• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ONLY 1 LEFT 2018 OCSA Pembroke ma NEXT NOV 4th M1 Garand Clinic and Modern Military

2520 test today was one hit, one swing and a miss.

Load for the '03 was 39.0 gr 2520 pushing Nosler CC 155's. Kinda sucked- hits all over the 9 ring, not really hitting the 10. Dirty, and the recoil impulse felt a little 'off'. I noticed the case fill was lacking for this load. Anyway, worth a shot based on a recommendation from one of the best shooters I have met. I'll pull the rest of the rounds and load them with Varget for Sunday. PITA, but Pembroke is a long drive to show up half-assed. So much for that poo-say load.

Load for the K-31 was 37.0 gr 2520 and the same 155's. Case fill looked much better this time. Results were very good- on below target I walked in the shots from the upper right, then proceeded to hold the 10-ring and X-ring. Gusty and crappy light at my range, so target might look even better if I was shooting better:

AtUMvZQh.jpg

So the 2520 will be the go-to for the K-31. Semi-mild load. Still dirty, however. Might work OK for .308 but I'll stick with Varget for that.
I never heard about 2520 for light load. Until you mentioned it. I have not had time to get to the K31 I will try some 110s or cast loads for next vintage match . I really want to post a score with the K98 with 10 rapids on target and not in the berm

More of a mid than a light load. The 03 runs pretty good on a light 4198 and 110’s load, but even at 100 yds is lobbing them. I’d like to try at 200 before shooting in a match.

More of a mid than a light load. The 03 runs pretty good on a light 4198 and 110’s load, but even at 100 yds is lobbing them. I’d like to try at 200 before shooting in a match.
I managed to finish up the 35 cast loads for the 03a3. During my breaks from demo I loaded up some rounds. I'm about 2 hours my reloading room will be inaccessible due to some deconstruction in the basement.
If I have time for both matches I'm just running HXP in 06 M1 or if I can find enough odd ends left over from previous matches I will run those.
I will be thinning my rifle/handgun/ammo soon.

Anyone going tomorrow interested in 100 rounds of Chinese 762x54r $15/100?

Running the old LC Match in the M1. I might have something already loaded up for the 1917 that I'll just use in the '03.

How much of the Chinese do you have? I have only been shooting good stuff in my M39, but I have a semi-auto VEPR that eats plinking rounds. It's essentially an RPK, so cleaning corrosive residue is easy.

Tomorrow low 53, high 78. Forecast calling for OK morning but 80% chance of rain by 2pm and 96% by 3pm.

Good luck to everyone. A special good luck to Dakar652, who will miss this match to attend Shake-Weight Regionals. Pretty sure he's already a lock for Nationals...

edit- pic deleted for being more obnoxious than I can stand, LOL.

Last edited:
can we get umbrella girls?

I'm going to guess that 5 days out they still don't have a clue as to what the weather will be. As it turns out, I'm going to be missing this match anyway because my girlfriend bought tickets to Crossfit Regionals this weekend in Albany and just reminded me as I was loading my rounds for Sunday.

guess my attempt to make every match possible this year isn't getting off to a great start.
Ok everyone has their interest but I just read this thread again.
So are you saying your going to watch people do crossfit?
Man I don't know sounds about as fun as watching someone shoot.. Have fun see you next match
Just for the record. I would be beat and out of breath just driving out to albany:eek:

It's really my girlfriends 'thing'...I come for the booty shorts and stay for the beer.

images

It's not much more of a drive to Albany for me than it is to get to Pembroke. Watching crossfit girls squatting over and over again just does something for me (all that shake-weight training comes in 'handy'). If you guys would rather watch each other shoot, that's your business :D

It's really my girlfriends 'thing'...I come for the booty shorts and stay for the beer.

images

It's not much more of a drive to Albany for me than it is to get to Pembroke. Watching crossfit girls squatting over and over again just does something for me (all that shake-weight training comes in 'handy'). If you guys would rather watch each other shoot, that's your business :D
I hate watching people shoot, and if that girl with the keg can't keep the cold non foam beers coming the looks don't carry enough to matter:D

Just a shout out to a few first timers and newer shooters.
The 2 "new" shooters posted respectful and competing scores. Another shooter do 100% better this time vs last time.
I did not fair to well and left before seeing my off hand score in the Springfield match.
Glad to see new shooters and see new shooters do well!
Congrats and see you at the next match

Ended up being a very nice day. Rain held off until after the matches- I hit quite a downpour on the ride back home to the hinterlands.

Yep, nice shooting from the first time and new shooters.

What were the other scores for 1903? I'm assuming Mountain took Gold with that 285.

I checked Mac's because I knew he had to bail as soon as he finished shooting but don't recall the others. How'd you do?

Yes, gold for me. I really tanked in JCG offhand but slow and rapid were good enough to keep silver. Shooting still hit and miss but steadily improving. Would be fun to go to Camp Perry but I should be in Russia during that time. Next year...

