2018 Boston Red Sox

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I couldn't find a thread so of course I started one!

I don't have the MLB package but they replay the spring games the next day. Today felt completely like Spring as it was warm and sunny all day and I got to watch a spring training game this afternoon!

I'm hoping I get to see some games this year as they happen.

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Have had a chance to listen to a few games - always puts me in the spring spirt.

Look forward to seeing how JD Martinez fits into the team - having his bat will be great.

Heard Steven Wright might be delayed until May at some point.
E-Rod probably won't be back until that time as well.

I think biggest concern for the Sox will continue to be pitching

I am confident Sale will have a good year
Hard to say if Price or Porcello will step up and pitch like the #2 an #3 pitchers they are being paid for
I think Pomeranz will have a good year at 12-15 wins - he was looking pretty good last year

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Opening day is here!

Spring becomes more of a reality with the first pitch

Sale is looking pretty good so far (see how his hip does) and some good hitting by the sox including an inside the park homerun by Nunez

ETA - Sale 8 or 9 KO, no runs over 7 innings - continuing where he left off last season

Last edited:

bigpick

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there some reason Cora went with Kelly in the 8th instead of Smith? Is Kelly the set up guy this year? First game and a second guess already, welcome to managing in Boston.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Red Sox unravel in 8th inning on Opening Day

The short version: 6 innings by Sale and a 4-0 lead for the Sox through 7 innings.

But on came Joe Kelly in the bottom of the eighth, and then Carson Smith, and it all fell apart.

With a four-run lead, Kelly walked the first batter he faced, Daniel Robertson. After a strikeout of Rob Refsnyder, Kelly allowed an RBI double to Matt Duffy. It still seemed the Red Sox were in good shape, up 4-1 and in need of just five outs. But Kelly didn't get any more. He walked Kevin Kiermaier and Carlos Gomez to load the bases with one out, and that was the end of his outing.

Smith came in but, like Kelly, had trouble locating the strike zone, as he walked Brad Miller to force in a run. Then came the game-breaking hit, as Span smashed a three-run triple to right to put the Rays up, 6-4.

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Price - 7 innings with only 75 pitches - that's pretty impressive overall

I think Devers has brought in 3 of the 5 RBIs between the last two games

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
It's only two games. Sale and Price looked good. Matt Barnes has looked good in two outings. Kimbrel was lights out in one outing. The hitters are making good contact, the home runs will come in time.

Bogaerts looks more comfortable at the plate. This is the make or break year for JBJ. If he can't hit at .250 or better, he's not going to be on the team that long. Fielding does not seem to be a problem anywhere and Vazquez looks good.

Things of concern, at least to me. The bullpen and base running. We still don't know if Cora is a big league manager or not, but we will soon enough.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don't get the games here but actually did yesterday. was out so I recorded it and will try and watch it this evening.

Top Bottom