ONLY 1 LEFT 2018 OCSA Pembroke ma NEXT NOV 4th M1 Garand Clinic and Modern Military

I hear those things are put on with copious amounts of torque...almost to the point that i'm not sure i'd trust myself to try it. i think i read somewhere recently that CMP will screw on a new barrel for you at a match if they have time (hah...sort of a pun)

Does it look like there's been material removed from the shoulder of the barrel? I would shoot criterion an email at the very least and see what kind of response you get. Who knows, maybe it's a defect in workmanship on their part?

So if i get the gall to get my barrel off, I'll let you know and we can test fit yours to mine. i think you're supposed to be somewhere between 8-15 degrees behind time in order to get the correct amount of torque to keep it tight while shooting.

@Dakar652 - The barrel came loose while I was shooting it and ultimately I could spin the barrel off by hand. The barrel will line up to the timing marks when it's hand tight, but there should be some draw. What could have happened was the gunsmith who installed the barrel couldn't time it, so he may have shaved some metal off the shoulder. It looks like the receiver face is unmolested, so that's good (Option B would have been removing some metal from the face of the receiver to make the barrel time!!!) Franco said the guy could have loctited it, which finally let go after a season of shooting. If the barrel does time on your receiver, we can certainly work something out....
you can roll the shoulder of the barrel to regain some draw, I think you will be happier with a new barrel rather than the doubt creeping in try to use the old barrel. Keep it handy for a crusty bore project that needs some new life.
If your going to use Loctite you make sure to use the right stuff BUT Loctite is just not needed. I think the barrel probably timed a little to erly and the smith snugged it up just enough to make it "tight" with out tossing the sights off line.

You can even use a ballpeen hammer and a anvil to work the shoulder of the barrel to "push" material down and forward to gain draw. This is what I would do for a shooter in need of a barrel.

Last edited:
Getting a bit ahead of the match this month, but spent some of my vacation day to empty out some more 7.5 Swiss brass to experiment with reduced loads for the K31. Already have plenty of '06 brass for the 1917 and of course the '03 that will be shot on 5/20.

DWhGoGUh.jpg

G94dnXLh.jpg

iIswHh5h.jpg

Not to bad for tired eyes and non-match PPU on a dark and gusty morning. 107-4X, 11 shots. Crystal clear, sunny, and the wind is not as bad right now- go figure. First shot at 12:00 high was a sighter. Other two shots at edge of 9 ring were my screw ups, not the rifle. Trigger break is excellent, but the pull is-a too f-ing heavy. Need to see what can be done about that.

I've had this one at the back of the safe for a while- haven't touched it much since installing a taller front sight. Barrel and receiver matching, otherwise pretty much a mixmaster. Shutzenfest stickers from the mid 90's and an ID sticker for the owner that was shooting matches with it. Haven't checked for a troop tag yet.

Will need to decide if I shoot the 1917 or the K31 at the next OCSA vintage match. Probably ought to get working on my loads for the '03 since that's coming up next.

edit- Does have a troop tag. Same guy as on the Shutzenfest stickers.

Last edited:
Cool
Getting a bit ahead of the match this month, but spent some of my vacation day to empty out some more 7.5 Swiss brass to experiment with reduced loads for the K31. Already have plenty of '06 brass for the 1917 and of course the '03 that will be shot on 5/20.

DWhGoGUh.jpg

G94dnXLh.jpg

iIswHh5h.jpg

Not to bad for tired eyes and non-match PPU on a dark and gusty morning. 107-4X, 11 shots. Crystal clear, sunny, and the wind is not as bad right now- go figure. First shot at 12:00 high was a sighter. Other two shots at edge of 9 ring were my screw ups, not the rifle. Trigger break is excellent, but the pull is-a too f-ing heavy. Need to see what can be done about that.

I've had this one at the back of the safe for a while- haven't touched it much since installing a taller front sight. Barrel and receiver matching, otherwise pretty much a mixmaster. Shutzenfest stickers from the mid 90's and an ID sticker for the owner that was shooting matches with it. Haven't checked for a troop tag yet.

Will need to decide if I shoot the 1917 or the K31 at the next OCSA vintage match. Probably ought to get working on my loads for the '03 since that's coming up next.

edit- Does have a troop tag. Same guy as on the Shutzenfest stickers.
Cool, I'm not sure what I am shooting for vintage I may just shoot the Enfield and some HXP 303 . Not a winning combo but she deserves a match or 2 every once in a while.
I hope to have enough cast 06 by next week as I'm about to loose my reloading space for several weeks due to some home improvements.
Maybe I will run some light 110s in the 1903a3 of some real cream puffs with the 155s if I don't get the lead out.

Cool

Cool, I'm not sure what I am shooting for vintage I may just shoot the Enfield and some HXP 303 . Not a winning combo but she deserves a match or 2 every once in a while.
I hope to have enough cast 06 by next week as I'm about to loose my reloading space for several weeks due to some home improvements.
Maybe I will run some light 110s in the 1903a3 of some real cream puffs with the 155s if I don't get the lead out.

