• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2019-2020 Snowmobile thread

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
He let it go for 1K. Full service, new tires and LED tails.
I need a trailer for mud season and thought hard on it but a new Renegade Enduro wasn’t going to clear.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Got this off the pager yesterday:

Medway, MA *Snowmobile Acc* 112 Village St. Snowmobile VS Tree. SVCS O/S. CPR In Progress On Driver. 1:00 pm

First one I know of this season. Never got an update. Maybe the local Medway news will report something.
Last year we already had several fatal crashes by this time in the season.

Be safe out there.

Oh, and I'm jealous, I haven't even ridden a snow machine in over 10 years.
My cousin used to let me ride his late 90's Phazer tripple, and it was scary fast enough for me, it was also a gas hog, doing about 30 miles on a tank.
I could go buy a snowmobile, but realistically, I wouldn't have time to use it.
I already have an ATV, which I bought new in 1999, and still have under 2000 miles on it.
Seriously, I'm lucky if I make it out to the trails four or five times a year. [angry]
The older you get, the less time you have for fun stuff.
The only time I really get to use it is when I'm plowing my driveway.

Last edited:

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0

Medway, MA *Snowmobile Acc* 112 Village St. Snowmobile VS Tree. SVCS O/S. CPR In Progress On Driver. 1:00 pm

First one I know of this season. Never got an update. Maybe the local Medway news will report something.

Be safe out there.

My cousin used to let me ride his late 90's Phazer tripple, and it was scary fast enough for me, it was also a gas hog, doing about 30 miles on a tank.
I already have an ATV, which I bought new in 1999, and still have under 2000 miles on it.
Seriously, I'm lucky if I make it out to the trails four or five times a year. [angry]
The Phazer was an air cooled twin. Top speed was around 65 flat out. I had a 86 in great shape. In fact I sold it to a friend for ice fishing 2 years ago. Still runs like a top.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
The 80’s Phazer were the #1 selling sled in the US. But as others caught up, Yamaha took the Phazer of the market in 2001 or 2002.

In 2007 a new Phazer was introduced. It’s a fuel injected 500cc twin four stroke with 80hp and revs to 11,000rpm, geared to a peak of 7700 rpms through reduction gears. 62 lb ft of torque. It was designed to handle like a dirt bike, with a 14x121” track and rider-forward position.

We Have one and it’s had its share of teething problems, with a number of recalls. It’s worth about $12 used, and since the engines routinely run 10,000 miles, we decided to keep it. Our kids enjoy it. Uses high test but gets about 20mpg. Good handling on trails but can’t break trail at all.

Think they went off the market again in 2015. Yamaha has focused on their fuel injected liter motor, also available with turbo charging. Their market share is way down.

Balances at the pegs and fits in the van.

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Had a Phazer (I think '09). It was "just okay". Weighed a trillion pounds. Was very tippy. Went 2 stroke Renegade and never looked back.

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The 80’s Phazer were the #1 selling sled in the US. But as others caught up, Yamaha took the Phazer of the market in 2001 or 2002.

In 2007 a new Phazer was introduced. It’s a fuel injected 500cc twin four stroke with 80hp and revs to 11,000rpm, geared to a peak of 7700 rpms through reduction gears. 62 lb ft of torque. It was designed to handle like a dirt bike, with a 14x121” track and rider-forward position.

We Have one and it’s had its share of teething problems, with a number of recalls. It’s worth about $12 used, and since the engines routinely run 10,000 miles, we decided to keep it. Our kids enjoy it. Uses high test but gets about 20mpg. Good handling on trails but can’t break trail at all.

Think they went off the market again in 2015. Yamaha has focused on their fuel injected liter motor, also available with turbo charging. Their market share is way down.

Balances at the pegs and fits in the van.

I feel like an idiot; I first looked at that photo and thought "what in hell kind of rack system does he have on the back of that thing??".

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Had a Phazer (I think '09). It was "just okay". Weighed a trillion pounds. Was very tippy. Went 2 stroke Renegade and never looked back.
It was designed to be “tippy” they were trying to appeal to dirt bike riders. Hence the 14” track.

Sold our old Venture and the new ones are too big. We are looking at Ski Doo Expedition and Grand Touring. BRP’s reputation in (2 stroke DI) couldn’t be worse, but these models are available with the Rotax 900 ACE 4 stroke, which seems to be extremely reliable.

Those machines are pricy so we may just buy a single person 600 Ace and go from there. Renegade Sport R.E.V. 4 has the 600 Ace, 137x15 track and is less than $10,000.

