2019 CMP M1 Garand Clinic and CMP games @ OCSA IS CLOSED SEE YOU IN 2020

Okay. Hope to see and meet you all that weekend. Just scored some of TS's Winchester M2 and I will bring that to shoot.
Will try and practice some before then. I am somewhat hobbled by my back issues and I hope that goes well. Offhand is (how
should I say it...not so hot.) Might need to help me off the ground after prone. (Old truck mechanic:eek:)
Mike

Okay. Hope to see and meet you all that weekend. Just scored some of TS's Winchester M2 and I will bring that to shoot.
Will try and practice some before then. I am somewhat hobbled by my back issues and I hope that goes well. Offhand is (how
should I say it...not so hot.) Might need to help me off the ground after prone. (Old truck mechanic:eek:)
Mike
Most of the shoorers are hobbling around to some degree.
awful hand is common ailment

Last edited:
So I think I will run my N0.4 enfield in the vintage match.
Since I cant seem to find someone to make a Rx lens for my Randolph Ranger LE frames I wont bother shooting a notch rear sighted rifle.
I have the new sights to test out on the Enfield and I might do a little BJ weld work on the rear aperture to get it down to .050" ish
bottom group is 6 oclock hold Top group is Center Hold.
This gun and ammo are just out of 10 ring accuracy for the 200 yard SR but I dont have another bolt gun with aperture rear sight. Im not going to waste ammo shooting rear notch sights, unless I score a lens.

2NxyJazh.jpg

so first test run with the 3D front sight from Pastera working well so far. Tested at 25 yards and have a point of aim/point of impact. I need the group center to be about .80" higher than point of aim for a 200 yard zero CENTER HOLD... Now if I want a 6 oclock hold I need to add 3 min or about .78" more to my .80" I need for the center hold 200 yard zero....make sense? Soooo my front sight needs to come down
Sight radius for No.4 is 28.74" 28.74" sight radius x 1.58" needed correction = 45.41 divide by distance in Inches 25yd/900" = .050" So I need to lower my front sight .050"

OK, that is this Sunday. Dry spell for trinkets the last couple OCSA matches. Lots of 4th place, LOL, so I think I'll bring the K31 which is shooting well. Out of reloads in .30-06, so I'm going to shoot '65 HXP in the M1.

OK, that is this Sunday. Dry spell for trinkets the last couple OCSA matches. Lots of 4th place, LOL, so I think I'll bring the K31 which is shooting well. Out of reloads in .30-06, so I'm going to shoot '65 HXP in the M1.
Im probably not going to get their in time for the last relay. I got the enfield centered up and elevation good enough. This gun tosses first shots high for some reason.
Its shooting as well as it will and if I can hold well and my eyes dont crap out I should at least shoot my average.
If I cant make it in time I will do a make shift course of fire on my own

0C2DF0EA-6D62-4E03-A9E2-DF35FFB61FD0.jpeg 0C2DF0EA-6D62-4E03-A9E2-DF35FFB61FD0.jpeg 72DED0AF-3C38-489B-855B-282320C4D4A8.jpeg 0C2DF0EA-6D62-4E03-A9E2-DF35FFB61FD0.jpeg Good day today. I MADE IT IN TIME!

I shot my average for the M1 268 for 4th place
And the Lee Enfield shot well but I fell short of posting a good score. Fell into a bad habit of holding low on the reload and shot some shots down into the lower score rings. Not used to shooting the lee off hand and had a bit of trouble finding a good way to hold it.

Good turn out today . Theres one more in November

Last Match November 3rd
M1 Garand Clinic/Match
and
Modern Military

Lets get this ARs, M1a , 308 Garands , FAL, CETME, SKS, AK and any other military issued semi auto you have out on the line!

First rifle match and first time shooting a Garand. Mountain and Franco helped me and I had a great day shooting and working the pits. Hope to see you in November!
Thanks and Regards,
Mike

First rifle match and first time shooting a Garand. Mountain and Franco helped me and I had a great day shooting and working the pits. Hope to see you in November!
Thanks and Regards,
Mike

Glad you enjoyed it. Solid score, regardless of circumstances. Considering that's your first match and the first time shooting a Garand? Excellent.

Big turnout today, and seeing new shooters means that interest is growing. As Mac mentions, only one more to go.

Glad you enjoyed it. Solid score, regardless of circumstances. Considering that's your first match and the first time shooting a Garand? Excellent.

Big turnout today, and seeing new shooters means that interest is growing. As Mac mentions, only one more to go.
Also dont forget other clubs have events also.
some clubs are not listed on the cmp events page as they are not registered shoots for score. They are "shoots"
Examples are
Hanson Rod and Gun , Hanson Ma.
1st Sat 8am and 3rd Sun 11am each month. 50 round course of fire(10 rounds for sighters) at 100 yards. Rifles and ammo available. Note: have not been in some time and no Idea what the cost is these days.

Holbrook sportmans Ass. , holbrook ma.
Copied from HSA website
e Civilian Marksmanship Program sponsors teaching shooting with military style firearms. You may shoot an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine or an AR15. The course of fire includes shooting from Prone, Sitting and Standing.
Date: Every Other month on Saturday after Workparty check calendar
Time: 12:30pmm till they are finished
Cost: $30 for use of Club Ammo and Firearms. No Charge for your own ammo and firearm. 60 rounds required

Thanks and Regards,
Mike
Nice work and 250 for a rifle and event you never shot.
[cheers]
Look at this way thats 8.5 points per shot 250 or 83%
Sneak up into 9 points thats 270/90% and in the hunt!
IIRC garand top scores where 283 277 275 270 268?
I forget the vintage scores?

