• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 acorn mast

whacko

NES Member
Oaks in my area are starting to drop! So far the mast seems mediocre size but should be plentiful. Last season the woods were so full of large mast it was like walking on gravel during small game season. Could turn an ankle on the acorns last season they were so large .

Maybe less of a crop of acorns this year?

I've heard that the trees drop in cycles to prevent a constant population of animals that eat the nuts.

The trees will drop tons for a couple years, and life will be great for the animals. Then the tree won't drop much, leading to starvation and death, with a smaller population surviving. Then when you've got the small populations, you'll get so much mast that the animals can't eat it all, ensuring that something manages to grow.

Of all the reasons for heavy mast / light mast I find this one the easiest to believe.

I like the lighter mast, as it means more movement for food and a better chance to score.

I've not seen many hay-corns in 3 years since we cut all the oaks in the yard down. Gosh I hated those things!

The weather certainly portends a small-nut heavy harvest. A good Spring followed by a fairly dry Summer.

Another bumper crop dropping in zone 4S. During primitive firearms season last winter, I discovered many patches of them dug up through the snow. Seemed the deer were migrating from patch to patch within a few miles, and were bedding in a central location.

Back
Top Bottom