2019 / 2020 Skiing & Boarding Thread

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Having only skied in the East I can't even comprehend snow like that. It looks amazing.
I was in Breck last year when they had 18” of snow fall. It was awesome at first but as it got deeper I found I couldn’t “float” on the snow and took a pretty bad crashed. Cracked a rib. Had a new respect for skiing in fresh powder.

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in Breck last year when they had 18” of snow fall. It was awesome at first but as it got deeper I found I couldn’t “float” on the snow and took a pretty bad crashed. Cracked a rib. Had a new respect for skiing in fresh powder.
I had to move my bindings back and extra 1" on my already directional pow board. And still lean back. It was SOOOOOO good.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Went backcountry skiing for the first time! Pretty wild experience. The idea of climbing up a mountain with your skis, putting your skis on at the top, and skiing down it, is absolutely mindblowing to me. I used this bag from amazon which definitely made the difference. I will certainly do more of this on a larger scale (this was Mt Tecumseh/Waterville Valley for practice). Highly recommended activity. Gorgeous day in the mountains yesterday 👌
1582072665596.png
1582072683549.png
1582072700080.png
1582072715234.png

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Went backcountry skiing for the first time! Pretty wild experience. The idea of climbing up a mountain with your skis, putting your skis on at the top, and skiing down it, is absolutely mindblowing to me. I used this bag from amazon which definitely made the difference. I will certainly do more of this on a larger scale (this was Mt Tecumseh/Waterville Valley for practice). Highly recommended activity. Gorgeous day in the mountains yesterday 👌
View attachment 332809
View attachment 332810
View attachment 332811
View attachment 332812
You skiid down the groomed trails or off piste?

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Up at SR right now. Been dumping wet snow all day. No good pics to take. Forgot how much powder works the legs. I'm toast right now.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got AT skis this season and skins. Its a much more pleasant way to make it up the mountain.
My buddy has them. I'm not a fan of skinning up a mountain, kinda ghey. Unless the trail is specifically designed for skinning (i.e. Mt Tecumseh trail), then it's not worth it IMO. I'd rather strap skis on my back, hike up like usual, gear up at the top, ski down.
[rockon]

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up at SR right now. Been dumping wet snow all day. No good pics to take. Forgot how much powder works the legs. I'm toast right now.
I shoulda checked the thread, I was there yesterday too. Wish Jordan bowl had been open, we were all over the mountain, found some sweet spots in the trees where you could actually see what the hell you were doing.

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has them. I'm not a fan of skinning up a mountain, kinda ghey. Unless the trail is specifically designed for skinning (i.e. Mt Tecumseh trail), then it's not worth it IMO. I'd rather strap skis on my back, hike up like usual, gear up at the top, ski down.
[rockon]
skinning is way less work than hiking using snowshoes, also should be faster. I have a splitboard, love using it.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I shoulda checked the thread, I was there yesterday too. Wish Jordan bowl had been open, we were all over the mountain, found some sweet spots in the trees where you could actually see what the hell you were doing.
The mountain was great today. Sun's out buns out!

Found some pockets of powder which was nice.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
[rockon]
Time for Tuckerman's!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
[rockon]
The trail up is not always going to be bootpacked for you. If you are first to break trail after a decent snowfall, you will be postholing with boots and crampons, and even with snowshoes on you will waste a lot of energy with backward sliding through loose snow.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Had a Sabre pepper spray in my pants pocket today. Settled down in the lodge for lunch and felt a little warmth in the right quad area. First I thought it was just skin irritation but then I thought the spray may be leaking (even with the safety cap). Noticed a quarter-sized oil stain on that area. Sure enough, a small leak had occurred.

Put it away and went back to lunch. Now the sandwich had a pleasant spicy-ness to it. Must have rubbed off from my hand. Nice!

Remind to self: wash hands before touching my d*ck!

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just got back from a KILLER weekend at Sugarloaf. Oh man, talk about SPEED! This mountain is turbo afterburners...all, day, long. Hard packed powder mostly everywhere. Super sunny clear views with great visibility and insane views of the Bigelows. Some of the best quality groomed trails I've ever seen.
Oh, and my first DOUBLE black diamond = White nitro. The steepest lift-accessed trail in the northeast at 43 degrees.
My and my buddy at the top of white nitro before our suicide jump.
1583712064315.png
See the trails below? That's "regular steep". The drop in front of me is straight down. And we were first tracks on this run since the summit lift was closed all weekend.
1583712157266.png

Maine, I'm a fan. And I will be back

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well folks, looks like this season could be coming to a crashing halt thanks to the Dos Equis virus. I was planning a March trip to Stowe but they are closed through the 22nd, possibly for the season. The Wa was planning a Super-G race yesterday but that was killed on Friday. Too bad- it was hard as a rock until noon, which would have been perfect for the race. I've heard the same for many others. Just took the last lift served run at the Wa a little while ago and drowned the sorrows with a beer in the afternoon sun. All indoor services were completely closed off and probably Wa is done for the season. There's still a bit of snow in case anyone wants to hike or skin.

Not a terrible season, considering. I probably have 60 days or more including beer league night races. My team made it to the championship GS race and finished better than our incoming ranking. Didn't ski well this season because of the knee, but had fun with middle of the pack results excepting bronze in one of the open races, no major pain issues, and no crashes. I heard elective surgeries are on hold, so hopefully I can have my blown ACL repaired on schedule in late April.

Last edited:

kro77

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My wife and I were able to get a long weekend at Sunshine Banff before the fit hit the shan. Some of the best skiing I have ever done. Snowed first two days (about 18) and then sunshine. We were lucky enough to stay on the mountain so could get first chair each day. But altitude at 7200 for hotel was tougher than I expected. If there is a world next year we are so going back.

if anyone ever goes out there try the Snowhost program it is a great intro to the mountain.
EDA6E3DD-B795-445B-B5A0-A241BDCB38FD.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom