2019 / 2020 Skiing & Boarding Thread

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Anyone stoked yet???

Long range forecasts (as if they are ever correct, LOL) calling for a stormy northeast, but not necessarily all snow. Last season kinda sucked here, with some decent snow immediately followed by heavy rain, followed by COLD that froze the wet snow. Upside was that the snow covered by hard ice seemed to have put a big damper on my recent chipmunk invasion.

That said, the often hard surface was good for the race course at the Wa and I had a decent season. Here's me at NASTAR Nationals at Squaw in late April this year-

Skied like crap, knee was in bad shape, but had a blast. LOL, guess I had too many beers in my beer league races- I've already dropped 10 lbs since then. Squaw still had 20 feet at the summit and 7 feet at the base. Was getting very warm and soft by late AM, which gets 'interesting' when trying to get to the course on race skis.

NESers- Any good plans for the upcoming season?

What's everyone up to this winter?

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hopefully same as last year. Getting up once a month to Sunday River for two days of skiing each trip.

Kid is young enough where we can go up Wednesday night and ski Thursday and Friday to avoid lines.

Drive home Saturday morning...

That metric gets us about 8 days of skiing a year.

pupchow

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Had season passes for Mount Snow last season. Used them only a few times. Got passes for Ski Butternut this season.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Going Heli skiing in BC with a big group early, Mid Dec, I need to drop 20 before that!
pics and stories when you get back please! This is on my bucket list...and I have to do it soon because I'm already 48.

I picked up a new pair of Rossi Soul 7 HD's last week, 105 under foot will be my daily drivers. I'm hoping to see a lot of powder in the glades this year.
Fell in love with them when I demo'd them at Jay last year.

Warren Miller film booked.....need to book a vacay very soon. I decided on Okemo this year.

loonski

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
pics and stories when you get back please! This is on my bucket list...and I have to do it soon because I'm already 48.

I picked up a new pair of Rossi Soul 7 HD's last week, 105 under foot will be my daily drivers. I'm hoping to see a lot of powder in the glades this year.
Fell in love with them when I demo'd them at Jay last year.

Warren Miller film booked.....need to book a vacay very soon. I decided on Okemo this year.
I skied the Soul's on my first Heli Trip, got a pair for glades a few years back, good in the soft stuff but I like some more metal under foot on NE hardpack. I'm 57 so you got plenty of Heli Trips to go!

SteelShooter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'm looking forward to getting out a lot this year. Am booking several weeks at Gunstock with my RV. Skiing, snowshoeing alot this year.

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have unlimited pass at Ragged and midweek pass for Loon, Sunday River and the Loaf. Probably won't go to the loaf. I'm down to go anywhere though if anyone wants to meet up.

Shameless plug for my side gig, I snow gear online with these guys. They're a startup outta CA and it's been great so far. Full disclosure I make 10% commission from sales which I will split with any NES members who buy. We'll price match anyone online so you always get the best price. PM me if anyone needs anything OR if you're a gear junky and wanna make some sweet easy side money lemme know we're still hiring.

Franco's Profile on Curated.com

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Wife and I have passes at Ragged for the 3rd straight year, and are spending Christmas at Smugglers Notch. It will be the first time either of us have skied there.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Wife and I have passes at Ragged for the 3rd straight year, and are spending Christmas at Smugglers Notch. It will be the first time either of us have skied there.
Smuggs is fun, but it is kind of a pain to get there. Remember that the notch road from Stowe to Smuggs is closed in winter and you have to drive around.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got the epic pass this yr. Plan on skiing okemo and snow a lot. Trying to put together a Park City trip, vail, or breckenridge. Also planning on a ski trip maybe to Attitash for my bachelor party. And a short week to smuggs. Can't wait. My 9 yr old really likes skiing so its becoming a great family hobby.

SteelShooter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Got the epic pass this yr. Plan on skiing okemo and snow a lot. Trying to put together a Park City trip, vail, or breckenridge. Also planning on a ski trip maybe to Attitash for my bachelor party. And a short week to smuggs. Can't wait. My 9 yr old really likes skiing so its becoming a great family hobby.
I remember when my kids first got into it, they were 10 and 7, I would take them up to King Pine for night skiing, $39 for a family of 4! We went just about every weekend. It's a great hill to learn on and still one of my favorites to chill out on for a few hours during the week.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
The A Basin in Colorado is open with 2 trails. They are usually the first. Just booked my trip for Breckenridge in January and getting my EPIC pass shortly. Can't wait. Going to be a good season this year. Think I need to upgrade my skis this year. I'm partial to Volkl and their 2020 Mantras are calling my name.

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I skied Breck a few years back and it was one of the best trips I’ve had. Have fun!

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Guns are on at Killington.
Won't be long now.
Damn, almost time to break-down and clean my match rifles then put them up for the season. I try to force myself to do that before starting to tune skis. Where did that non-ski season go?

Just heard from the captain of our ski race team (3 teams of 6). Everyone is 'in' and healthy.

Thought it wasn't looking good for the Wa to make snow for Thanksgiving week but we could have some lows below freezing in a couple days. Late next week some days appear to stay below freezing for much of the day. There are even some snow showers forecasted for Friday the 8th.

