1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

2019-2020 New England Patriots

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 5811, Feb 4, 2019.

1. MarlboroughMan

MarlboroughMan NES Member

Understood... it's tough to compare anybody in terms of net worth... my point is that most of us could probably think of some consensual relationship in our past that didn't end well and anybody can accuse anybody of anything. I'd hate to have some young lady who I may have wronged in some way (no not raped) come forward and demand money from my employer and have my employer tell me to get lost just based on an unsubstantiated allegation. These athletes are so high profile and have so much money that they are very easy targets and a lot of them simply aren't smart enough to avoid being set up for this kind of sh*t. If she can substantiate it then of course I say dump his ass, but I also believe that she should have filed a criminal complaint if she has evidence that he actually committed rape.

2. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

I was actually surprised they even picked this guy up. He's on the downhill side of his career. In his prime, the dude was a weapon. Now...not so much. At least he still gets to lace 'em up and play the game. Can't really fee TOO sorry for a millionaire. :)

3. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

7???

Name 'em. KC, Rams. That's all I got. If the Packers get their O going...then them as well...but right now...not so much. Same with Chicago. Trubisky is too inconsistent. Eagles? No. Though, I've seen at least on analyst predict a KC - Philly Superbowl. This was BEFORE the Brown trade though.

4. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

I still don't get the civil part of this. If she were raped, I'd figure she'd want to put the dude away for some time and get a sex crime conviction on his record then the civil case pretty much wins itself.based on the conviction.

If THAT failed, then sure...go after him civilly like they did with OJ.

One point to consider though. The timing may not be completely lined up. Think about this: she would have to find a lawyer, explain the case and convince them to take it. That doesn't happen in a week.

And honestly, would most of you Pats fans be defending the guy if he were still on the Raiders? Be honest. You'd probably just say, "Yeah...typical for a Raiders player" or some such.

5. LittleCalm

LittleCalm NES Member

He’s a dope but she likely had this teed up and ready to go. Was just waiting for the right time to launch. It is also odd that she didn’t go to the DA first.

XqqS and MarlboroughMan like this.
  6. MarlboroughMan

MarlboroughMan NES Member

I'm a rabid Pats fan... but I don't care which team a player is on, if he were still a Raider I'd feel the same way (that anybody can come forward with a civil suit regardless of merit and that suit shouldn't have any bearing on the player's right to work unless or until there's some evidence that the guy is guilty... there are plenty of allegations levied against famous athletes that have turned out to be bogus). What if a team decides that they don't want Tom Brady to play next week so they pay some player's wife's girlfriend who dated Brady 20 years ago to file a civil suit against him... does the league sit him too? I don't care what team the player plays for and I don't care what his record of stupidity is... an allegation in a civil suit (that should have been filed criminally if it had merit) is not grounds for sitting the guy unless there's at least some solid evidence demonstrating that a rape/crime took place. I'm also having a hard time getting my head around the fact (included in her allegations) that she repeatedly returned to his place and to work with him and have a relationship with him after she was allegedly raped the first time. That alone seems ridiculous to me.

XqqS, 5811, T-Unit and 4 others like this.
  7. RIFLEMAN1000

RIFLEMAN1000

Much easier to win a civil case than criminal case .

blindfire likes this.
  8. zboys

zboys NES Member

Black woman bad!

9. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

I'll say it. And for those who don't know me, I'm a woman. Not a man hater. Love my husband. I think it's all bullshit. She was looking for something else. No way would I ever "return" to a work environment where a man exposed himself to me. Never mind do it 2 or 3 more times? Really?! WTF?! And why the hell would she wait so long? Why not try to have him charged criminally back then? I heard someone claim that since she is only seeking $75k in her lawsuit it's "proof" this is "not a money grab" and "strengthens her allegations." Really? You do realize that in civil suits a jury can award a lot more than a person asks for, right? What happens when the jury decides her "emotional distress" is worth $75 million. I think, and obviously this is all speculation, that she wanted some type of "long term relationship" with her. Maybe once he moved on to NE she realized he wasn't going to be "bringing her along." No idea what she's up to or why but I smell bullshit.

10. Noreaster

Noreaster NES Member

Using the standards of the NFL, how many games did Roethlisberger miss for raping that girl?

Super99Z, Alien and northny like this.
  11. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Good points. Well said. And I agree with you.

MarlboroughMan likes this.
  12. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Yep...preponderance of the evidence vs beyond a reasonable doubt.

13. qqac

qqac

The statement of $75k amount in controversy is just to meet the minimum jurisdictional amount for bringing a diversity case in federal court.

14. wilson911

wilson911

Does the "never stick it in crazy" rule apply if you are crazy yourself?