Biggest issue for me is seeing the sights. I wore a pair of 'top bifocals' and the sights were right on the line of the bifocal- drove me nuts. I have to work on
using a sling the right way. Was very uncomfortable prone, neck arthritis. lol
Lots of room for improvement.

My best Garand score yet I think...not quite to the level of being competitive, but just a sliver below Mac and that’s good enough for me! Total was 265/3X

37109CBA-0E35-4F72-82EB-B22402D9CF94.jpeg

And my vintage rifle (mostly correct Winchester M1917) surprisingly qualifying me for a bronze trinket! My very first CMP award...a proud moment for me, regardless of how bad my off hand was :/

3F816D09-ED4E-42CD-91ED-D45DFEC4EADD.jpeg

My best Garand score yet I think...not quite to the level of being competitive, but just a sliver below Mac and that’s good enough for me! Total was 265/3X

View attachment 306709

And my vintage rifle (mostly correct Winchester M1917) surprisingly qualifying me for a bronze trinket! My very first CMP award...a proud moment for me, regardless of how bad my off hand was :/

View attachment 306708

Congrats! Always nice to grab a trinket, especially against this crowd. 265 is a very solid Garand score, in fact I think in prior matches there would have been opportunities to grab a silver with that score.

Mac, I think one of your M1 scores was a mis-labeled score for DH's Vintage relay. DH had that corrected. 270 was bronze trinket, which is now on my desk in a mini OD green wood ammo case. For some damn reason I was about 6 points off in my rapids. M1 scores 97, 89 (ouch), 84.

Vintage with the K31 97, 90, 65 (ugh). I'm going to whine a little- I had one awfulhand shot I knew had potential to be a miss but another that was recorded as a miss but I think the scorer just couldn't find it. Thought that one should have at least been an 8 at ~4:00 on the target, based on my call. Maybe hit the scoring disc- as last shot was in that general area and was an 8. No biggie, wasn't going to be my day to beat the Spaghetti King or DH.

Biggest issue for me is seeing the sights. I wore a pair of 'top bifocals' and the sights were right on the line of the bifocal- drove me nuts. I have to work on
using a sling the right way. Was very uncomfortable prone, neck arthritis. lol
Lots of room for improvement.
As much as the positions can be "uncomfortable" once you get used to it and your locked in nice its almost effortless to hold the rifle.
Arthritis I know all to well. My hips where bothering me. My legs where moving the whole time looking for a "comfortable" spot. i also suffer mechanics neck and shoulders. You will see me often with my head down.
Rx are a PITA im sending my shooting glasses out tomorrow to have new stronger Rx lens made.

I'm thinking 308 M1 next time for Modern Military. Or maybe just shoot M1 Unlimited which will be out of competition but score is a score.

Yeah, time to give the el cheapo National Match build a workout:

OcsFP11h.jpg

For anyone bored, below is a link regarding this project from its inception to completion. Lots of help from the forum, especially @mac1911 and @dw617 .

UPDATE- Completed! 'Unlimited' M1 Build- Start w/ receiver or CMP Rifle?

Last edited:
I'm thinking 308 M1 next time for Modern Military. Or maybe just shoot M1 Unlimited which will be out of competition but score is a score.

Yeah, time to give the el cheapo National Match build a workout:

OcsFP11h.jpg

For anyone bored, below is a link regarding this project from its inception to completion. Lots of help from the forum, especially @mac1911 and @dw617 .

UPDATE- Completed! 'Unlimited' M1 Build- Start w/ receiver or CMP Rifle?
Was thinking same thing
308 M1
And Rock ola GI parts kit M1a

Bring it! 308 M1 grudge match (as if we have a grudge). Need to make some loads for the Bula if I bring it but hey it's a month away.
Not really a grudge but I will be having my own sub match.
Garand against that over engineered, redesigned M1 they call the M14!......heeheehee
I have some hot 168s loaded up ready to go. No idea how they will do , will have to wait to see.
I might bring the 513t to play with also.

I’ll be in the same type of sub match...except with a newly spaghetti barreled M1 and an M14 with commercial production ammo.

usually I like to break in my barrels REEEEEALY slow, but I have a feeling this one is going to hit the ground running!

a couple of miles from Reading Rifle
Thats not to bad at least the AM drive.
I go to reading when ever I get the chance. I can get there in about 1hr no traffic from kingston. Ride home can suck especially in summer one year a truck rolled over at the split.
Sat dead for 3 hrs before reaching the rt24 exit.

a couple of miles from Reading Rifle
Reading has a few cmp/garand shoots a year and theres probably a few clubs with in a hour
Theres a few just over the NH line and some at hardvard or mass rifle along with one up marblehead area?

Last edited:
I made the drive down from Andover a few times. Going down was never the problem, always the traffic in Boston going north on a Sunday. This time of year might not be as bad since I think the Cape tourism has died down. I think the only MA OK rifle I have for modern mil is my SKS which was an...experience the one time I tried it.

Reading has a few cmp/garand shoots a year and theres probably a few clubs with in a hour
Theres a few just over the NH line and some at hardvard or mass rifle along with one up marblehead area?

oh I didn't know that, is there a master list somewhere so I don't have to try every club's website?

Back
Top Bottom