When's the last time you ran cast? I should probably try the Ranch Dogs in one of mine. It's hard to cast the hollow points correctly, but I have a hot plate now so that should help. At the least, I'll be running a semi-cream puff with 155's in the Springfield.

When's the last time you ran cast? I should probably try the Ranch Dogs in one of mine. It's hard to cast the hollow points correctly, but I have a hot plate now so that should help. At the least, I'll be running a semi-cream puff with 155's in the Springfield.
I have been running cast in the A3 since I got it. I will eventually have a cast load for the K31 also. I have a cast load for the 303 and 54r and 8MM also. I might do 8MM also(as a little self redemption from last match with it) as I didn't notice I had knocked my rear sight down last time and put a gopher hole in the berm on rapids !!!

I have been running cast in the A3 since I got it. I will eventually have a cast load for the K31 also. I have a cast load for the 303 and 54r and 8MM also. I might do 8MM also(as a little self redemption from last match with it) as I didn't notice I had knocked my rear sight down last time and put a gopher hole in the berm on rapids !!!

What powder ya runnin?

Thanks- pretty sure I have some 4895.
I have not had time to put H4895 over crony or solid testing.
It's versatile for sure. Find load data for H4895 and your bullet and weight (I use weight for cast) look at the max published powder charge weight for for H 4895 multiply that by .60 and that's your minimum charge. Most of my loads are in the 28-32 grain range.

can we get umbrella girls?

I'm going to guess that 5 days out they still don't have a clue as to what the weather will be. As it turns out, I'm going to be missing this match anyway because my girlfriend bought tickets to Crossfit Regionals this weekend in Albany and just reminded me as I was loading my rounds for Sunday.

guess my attempt to make every match possible this year isn't getting off to a great start.

I'm going to guess that 5 days out they still don't have a clue as to what the weather will be. As it turns out, I'm going to be missing this match anyway because my girlfriend bought tickets to Crossfit Regionals this weekend in Albany and just reminded me as I was loading my rounds for Sunday.

guess my attempt to make every match possible this year isn't getting off to a great start.

Having a girlfriend who is into crossfit seems worth some concessions.

she can take a girl friend to cross fit

What's the plan for the match if it rains?
i dont know usually its just cancelled as no one shows up except me and franco. I know i will be there and i will find something to do even if its a nap in the rifle house for 4 hours

i dont know usually its just cancelled as no one shows up except me and franco. I know i will be there and i will find something to do even if its a nap in the rifle house for 4 hours

LOL. Maybe I'll do the same and just be someone's guest to shoot from a covered position. I'd get my CMP Special wet, but not the '03 NM. Forecast right now only calling for PM showers, and barely any accumulation.

I am planning on being there unless it's really bad. We've shot from inside the house when it was really hot once so the same could be done for rain? I guess the only thing would be if there was too much rain the targets might be hard to see/score or may fall apart?

I showed up to Reading last weekend and ended up at the 600 yard line as the rain started to pick up. The garbage bag is covering my ammo and data book.

View: https://i.imgur.com/YV1Yo0q.jpg

I am planning on being there unless it's really bad. We've shot from inside the house when it was really hot once so the same could be done for rain? I guess the only thing would be if there was too much rain the targets might be hard to see/score or may fall apart?

I showed up to Reading last weekend and ended up at the 600 yard line as the rain started to pick up. The garbage bag is covering my ammo and data book.

View: https://i.imgur.com/YV1Yo0q.jpg

the targets do fall apart and the pasters dont stick,

Wet? More concerned about my rye-fulls than me, at least the '03. Garand can get soaked. Probably not that bad on Sunday.

2520 test today was one hit, one swing and a miss.

Load for the '03 was 39.0 gr 2520 pushing Nosler CC 155's. Kinda sucked- hits all over the 9 ring, not really hitting the 10. Dirty, and the recoil impulse felt a little 'off'. I noticed the case fill was lacking for this load. Anyway, worth a shot based on a recommendation from one of the best shooters I have met. I'll pull the rest of the rounds and load them with Varget for Sunday. PITA, but Pembroke is a long drive to show up half-assed. So much for that poo-say load.

Load for the K-31 was 37.0 gr 2520 and the same 155's. Case fill looked much better this time. Results were very good- on below target I walked in the shots from the upper right, then proceeded to hold the 10-ring and X-ring. Gusty and crappy light at my range, so target might look even better if I was shooting better:

AtUMvZQh.jpg

So the 2520 will be the go-to for the K-31. Semi-mild load. Still dirty, however. Might work OK for .308 but I'll stick with Varget for that.

Wet? More concerned about my rye-fulls than me, at least the '03. Garand can get soaked. Probably not that bad on Sunday.
I don’t own any gun that’s worried about rain. I might not bring a 1903 NM out , well I might.

Back
Top Bottom