2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

At 41F, not cold enough to qualify....but windy and cold enough.

After some practice, 10 rounds of Remington .38 special 130gr FMJ/SWC. 50 feet on a 50 foot target. Pedestrian 81. Probably my favorite gun...1943 Victory/Navy. Shipped to Oakland, CA, from S/W on July 9 that year.

t

Attachments

• IMG_5886.jpg
    IMG_5886.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
There always has to be flyer, doesn't there?

Here's a pic of one of my most notorious flyers. 25 yards probably. My son has the Winchester I just got back in trade. You can see the cut on my forehead from flying brass....lefty curse.

t

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
There always has to be flyer, doesn't there?

Here's a pic of one of my most notorious flyers. 25 yards probably. My son has the Winchester I just got back in trade. You can see the cut on my forehead from flying brass....lefty curse.

t
You must be spoiled with righty blood in your vines. True lefty shells just go around all matrix style.

One nice thing about the FN P90 is that it ejects downward for everyone's shooting pleasure. I definitely couldn't get used to the trigger though, and it's certainly not Winter Warrior eligible :D. As a leftie I've usually avoided brass issues but end up with one on my neck or top of my head every now and then.

I'm going to have to modify my yearly tradition of shooting after the company Christmas party as the PD has my MA club that day. Might go to Pelham instead if I can beat the dark. Last year it was snowing hard and I went prone with my CMP Special, and it was just a great experience in the driving snow, and I had the range to myself.

Next week, all things cooperating, going to attempt my first entries with the 91/30 and the 1917.

Target 1 - 71 Target 2 - 74

JAP ATTACK!

THIS JUST IN, JAPANESE RIFLE TARGETS INNOCENT PIECE OF PAPER AND DEVASTATES THE OUTER CIRCLES BELOW THE BULLSEYE ON THIS DEC. 7, 2018!

Yes, in honor of Pearl Harbor Day I decided to switch it up a bit and break out the Arisaka Type 99 with my 124gr Varmageddon Nosler CC's loaded in PPU 30-06 necked down cases with 43gr's IMR 4895.

As much of a sucker punch as Pearl Harbor was, I feel the Japanese were a very worthy adversary and they put up one hell of a fight on their home turf. I have a lot of respect for their warrior spirit and culture, and also their craftsmanship. Here I present a Toyo Kogyo early 33 Series Type 99 with full mum and all MOST of the fixins before they started really cutting corners on these things. As some may know, the arsenal is within Hiroshima city limits and the building still stands today as it was protected from the nuclear blast by a geographic land feature. The factory became a hospital post nuclear attack and rifle production ceased.

IMG_1746.jpg IMG_1749.jpg IMG_1748.jpg IMG_1747.jpg IMG_1755.jpg

First shots came in a little low, but still a pretty decent grouping for the light I had to work with.

IMG_1745.jpg IMG_1752.jpg IMG_1753.jpg

Second round I even tried to adjust my hold, but the lighting got so poor around 4:15 that I guess it didn't do me much good. Looks like I accidentally hit the 10 ring though to finish out with a 74!

IMG_1754.jpg IMG_1756.jpg IMG_1757.jpg

Here's my reloads and an average of about 10 trigger pulls I took last night while I was prepping my gear

IMG_1750.jpg IMG_1744.jpg IMG_1751.jpg

And one screen shot on my way out of the range for qualifying temperature

IMG_1758.PNG

It felt damn colder than 28 though! Sheesh. I might have to start wearing more than office clothes to participate in this if the trend continues.

I have to take the weekend off so I can go play with the Marines in CT...nothing fun this weekend though.

Have a good weekend, warriors!

Last edited:
I'm busy tomorrow, including delivery of the Enfield and bSw. Will go out Sunday. Everything is in such a flux I have to think before I shoot; is this rifle sold, or not?

Maybe I'll have a last fling with the Smith-Corona.

t

JAP ATTACK!

THIS JUST IN, JAPANESE RIFLE TARGETS INNOCENT PIECE OF PAPER AND DEVASTATES THE OUTER CIRCLES BELOW THE BULLSEYE ON THIS DEC. 7, 2018!

Yes, in honor of Pearl Harbor Day I decided to switch it up a bit and break out the Arisaka Type 99 with my 124gr Varmageddon Nosler CC's loaded in PPU 30-06 necked down cases with 43gr's IMR 4895.

As much of a sucker punch as Pearl Harbor was, I feel the Japanese were a very worthy adversary and they put up one hell of a fight on their home turf. I have a lot of respect for their warrior spirit and culture, and also their craftsmanship. Here I present a Toyo Kogyo early 33 Series Type 99 with full mum and all MOST of the fixins before they started really cutting corners on these things. As some may know, the arsenal is within Hiroshima city limits and the building still stands today as it was protected from the nuclear blast by a geographic land feature. The factory became a hospital post nuclear attack and rifle production ceased.

View attachment 258058 View attachment 258068 View attachment 258069 View attachment 258070 View attachment 258062

First shots came in a little low, but still a pretty decent grouping for the light I had to work with.

View attachment 258072 View attachment 258065 View attachment 258064

Second round I even tried to adjust my hold, but the lighting got so poor around 4:15 that I guess it didn't do me much good. Looks like I accidentally hit the 10 ring though to finish out with a 74!

