2019 Boston Red Sox

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
‘Truck Day’ Is Here: Red Sox Equipment Truck Set For Trek To Fort Myers

As the Patriots get set to return home as Super Bowl champs, the Red Sox are getting set to start their World Series defense. Monday is “Truck Day” in Boston.

The Red Sox equipment truck will start loading up at Fenway Park around 7 a.m. and depart for the team’s Spring Training facilities in Fort Myers, Florida around noon.

The truck will depart from Fenway Park on Van Ness Street, led by a flat-bed truck carrying Wally the Green Monster, his sister Tessie, and Fenway Ambassadors who will be handing out JetBlue collectible baseball card schedules filled with prizes and tossing soft Red Sox baseballs to fans.

For the 21st straight year, Milford native Al Hartz will be behind the wheel for the 1,480-mile trip. He’ll be hauling the following baseball equipment and supplies down to Fort Myers:
  • 20,400 baseballs
  • 1,100 bats
  • 200 batting gloves
  • 200 batting helmets
  • 320 Batting Practice tops
  • 160 white game jerseys
  • 300 pairs of pants
  • 400 t-shirts
  • 400 pairs of socks
  • 20 cases of bubble gum
  • 60 cases of sunflower seeds
“Truck Day” has been a tradition in Boston since 2003, signaling the unofficial start of Spring Training.

Red Sox Spring Training will officially begin on February 14, in Fort Myers, Florida.

Last edited:

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
RE: The postponed visit to the White House. Tentative date could be in trouble.

BOSTON -- It will be an eventful first few days of Spring Training for the Red Sox, as the club is expected to make a trip to the White House on Feb. 15, just two days after the first pitchers and catchers workout.

Red Sox president Sam Kennedy confirmed in December that the club had accepted President Trump's invitation for the traditional ceremony to celebrate their most recent World Series championship, but the date was in flux at that time.

Ultimately, the Red Sox and the White House agreed on Feb. 15, though there's a chance that date could change due to the ongoing government shutdown. But Red Sox players and staff have been told to plan on that date for the visit.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have to say that I am not a fan of these pro sports teams getting invited to the white house and then players decide they hate the president's politics so they do not attend.
The first time I was made aware of it is when Obama was the potus and the bruins won the cup. The goalie didn't attend.

I do agree that everyone....and I mean everyone is entitled to their own political opinion.

However, when it comes to your job STFU and just go. It is supposed to be an honor regardless of the politics.

So either make it mandatory that the players attend or just abolish the whole thing.

I'm sick of listen gin to these players and their political opinions and half the time they have no clue as to the issue they are protesting.

Alex Cora came out with some BS that he wouldn't attend because the the handling of the PR hurricane relief. We all know that supplies and support was there and the Island's officials screwed that process. But he is blaming Trump. Shows his ignorance.

Additionally, he is a manger and not a player. He should not have a choice..

So just end the WH visits or require everyone to attend and tell them to keep their political views to themselves. They can b#tch about it later.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
It's been 99 days since they won it all. Damn. I'm ready for the season to start AND not start - so I can savor it.

Congrats to Mooks for his SECOND champeenship this year.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
i'm ready for the season. almost forgot about the world series title, it was so long ago it seems.

BUMPA01603

NES Member
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Off-season moves have me a little worried about the bullpen, looks like they lost more than they gained

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Didn't she just almost die driving across Mexico????? Or maybe it was just her eyebrows that went.

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Dumbass! [banghead]

Red Sox's Steven Wright Suspended 80 Games for PED Violation

The Boston Red Sox will be without Steven Wright for half of the 2019 season after the MLB levied an 80-game suspension against the pitcher, MLB.com's Mark Feinsand reported on Tuesday afternoon.

Feinsand disclosed that Wright tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug called Growth Hormone Releasing Peptide 2 (GHRP-2), which violates the MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

Minutes after reports of Wright's suspension, the Red Sox released a statement (h/t Feinsand):

"The Boston Red Sox fully support Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program and its efforts to eliminate performance-enhancing substances from the game. While we are disappointed by the news of this violation, we will look to provide the appropriate support to Steven at this time. Going forward, the club will not comment further on the matter."

Red Sox's Steven Wright Suspended 80 Games for PED Violation

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have to say that I am not a fan of these pro sports teams getting invited to the white house and then players decide they hate the president's politics so they do not attend.
The first time I was made aware of it is when Obama was the potus and the bruins won the cup. The goalie didn't attend.

I do agree that everyone....and I mean everyone is entitled to their own political opinion.

However, when it comes to your job STFU and just go. It is supposed to be an honor regardless of the politics.

So either make it mandatory that the players attend or just abolish the whole thing.

I'm sick of listen gin to these players and their political opinions and half the time they have no clue as to the issue they are protesting.

Alex Cora came out with some BS that he wouldn't attend because the the handling of the PR hurricane relief. We all know that supplies and support was there and the Island's officials screwed that process. But he is blaming Trump. Shows his ignorance.

Additionally, he is a manger and not a player. He should not have a choice..

So just end the WH visits or require everyone to attend and tell them to keep their political views to themselves. They can b#tch about it later.
Did you hate when Tim Thomas did it

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
‘Truck Day’ Is Here: Red Sox Equipment Truck Set For Trek To Fort Myers

As the Patriots get set to return home as Super Bowl champs, the Red Sox are getting set to start their World Series defense. Monday is “Truck Day” in Boston.