Assuming I make the June OCSA match, I think I'll bring the poo-say gun this time.

Assuming I make the June OCSA match, I think I'll bring the poo-say gun this time.

wanna have our own little AK v. AR competition for funzies? i know you can out-shoot me if we play by the rules, but a handful of stone dust from the firing line would go a long way to ensuring my win with the kalishnikov...it would be very Red Army of me to do whatever the hell I want even with rules in place.

I checked Mac's because I knew he had to bail as soon as he finished shooting but don't recall the others. How'd you do?

Yes, gold for me. I really tanked in JCG offhand but slow and rapid were good enough to keep silver. Shooting still hit and miss but steadily improving. Would be fun to go to Camp Perry but I should be in Russia during that time. Next year...

I'm only bringing my AR as I have nothing loaded up for the 308M1

you dont need no pit service for AR.....heck my friend found the 10 ring that day with out pit service:eek:
I will run 55 grain IMI i have floating around somewhere.

Wish I could join you guys at the pussy gun fest; unfortunately I will be somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean during the next match.

you dont need no pit service for AR.....heck my friend found the 10 ring that day with out pit service:eek:
I will run 55 grain IMI i have floating around somewhere.

I'll put a 2" group in the black. No idea where- I won't see it until we walk down and score. Might be 5 sighters and 10 for score in the 9-ring, LOL.

Wish I could join you guys at the pussy gun fest; unfortunately I will be somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean during the next match.

I thought you were going to be somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, or was that last time? [smile]

Here's a preview of Dakar's AK:

50655d1f.jpg

Hey, at least I have a real USGI contour 20" barrel on my poo-say rye-full. I hear that people are not following that rule and going to a heavier barrel but in 16" to make weight.

I thought you were going to be somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, or was that last time? [smile]

Partially right... For the July match I will be somewhere between Tokyo and Kyoto...... Wish the timing was better for both trips.

Partially right... For the July match I will be somewhere between Tokyo and Kyoto...... Wish the timing was better for both trips.

Be sure not to miss the Kiyomizu-dera temple when in Kyoto. If you have to make choices of what to see / what to miss, don't miss Kiyomizu. :D

OK, cleared the 6/10 date with the wife and kids so I'm finally going to make my first (ever) event.

CMP M1 Special won't be here by then but I'll bring the M1A (and/or shoot a loaner M1?).

Looking forward to learning the ropes!

OK, cleared the 6/10 date with the wife and kids so I'm finally going to make my first (ever) event.

CMP M1 Special won't be here by then but I'll bring the M1A (and/or shoot a loaner M1?).

Looking forward to learning the ropes!

Great!

M1A is good to go for the Modern Military class. You will get props for bringing an adult's rifle rather than the kid's rifles some of us will bring [laugh]. You have a web sling for that? They work pretty good, are cheap, and are easy to deal with. Though I use a leather sling on my Highpower AR, I always use a web sling on my Modern Military AR.

The club M1 rifles look like they have 'been there done that' but are excellent shooters and have been accurized by a skilled armorer. You'll need to shoot the club 'HXP' surplus ammo which is relatively cheap and works well. The brass is good, so either save it or donate to one of us scavengers. Club rifles have leather slings that are broken in nicely and work well.

But... Be careful- it can be addictive. I showed up for one of mac1911's karmas and have been hooked ever since.:D

I'll put a 2" group in the black. No idea where- I won't see it until we walk down and score. Might be 5 sighters and 10 for score in the 9-ring, LOL.

Here's a preview of Dakar's AK:

50655d1f.jpg

Hey, at least I have a real USGI contour 20" barrel on my poo-say rye-full. I hear that people are not following that rule and going to a heavier barrel but in 16" to make weight.
i like the AK in pink.
My AR is just a RRA a2 nothing special
Great!

M1A is good to go for the Modern Military class. You will get props for bringing an adult's rifle rather than the kid's rifles some of us will bring [laugh]. You have a web sling for that? They work pretty good, are cheap, and are easy to deal with. Though I use a leather sling on my Highpower AR, I always use a web sling on my Modern Military AR.

The club M1 rifles look like they have 'been there done that' but are excellent shooters and have been accurized by a skilled armorer. You'll need to shoot the club 'HXP' surplus ammo which is relatively cheap and works well. The brass is good, so either save it or donate to one of us scavengers. Club rifles have leather slings that are broken in nicely and work well.

But... Be careful- it can be addictive. I showed up for one of mac1911's karmas and have been hooked ever since.:D
I will be running HXP on the 10th in the M1 unless I get some serious progress on the basement
I'm trying to get something together for the 308 M1 if not it's M193 for the A2

I think I'll load up some Nosler 168 blems for M1. .308 M1 is tempting but I have enough leftover .223's so I'll just stick with the mouse fart rifle.

Back
Top Bottom