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0

Be safe out there.

its funny, now that the kids are grown i find i actually have more time for shooting, motorcycles, atvs and finally a snowmobile. priorities brother

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I ride dirt bikes and the phazer never felt great to me. No idea what you are you talking about regarding ski doo 2 stroke DI. I had two 600 etecs and they were bomb proof. Never heard anything remotely close to any complaints with that motor. I like the two strokes because they are light. One of the two strokes was a grand touring and it was a great sled - didn’t have a single problem with that sled. Whether you get it in two-stroke or four stroke I would expect that you would like it a lot.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The Phazer was an air cooled twin. Top speed was around 65 flat out. I had a 86 in great shape. In fact I sold it to a friend for ice fishing 2 years ago. Still runs like a top.
My bad, I called my cousin and asked which one of his sleds had the triple, he said it was a 1997 Vmax.
The one he had before that was a Phazer from the 1980's, which I had also ridden, but the memory gets a little hazy after so many years.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
My bad, I called my cousin and asked which one of his sleds had the triple, he said it was a 1997 Vmax.
The one he had before that was a Phazer from the 1980's, which I had also ridden, but the memory gets a little hazy after so many years.
A quick review on Yami’s. Please forgive spelling.
Phaser and Enticer were air cooled. The later was the faster model.
In 93 or 4 the VMax came out in various 5-600 configurations plus the 4 cylinder model came out that was VMax 4. Great flat track/lake winner. I bought a 95 500 and blew it up in Fort Kent Maine. Traded for a 600 to come home on in 96 then blew that in 97. Fixed it and sold it.
In 98 the SRX was re-released as a triple/triple and I Spring checked one in Rangley Maine.
At the time the comparisons were the Doo Mach 1 and Z and the Cat Thundercat. There was another Cat but I do forget the model. The offering from Polaris was the XCR and the Storm. All of these were T/T sleds and the SRX was the most advanced according to mag reviews. I bought one and it was fast. Very fast out of the box. I then sent out the heads and walls for machining plus base gaskets and reeds. Pipes and clutching then traction rods.
It was an animal with a top speed over 130 and hung the skis at 90 any time you pressed the trigger. Near nothing passed that sled and when it did it was a solid fight.
My issue with Yami is they are so damn difficult to work on.
Having a new sled now I realize I’m not working on this new stuff. That SRX was by far the most fun ride I’ve ever run. Brings a smile every time I look back on it.
I have a mint Mach1 in the garage that I’m keeping. Most likely as an antique drag race sled.
Looking forward to the 20 850 Etec and fine tuning it for my ride. Don’t ride as aggressive on the trails in my older years now but I’ll be damned if I back down.

In further thought. Yes, the VMax line did continue into the triple engines. My sister and BIL bought a few. This was prior to the RX-1 release. That was a great sled but again, a PITA to work on.

Last edited:

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
2000-something polaris trail 600 here, 2 stroke. Like riding a chainsaw. 30 to 60 mph in a second or two. Just a used bomb around town sled, as above no time to go anywhere alot, but lucky to live in a small farm town that has lots of trails right out my back door. Today was fun, let the teenage daughter beat the heck out of it, good times.

BlackwaterFence

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have 3 sleds and the least used is a grand touring with 600 ace. It's a great running motor, but not really fast.
The old 600 carb and 600 SDI are a lot more responsive

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's that vertical thing with the light on it used for, towing water skiers ??? [laugh]
A beacon for towing a groomer. Makes it so they’re visible from afar, at night, to high speed sleds, when the groomers typically go out. I believe it’s a law in NH you have to have a beacon, like for a tow truck, if pulling a drag at night. Neighbor has one on his outlander 1000 that he puts tracks on to pull a drag.

lancecolonel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
guys, need some help. my husband is into sledding and i want to find him stuff he can use on the trail as christmas presents. my brother suggested a snobunje cobra which i ordered but i was thinking i wanted to add a hatchet of some type for trail work. any of you ever had the need for something like that on the trails? what would you use? also want to know if you can recommend a sled bag for a 2009 crossfire? sled looks like the picture but i'm not sure of exact model#
thanks in advance!

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
guys, need some help. my husband is into sledding and i want to find him stuff he can use on the trail as christmas presents. my brother suggested a snobunje cobra which i ordered but i was thinking i wanted to add a hatchet of some type for trail work. any of you ever had the need for something like that on the trails? what would you use? also want to know if you can recommend a sled bag for a 2009 crossfire? sled looks like the picture but i'm not sure of exact model#
thanks in advance!
The most useful thing on the trail is cash: gas, lunch, etc.

Or, those hand/foot warmer packs.
I think a folding saw is more practical than a axe.

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Found a trailer right in my home town. :) broke it first time I tried to load the machine, thank god no video. Lmao. Need to find this part if
Anyone has any ideas. It’s one of the 4 corner pinned hold downs. It’s a Floe trailer.

also wondering if it could be welded. Can’t tell what’s made of.

Attachments

Last edited:

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
So I was wondering if it’s aluminum and if so, can it can be welded and I just noticed the opposite corner appears to have been EAC20D02-D378-4046-871A-D37B1DB5A99C.jpegpreviously welded.

Top Bottom