The Red Sox equipment truck will start loading up at Fenway Park around 7 a.m. and depart for the team’s Spring Training facilities in Fort Myers, Florida around noon.

The truck will depart from Fenway Park on Van Ness Street, led by a flat-bed truck carrying Wally the Green Monster, his sister Tessie, and Fenway Ambassadors who will be handing out JetBlue collectible baseball card schedules filled with prizes and tossing soft Red Sox baseballs to fans.

For the 21st straight year, Milford native Al Hartz will be behind the wheel for the 1,480-mile trip. He’ll be hauling the following baseball equipment and supplies down to Fort Myers:
  • 20,400 baseballs
  • 1,100 bats
  • 200 batting gloves
  • 200 batting helmets
  • 320 Batting Practice tops
  • 160 white game jerseys
  • 300 pairs of pants
  • 400 t-shirts
  • 400 pairs of socks
  • 20 cases of bubble gum
  • 60 cases of sunflower seeds
“Truck Day” has been a tradition in Boston since 2003, signaling the unofficial start of Spring Training.

Red Sox Spring Training will officially begin on February 14, in Fort Myers, Florida.
Um, wouldn't it just be easier to have Amazon deliver all that stuff to Florida? Is there a lack of baseballs in FL? No sunflower seeds at the local grocery stores? Socks need to be brought down? The Floridians all go barefoot all the time?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yeah, I did. I'd have gone to the WH with Obamster in it. A chance to meet the president? We have 4 ex presidents and one current president. That's pretty select company, I don't care who y'are! Plus, it's still the White house. Oval office and all that.
Jusr making sure your consistent.

Horrible

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
1st game they counts is only 3 weeks away.

The people that made the schedules put the Sox on the road for the first 3 series. Home opener isn’t until 4/8. Probably smart to minimize the chances of a snow out

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
1st game they counts is only 3 weeks away.

The people that made the schedules put the Sox on the road for the first 3 series. Home opener isn’t until 4/8. Probably smart to minimize the chances of a snow out
it'll still probably be all of 42 degrees out!

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm liking this mic'ing up of the outfielders. That's sorta interesting. JBJ and Brockstar are pretty funny guys.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to start an opening day thread, but given that this thread exists....TOP.

On this beautifully sunny Thursday in late March, I was awoken to the sound of birds chirping and it finally felt like spring was in the air. And what could be better on OPENING DAY? FINALLY! I'm so happy about it that I've disregarded the fact that I just topped a Red Sox thread even though I'm Yankees fan. :emoji_innocent:

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My SIL's BIL (think on that one) is a big Carolina Panthers fan. He was VERY happy when the Panthers ran over the Pats early in the season. We won the Sbowl.

Who do you think his favorite baseball team is??? He could be the Sox karma we need. Maybe Seattle can sweep them. LOL

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
It was just about this time last year when I thought and wrote that the Sox should go far. Hoping they right their ship.

All I can say so far this year is; "Go Bruins!".

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
It was just about this time last year when I thought and wrote that the Sox should go far. Hoping they right their ship.

All I can say so far this year is; "Go Bruins!".
Definitely not the same start as last year and seems like the team doesn't have the same energy/enthusiasm - but it is only a handful of games into the season

Has to be hard to have a 11-game road trip (and on the west coast) at the start of the season

Sale looked good on his second start although his velocity is down a bit - he has had very few starts in spring training so going to take him a bit of time to get rolling again

On a good note - the bullpen has an Era of something in the low 2s I think

JDs off to a good start this year and no reason to think he will slump this year

A couple of soild wins will right the ship

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Definitely not the same start as last year and seems like the team doesn't have the same energy/enthusiasm - but it is only a handful of games into the season
This. For an organization that won the series last year there just doesn't seem to be the excitement they had last year.

I can't remember them starting a season with an 11 game road trip. I hope things change when they get some home-lovin' under their belt.

ETA: the last time it was a start with more than a 6-game road trip was 2003 when it was 9 games.

I can go down a rabbit hole using this site: 2019 Boston Red Sox Schedule | Baseball-Reference.com

Last edited:

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Blake Swihart DFA, Sandy Leon brought back from Pawtucket today. He'll be behind the plate when Sale pitches. I don't know about anyone else, but I was baffled when they sent Leon down. He's a much better defensive catcher than either Vasquez or Swihart and neither is really tearing the cover off the ball.

Swihart started as an infielder (I think) and for some reason the Red Sox tried to turn him into a catcher/utility player. He can still be traded or taken off of waivers before his release.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Blake Swihart DFA, Sandy Leon brought back from Pawtucket today. He'll be behind the plate when Sale pitches. I don't know about anyone else, but I was baffled when they sent Leon down. He's a much better defensive catcher than either Vasquez or Swihart and neither is really tearing the cover off the ball.

Swihart started as an infielder (I think) and for some reason the Red Sox tried to turn him into a catcher/utility player. He can still be traded or taken off of waivers before his release.
Swihart started as a catcher they moved all over, stunted his growth including a stint in the outfield that trashed his ankle. He was once one of the best catching prospects in baseball offensively. He worked hard trying to play everything but catcher that I think they ruined his career

Top Bottom