2019 CMP M1 Garand Clinic and CMP games @ OCSA IS CLOSED SEE YOU IN 2020

JULY 7th match is M1 Clinic and Vintage Military aka Bolt Action service rifles.

i will be shooting a K98 with some "match loads"
Penciled in this match, I also was going to use K98 in Vintage. Need to come up with a load for the 200gr Noslers though.
Friend on the fence about coming. He might run the Lee-Enfield if he comes.

Penciled in this match, I also was going to use K98 in Vintage. Need to come up with a load for the 200gr Noslers though.
Friend on the fence about coming. He might run the Lee-Enfield if he comes.
I will be running a few test loads. I may have to shoot the enfield. The notch rear sights are getting very hard to see clearly.
I might try the arisaka again too?

Managed to catch some fresh .30-06 brass on the only bit of exposed skin during the rapids. Nice 1 inch burn on my neck under my left ear, feeling pretty ripe today. Maybe I'll shoot the next match in a turtleneck.

I will be running a few test loads. I may have to shoot the enfield. The notch rear sights are getting very hard to see clearly.
I might try the arisaka again too?
I had pretty good luck with AA2495 and 150gr Hornadys. Obviously a 50gr jump in projectile weight changes things.
Did you come up with a solution for sling use with the K98?

Managed to catch some fresh .30-06 brass on the only bit of exposed skin during the rapids. Nice 1 inch burn on my neck under my left ear, feeling pretty ripe today. Maybe I'll shoot the next match in a turtleneck.

Ouch! No hoodie at least flopped over your neck?

Probably will shoot K31 next match. Maybe the M39 but I have a rear peep conversion and would need to replace it with the stock blade. Besides, if the bolt gives me any trouble I don’t want to be accused of Mosin abuse like we had yesterday.

I did have trouble with the M1 reload and literally had to punch in the 8 round enbloc.

Ouch! No hoodie at least flopped over your neck?

Probably will shoot K31 next match. Maybe the M39 but I have a rear peep conversion and would need to replace it with the stock blade. Besides, if the bolt gives me any trouble I don’t want to be accused of Mosin abuse like we had yesterday.

I did have trouble with the M1 reload and literally had to punch in the 8 round enbloc.

I had pretty good luck with AA2495 and 150gr Hornadys. Obviously a 50gr jump in projectile weight changes things.
Did you come up with a solution for sling use with the K98?
I am a lefty so I just make a US GI web sling work......
Seriously though I found a lower band with the sling loop at the 6 oclock and I cant even remember if a put it on or not?
I also dont recall what lower band I ordered?
G98 transitional model? Yugo? i know I snagged a few varriants along with a band with both 6 and 9 OC position?
i also picked up one for the K31

Last edited:
Seriously though I found a lower band with the sling loop at the 6 oclock and I cant even remember if a put it on or not?
G98 transitional model? Yugo? i know I snagged a few varriants along with a band with both 6 and 9 OC position?
My band is at 9 o'clock so I was trying to think of a good solution. I haven't shot it prone yet, should probably try.

My band is at 9 o'clock so I was trying to think of a good solution. I haven't shot it prone yet, should probably try.
I picked a a few extra sling clips and cut it it fit the 9 oclock sling loop. The web sling might be aclittle short if your tall

I picked a a few extra sling clips and cut it it fit the 9 oclock sling loop. The web sling might be aclittle short if your tall
I'm only 5'8''.
The Lee-Enfield has a traditional 6 o'clock sling loop, might be better. However, I still haven't tuned the magazine so would be slow loading. This might be good motivation to do that though. Friend will be in Canada the weekend of that match as it turns out, so if I go, it'll be alone.

I'm only 5'8''.
The Lee-Enfield has a traditional 6 o'clock sling loop, might be better. However, I still haven't tuned the magazine so would be slow loading. This might be good motivation to do that though. Friend will be in Canada the weekend of that match as it turns out, so if I go, it'll be alone.
You having feed issues or loading issues

You having feed issues or loading issues
Feed issues, the last round in the magazine (i.e., if you load and fire all the other rounds) goes askew when the bolt starts pushing it forward. It points high and left. It gets out of line with the chamber and will not go in to the chamber without giving it a little push downwards manually. It's not a huge issue but it's kind of annoying. I think I just need to bend a feedlip a little, but I haven't done it yet/before.

