• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 Steel Challenge @ Harvard Sportsmens Club

.22 pistols start from low ready. You need a bunch of magazines. The most common .22lr pistol used at steel challenge is probably a Ruger MKII with a red dot one power optic.

this is something i'd like to try also, .22 pistol. if i might ask....what are the more popular .22 pistols used in the sport? myself, i don't own a ruger .22 semi auto but do have an m&p compact .22 and that roche kart that i've had in the classified which i think might be good enough. i think that would work if starting position is low ready. and i search out a few more mags for it. any suggestions for a total steel newbie? i'm looking for a thread with info but not having any luck.
As M1911 said, probably a Ruger MKII/MKIII.

As M1911 said, probably a Ruger MKII/MKIII.
i'm thinking this as an alternative...
20180116_144119.jpg
(maybe) removing the sights, installing an optic and giving it a go. gun needs no work as it sits function wise, highly dependable & accurate with a nice trigger. just fishing around here. damn mags cost a fortune, colt ace, just ordered a couple clones this morning to check functioning before i go after more.

this is something i'd like to try also, .22 pistol. if i might ask....what are the more popular .22 pistols used in the sport? myself, i don't own a ruger .22 semi auto but do have an m&p compact .22 and that roche kart that i've had in the classified which i think might be good enough. i think that would work if starting position is low ready. and i search out a few more mags for it. any suggestions for a total steel newbie? i'm looking for a thread with info but not having any luck.

The most important thing is something reliable. Lots of 22's can be finicky and nothing is more frustrating than a gun that doesn't run. Lot's of people use ruger's (mkIII & 22/45's), 22LR converted 1911's, or S&W 617's. 5 mags is great, 3 in about the minimum. You can hand the used mag back to a squad member to top off.

I'm shooting an M&P .22 full size and have in the past. It's a hoot! Some use Rugers, some use S&W #41. Really doesn't matter. I believe the longest distance on one stage is 105 feet then 75 feet on another, the rest are 60' or less? Starting position is low ready. Come and try. As long as you're safe with your gun, the rest is all good.

OK folks, tomorrow's match is on, Bob the food vendor will be there and we'll have
canopies available if it starts to rain, looks like the majority of rain will be in the
late afternoon.

If anyone's an early riser Ramon will be there at 7 to put out the steel and brass tarps.

See you tomorrow !!

Hi guys, I really want to join in on the fun for the .22 steel challenge this summer. Is there a sign up sheet somewhere (can't find on HSC's site) or do you sign up at the event?

Since I'll be in the trailer syncing the nooks during the shooters meeting I'll give my pitch now. We all love shooting but all hate shooting in the rain. With the forecast calling for rain in the late morning we can minimize that by
  • getting there and registered on time (registration starts at 8:30 AM)
  • Shooters meeting at 9:15AM (I am going to cut off registration then, it takes a few minutes to double check the squads and sync the nooks)
  • First shots at 9:30AM sharp (or before if I get the nooks ready)
  • Come to the line with mags loaded ready to go. If you don't have enough mags designate someone to top off your mags. Give them your ammo and pass them your mag after your first string.
  • When the line is clear be ready to paint targets
  • Every minute we save per shooter gets multiplied by the number of shooters on the squad and the number of stages (6)
See everyone in the morning.

I cursed the weather gods when they called for rain and I made other plans, and then cursed them again when it was a sunny morning after all.
Sometimes I just can't win.

I cursed the weather gods when they called for rain and I made other plans, and then cursed them again when it was a sunny morning after all.
Sometimes I just can't win.

The forecast scared a lot of people away. We had a low turnout: only 23 shooters. My squad had a few sprinkles on the last few shooters of our last stage. One squad had one full stage in the rain.

As always, an awesome job of running the match and a day of fun with friends new and old. Thank you for making this happen.

Thank you to all of the production shooters that stayed away and let me win a division!!

Rand

Just an fyi folks, we will be trying 2 guns this weekend, we'll see how it goes and make a determination if it will continue.

I will post what I feel you will be limited to and when you'll shoot later tonight/tomorrow, if you have any other comments on this please see the other thread here; Shooting 2 Guns for Steel Challenge
(and sorry if ur just hearing about this now since I started the discussion in another thread)

Suffice to say you will be limited to the easiest way to do this, one holster, bagged & flagged, shoot one then ur other after everyone else,
no running back& forth to the safe areas.

Right now it's looking like we will also will have some visiting juniors form another so sharpen up those speed shooting skills.

That's it for now, stay tuned !!
I'm going to mow my lawn (dirt!)

Ok, for our 1st stab at 2 guns for one shooter on a squad I would like all shooters to shoot their 1st o
only gun before the 2 gunners shoot their 2nd gun, the nook folks will need to be on top of what gun the
shooter is shooting.

2 gunners will be limited to one holster per gun(s), if your 2 handguns use the same holster then that’s fine,
but you’ll need to be carrying your handguns in a case or two so you can switch them at the start of your run,
I don’t want folks running back and forth to the safe table switching guns.
You can also shoot 2 bagged guns like someone mentioned about RF rifles open and Iron types or a RF &
PCC or a RF rifle and RF pistol.

You’re all smart people, if YOU are confused about what YOU are going to shoot with the least amount of
problems then maybe you need to re-think your choices. If this slows down the match or I start getting
complaints about the 2gunners not pulling their weight then it’s back to 1 gun per shooter.

The cost will be an additional $10, if a junior (who shoots their 1st for gun free) shoots a 2nd gun they will be
charged $10 also.

For this match my plan is to sprinkle the 2 gunners over all the squads.

After signup we will probably need to re-write the squad listing, I’m still not sure how we will rotate the
shooters between squads so if you have suggestions let me know here or Sat. morning.

That's it, jeez I hope it works out !

Thanks mike and thanks dave for trying 2 Guns hope we can again next month
great time good people out shooting today
nice to see all the young competitors
There the future of our sport !!

Great day, great weather, hell of a good time! Many thanks to Dave, Mike, and the crew for another fun match.

Thanks to everyone that came out today and a BIG thank you to all that helped, especially those that tore down their
stages & piled them up, which I forgot to mention at the shooters meeting.

So far so good on 2 guns, we'll try it again next month unless I get a lot of comments against.

I'm tired, see you next month.

Just wanted to post here, the next match is still on the 21st, I told a few folks it was this
Sat. coming up but this month with the 1st being on a Sunday it kind of messed with my head.
Still the 3rd Sat of the month.

And don't forget, no match in August.

Back
Top Bottom