 was the rate. But I make the job pretty simple for the guy. Straps and loins whole......everything else into steaks or the grind pile for sausage. If I make a stew I just defrost a steak or two and cube it up myself.
For $125 I would go the butcher route too. Name your source. I’ll join you on the ice for sausage sammichs for sure. What cuts do you turn into steaks? Top round, bottom round, or tip? Blade steak I messed up so it went to the trimmings.

For $125 I would go the butcher route too. Name your source. I’ll join you on the ice for sausage sammichs for sure. What cuts do you turn into steaks? Top round, bottom round, or tip? Blade steak I messed up so it went to the trimmings.
Do you ice fish too?

That's how I stay sane in the winter lol

Got my first deer ever on Saturday night, using archery equipment and a tree saddle. It was a tough season but so much fun and I learned a ton. I’m very happy to have some meat this year. Most likely 1.5 y.o. doe

Attachments

• 38807BE9-C802-40DD-9976-59F283CF86FE.jpeg
    38807BE9-C802-40DD-9976-59F283CF86FE.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 13D0A466-B06B-4561-A2DC-B762CF9C7200.jpeg
    13D0A466-B06B-4561-A2DC-B762CF9C7200.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 44

That seems like a good deal for vacuum packing. Last time I had an animal butchered it was just wrapped in paper. Of course, that was probably 15 years ago.

I'd skip the sausage personally on a deer. Too many meals I could do with that ground meat. Burgers (mixed with some fats), meatloaf, chili, tacos, etc. I love sausage but it seems like I'd find a ton more to do with it plain.

That seems like a good deal for vacuum packing. Last time I had an animal butchered it was just wrapped in paper. Of course, that was probably 15 years ago.

I'd skip the sausage personally on a deer. Too many meals I could do with that ground meat. Burgers (mixed with some fats), meatloaf, chili, tacos, etc. I love sausage but it seems like I'd find a ton more to do with it plain.
I share most of the sausage.......superbowl party.....ice fishing......and gifts

Locally, I pay about $65-$80 (depending on weight) to have mine cut up and vacuum-packed. Steaks, chops, roasts, stew meat and burger. I don't have sausage made, so that would add probably $20 or so.

Top and bottom rounds make the steaks. I leave the eye of round whole and cut it up later and fry it like a tenderloin (definitely not the same).
Sirlion I sometimes make a whole roast but if its a big deer ill make steaks and stew out of it.

Blade steak from front shoulder tougher and better off stew sometimes. On a big deer like the last one I did you can make a nice size steak from both sides. But if its starts getting old it gets cut up for jerky meat.

Back
Top Bottom