I have the K11 sling loop mounted on the K31, and it’s at 6:00. Works great.

Need to check my GP11 stock. If adequate, I’ll shoot that. Probably just random luck, but at Vermont I out-scored a guy who won Perry Vintage with that GP11.

Feed issues, the last round in the magazine (i.e., if you load and fire all the other rounds) goes askew when the bolt starts pushing it forward. It points high and left. It gets out of line with the chamber and will not go in to the chamber without giving it a little push downwards manually. It's not a huge issue but it's kind of annoying. I think I just need to bend a feedlip a little, but I haven't done it yet/before.
Get a pair of those smooth round nose pliers and give it a tweek. I think I posted some links to how to do it somewhere?

I have the K11 sling loop mounted on the K31, and it’s at 6:00. Works great.

Need to check my GP11 stock. If adequate, I’ll shoot that. Probably just random luck, but at Vermont I out-scored a guy who won Perry Vintage with that GP11.
Same here, i dont know if I will see the rear sight well enough to keep shooting the K31. It will get a scope or pony up for the diopter sight set while they are still available. ?
Might just pack it in the back of the safe.
Going to tey one of those eye pal things too

Same here, i dont know if I will see the rear sight well enough to keep shooting the K31. It will get a scope or pony up for the diopter sight set while they are still available. ?
Might just pack it in the back of the safe.
Going to tey one of those eye pal things too

Eye pal = piece of electrical tape with a small hole in it?

Eye pal = piece of electrical tape with a small hole in it?
Been there, i cant get a clean hole and its a pita to move around. I have to try something or rear notch sighted rifles will be benched for all but plinking.
Sunday was a struggle vision wise. My stronger Rx is taking for ever to come in.

What, can't make it to your own backyard for a match? :D

Painted the Bula hand guard. It looks much more brown than it does in this pic:

viPVZZRh.jpg

Anyway, before the paint job it was shiny like a mirror. Pretty much no glare now.

Shooting fancy 155 TMK's over Varget in the Bula, HXP '65 in the CMP Special.

For the record, I credit the paint job for the 287-6X score last match. I think I'll try the same approach on my M1 for the next match- gotta do better than 266.

Well the k98 is most likely out. I cant see the rear notch.
Will try the K31 this week if I cant see that Im going to order the match diopter sight set and shoot in the Unlimitted Vintage Match - yeah I might have made that up but really who cares.

M
GET THEM BOLT GUNS OUT

Might head out to Granby this week for some long distance milsurp shooting. Need to drift the K31 front sight a little.

If I wear my man bun to shoot the 6.5 Creedmoor AR, will I go to hell if I shoot a M1 with a man bun?

What’s the typical come-up for M1A and M1 at 500 yards?

M

Might head out to Granby this week for some long distance milsurp shooting. Need to drift the K31 front sight a little.

If I wear my man bun to shoot the 6.5 Creedmoor AR, will I go to hell if I shoot a M1 with a man bun?

What’s the typical come-up for M1A and M1 at 500 yards?
2,3,7,11 is your basic come up. Should be in the black with these
You can use the drum to figure it out just count the clicks between each graduation mark starting on 1

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlYxB6dzzKw

Last edited:
2,3,7,11 is your basic come up. Should be in the black with these
You can use the drum to figure it out just count the clicks between each graduation mark starting on 1

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlYxB6dzzKw

Thanks, that's perfect. Actually now that I think of it, I believe Franco calibrated my drum on the one he build for me. Numbers are highlighted too, so I can see them.

Thanks, that's perfect. Actually now that I think of it, I believe Franco calibrated my drum on the one he build for me. Numbers are highlighted too, so I can see them.
I did not notice franco set my drum or not. I dont really see him doing that ? No idea of your ammo or your "zero"?
He did do a great job with highlighting the marks

I did not notice franco set my drum or not. I dont really see him doing that ? No idea of your ammo or your "zero"?
He did do a great job with highlighting the marks

He took mine to the range and shot with his usual loads. Close enough, but I should check and re-do. Usually I just leave at my 200 zero.

Back
Top Bottom