15. Igotid

Igotid NES Member

Much ado about nothing. Let’s play some football.

16. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

Guy on the radio got sued for defamation.

Guy settles out of court for $8,000. Lawyer bill was $30,000.

No doubt he’d attorneys are taking it on contingency.

17. robjax

robjax

heard on the news today that the NFL and the woman will meet to talk.

Not sure how I feel about that. If I were her lawyer the only organization I would be speaking to is the DA's office.

I think her agreeing to meet with the NFL weakens her position with whatever she is trying to accomplish.

If she was raped he should be in jail. I understand the incident happened a long time ago and with three separate instances that allegedly led up to the rape you do have to ask yourself why she kept going back. I don't have the answer but that does leave some doubt as to the validity of her claim.

But that doesn't mean her allegations are false.

So she should be talking to law enforcement. They know what questions to ask and how to ask them when they are interviewing an alleged rape victim.

Update: just heard she cannot meet with the NFL until next week at the earliest because she is getting married first....

18. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

...and her wedding costs $75K

mass likes this.
  19. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I hate to just dismiss this easily, as it is a serious charge against someone with some obvious screws loose.....but this just feels like a money grab to me. Especially where she didnt peruse it legally, just wanted to sue him with her name and face all over the media. So it obviously wasnt a case of not wanting to relive it. Granted, it doesn't appear that we are dealing with two rocket scientists here.

I was ready to write off Edelmans career pretty early on when the reports were made against him, but that was BS.

robjax likes this.
  20. robjax

robjax

that was definitely a thought...

21. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

SO now the truth comes out. AB's accuser filed lawsuit after trying to negotiate a $2MILLION settlement and AB refusing to sign the agreement! She is definitely coming after the money.

Fixxah, MarlboroughMan and Zappa like this.
  22. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

According to a well connected Twitter guy who goes by “Incarcerated Bob” the way this went down was that he was contacted by a source with the Raiders, who indicated there was a “dispute” between her and Brown. He got word late in the week, September 7 at 2am, after he was cut by Browns but before Patriots signed him, from an unknown woman claiming it was a money grab.

She then decided to file a lawsuit, which was initiated Sep 10. https://haaslawpllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/1_Complaint.pdf

What's known regarding the accusations against Antonio Brown so far

Ironically, they met in 2010 in a bible study group.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 10:39 AM
  23. Pete85

Pete85

I agree. There is just so much about this that doesn't add up for it to be anything but a money grab. First and foremost, after the alleged first time, she went back to be in a one on one setting with him at least three additional times where she claims he raped her again, including going to and spending a night at his house. Next, she's filing a lawsuit instead of pressing charges. Lower burden of proof, and now that he's a Patriot there will definitely be people looking to stick it to him since outside of NE most people hate the Patriots so it might be easier to convince some people to rule in her favor (not saying that's how our court system should work, but let's be realistic). I don't think there really is any merit to these allegations.

24. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

It is a money grab. Read this:
    Report: Antonio Brown, accuser had settlement talks “for months”

The demands made by the accuser’s lawyers during settlement talks aren’t known; the clunky statement issued by Brown’s lawyer in the immediate aftermath of the filing of the lawsuit hinted at $1.6 million as the asking price. If that’s the opener, it quite likely could have been negotiated down to half of that or less. If that’s the bottom line, Brown may eventually wish he’d paid it.

While it may seem crass to consider allegations of sexual assault and rape in these terms, Brown’s accuser chose to make those allegations exclusively via a process that dispenses judgment through the transfer of money. The fact that settlement talks occurred for “months” before the lawsuit was filed underscores the reality that she decided to exercise her absolute right to attempt to obtain justice through the pursuit of financial compensation.

slugworth likes this.
  25. slugworth

slugworth

So far so good.....

26. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

I can't see the game live but I do get to listen to Zo on the radio! :rolleyes:

JayMcB and slugworth like this.
  27. T-Unit

T-Unit

Started out hot, AB got 3 catches, but since then the Pats can't find the endzone. Able to move the ball, but they can't complete drives. All I can figure is the heat is draining their energy fast.

Also, the Pats are very thin at O-Line. Even if he comes back and barely catches, Gronk would be a big help in blocking. Would be a smart move for the Pats to look at possible trades to get another good starting lineman in. They're gonna need him.

28. nastynatural

nastynatural NES Life Member NES Member

TD from #17. BOOM

slugworth likes this.
  29. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

How's them apples?!

Welder1 likes this.
  30. T-Unit

T-Unit

Gostkowski having a bad day. Maybe the humidity is affecting the kicks? Maybe some winds from Humberto?