Let the snow dances begin!

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Moved to northern Utah in late July. Going to pick up an IKON Pass and try to get at least 50 days in.

Unfortunately, the two closest resorts to me (Beaver Mtn - 45 min and Snowbasin - 1:15) aren’t on the pass, but for good local powder days The Beav can’t be beat. Similar size to Sunapee, but 400” of snow annually..and $50 lift tickets. I’m stoked!

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A Basin in Colorado is open with 2 trails. They are usually the first. Just booked my trip for Breckenridge in January and getting my EPIC pass shortly. Can't wait. Going to be a good season this year. Think I need to upgrade my skis this year. I'm partial to Volkl and their 2020 Mantras are calling my name.
Mantra's are good, little tired. They haven't really changed them in the last 8 years or so. There are better options out there depending on what you're doing

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Mantra's are good, little tired. They haven't really changed them in the last 8 years or so. There are better options out there depending on what you're doing
From the majors, what ski would you prefer over the Mantras? I go from E88's to a P-tex riddled pair of Gotamas depending on conditions. Of course most the time I'm on race skis- SL's for fun and training, GS for race. Anyway, given how the E88's perform in a variety of conditions I don't feel like I have a gap between them and the Gotamas which are for the rare powder days or deep spring slop. Maybe I'm missing out on something? Dunno...

On another note, I'm mostly shaking my head over Ski Mag's east rankings: SKI Magazine's Top 20 Ski Resorts in the East for 2020

My winter gym (The Wa) opens tomorrow. This cold snap has allowed them to make a sh!t-ton of snow this week. They should have some nice groomers tomorrow, as they have already shut down the guns and are laying down the carpet. Kinda nice to have it open so early.

Skiing through active snow making can go from annoying to outright dangerous. I once watched a kid on the team ski under an active gun where her skis stuck so suddenly that she flew out of her bindings and went through the air like Super Girl for a couple seconds. Couple years ago they had all the guns going on Cannon's front five DURING a snow storm! Giant mounds of sticky stuff covering the powder. Would have been nice to take shelter in those lower runs but hey that's Cannon.

Last edited:

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Was at Ski Monster in Boston today.

Wife got all new gear... She picked up the Blizzard Black Pearl ski and Technica Cochise boots.

Helmet, goggles.... Poles. We are pumped to ride this year.

Heading up to Sunday River second week in December.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
From the majors, what ski would you prefer over the Mantras?
I'd be interested in this answer as well. Been riding Volkls since I raced Slalom and GS during my college days with P9s. They've always run great for me. From the research I've been doing the Mantras are in the top 3 of most reviews for all mountain skiing.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Stowe opens up 11/22 (friday).

Props to Killington for bringing out the snow guns. It's very expensive to run, but it seems like they wanna get this party started ASAP.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If we don't have the ice storm and heavy rain crap season of last year, this could shape up to be a very nice season. Those of us on skis might each day get an hour or two more of good snow before the knuckle-draggers scrape it down to ice. [devil]

Sh!t disturbing aside, I may take a lesson or two in snowboarding. Anyone know the learning curve for switching from GS ski racing to GS alpine board racing? I'm getting PT for my knee and maybe eventually the knife, but going to a board might be a safer bet. Also for race league, the handicaps for boards are pretty generous and there are a lot of points to gain if you are halfway decent.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Sh!t disturbing aside, I may take a lesson or two in snowboarding. Anyone know the learning curve for switching from GS ski racing to GS alpine board racing?
Bring a LOT of patience with you when you do it. I took snowboard lessons and spent all day going down the Wachusett's bunny slope 4 time. I'm still sore just thinking about it. You're results may vary, but I gave up as it was frustrating as hell. There's no terrain I won't try on skies and I couldn't even make it down the bunny slope one time on a snowboard without falling multiple times.

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the majors, what ski would you prefer over the Mantras? I go from E88's to a P-tex riddled pair of Gotamas depending on conditions. Of course most the time I'm on race skis- SL's for fun and training, GS for race. Anyway, given how the E88's perform in a variety of conditions I don't feel like I have a gap between them and the Gotamas which are for the rare powder days or deep spring slop. Maybe I'm missing out on something? Dunno...
actually, given what you’re telling me here the Mantra fits perfect if you wanna stick with the bigger companies. Most of the skiers I work with at my online gig are all about the small independent brands, they all rave about Black Crows.

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we don't have the ice storm and heavy rain crap season of last year, this could shape up to be a very nice season. Those of us on skis might each day get an hour or two more of good snow before the knuckle-draggers scrape it down to ice. [devil]

Sh!t disturbing aside, I may take a lesson or two in snowboarding. Anyone know the learning curve for switching from GS ski racing to GS alpine board racing? I'm getting PT for my knee and maybe eventually the knife, but going to a board might be a safer bet. Also for race league, the handicaps for boards are pretty generous and there are a lot of points to gain if you are halfway decent.
I’ll teach you. Takes about 3 days to learn and pick up. If you’re comfortable on snow which you obviously are the learning curve is a little different. Depending on your shoe size I got extra boards you can use.

Top Bottom