View attachment 258063 View attachment 258061 View attachment 258060

Here's my reloads and an average of about 10 trigger pulls I took last night while I was prepping my gear

View attachment 258067 View attachment 258073 View attachment 258066

View attachment 258059

It felt damn colder than 28 though! Sheesh. I might have to start wearing more than office clothes to participate in this if the trend continues.

I have to take the weekend off so I can go play with the Marines in CT...nothing fun this weekend though.

Very nice Arisaka. But look at the young guy complaining about light, LOL! What you see at dusk is what the seniors see at high noon, IF we are taking our Geritol. Kidding aside, very nice post and looks like that rifle has some potential to hold the black.

Gramps was a SSgt in the 32nd Infantry Division in WWII and fought the Japanese in the Philippines from at least the Leyte campaign through the early occupation. He had a decent amount of respect for the Japanese soldiers, though of course he had a problem with their treatment of prisoners. Said you'd really have to surprise the Japs with overwhelming force if you wanted to capture any. He said that it was true that they really would fight to the death or punch their own ticket rather than be caught. I don't know about earlier, but during the Luzon campaign his division killed almost 3000 Japs (pretty good payback for Pearl Harbor) and only captured a couple hundred.

During the occupation he actually had a nice time in Japan and had zero trouble from the locals. My brother has the Arisaka he brought back. I have something interesting that I'll need to dig out from the back of the safe and post some pics.

I'm busy tomorrow, including delivery of the Enfield and bSw. Will go out Sunday. Everything is in such a flux I have to think before I shoot; is this rifle sold, or not?

Maybe I'll have a last fling with the Smith-Corona.

t

I've been dreaming about that rifle since you posted the ad. I really want to see how she shoots!

Very nice Arisaka. But look at the young guy complaining about light, LOL! What you see at dusk is what the seniors see at high noon, IF we are taking our Geritol. Kidding aside, very nice post and looks like that rifle has some potential to hold the black.

Gramps was a SSgt in the 32nd Infantry Division in WWII and fought the Japanese in the Philippines from at least the Leyte campaign through the early occupation. He had a decent amount of respect for the Japanese soldiers, though of course he had a problem with their treatment of prisoners. Said you'd really have to surprise the Japs with overwhelming force if you wanted to capture any. He said that it was true that they really would fight to the death or punch their own ticket rather than be caught. I don't know about earlier, but during the Luzon campaign his division killed almost 3000 Japs (pretty good payback for Pearl Harbor) and only captured a couple hundred.

During the occupation he actually had a nice time in Japan and had zero trouble from the locals. My brother has the Arisaka he brought back. I have something interesting that I'll need to dig out from the back of the safe and post some pics.

If you're talking about the bayonet you mentioned to me at some point...YES PLEASE!!! :D

I want to know more about these rifles and their bayonets...best way to learn is by seeing examples of them.

JAP ATTACK!

View attachment 258058 View attachment 258068 View attachment 258069 View attachment 258070 View attachment 258062

View attachment 258059

Did nosler have a special run on varmageddon? Did not know they ran .311" ?

my grand mother once showed me some pictures her sisiter in Great Britain sent over when she came across them in a move. It was a nephew or cousin ? I remeber the pictures well.
barges piled high with guns and ammo. His job was to push them off with the small dozer.
On one picture there was some hard to read writing . My dad at the time had a super cool magnifier and was able to make out that after a while they just started sinking the barges and old boats and he was being re asigned . My grandmother said she did not know him well only that he died in the late 50s in Kenya. When my great aunt came over from GB in early 90s she said he was shot in kenya and later died of infection.

So looks like Nosler is in on the same game as Hornady regarding special runs of .310 - .312" projectiles.

Dakar, could you PM where you found those .311's? I've already posted how the Hornady 150 SST's are only available from Graf's, who are a bunch of wussies and won't ship to Heil Healy's fiefdom.

So looks like Nosler is in on the same game as Hornady regarding special runs of .310 - .312" projectiles.

Dakar, could you PM where you found those .311's? I've already posted how the Hornady 150 SST's are only available from Graf's, who are a bunch of wussies and won't ship to Heil Healy's fiefdom.
Grafs stopping shipping many many years ago.

I think today qualifies on both counts. Last fling with the Smith-Corona. Only negative about the A3 to me is single blade front sight.

20 rounds HXP, 74-82. Practiced on the left, but all still hit. 81 left, 90 right 1-X, 3-10

Seemed to drift high left both times.

t

Attachments

• 672500AD-AD09-410B-BC79-A4230C34A2E8.jpeg
    672500AD-AD09-410B-BC79-A4230C34A2E8.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 5702DEC2-F241-48C2-99BD-E7ACD269375F.jpeg
    5702DEC2-F241-48C2-99BD-E7ACD269375F.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 13
  • B7AC98DC-CA2E-4131-BD1D-32AE9C370978.jpeg
    B7AC98DC-CA2E-4131-BD1D-32AE9C370978.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 15
I think today qualifies on both counts. Last fling with the Smith-Corona. Only negative about the A3 to me is single blade front sight.

20 rounds HXP, 74-82. Practiced on the left, but all still hit. 81 left, 90 right 1-X, 3-10

Seemed to drift high left both times.

t

Nice shooting, especially with late HXP in the mix.

Would have been a great day for me to shoot, but our club has an all day special bird hunt so the range is closed. :(

A brief word from our sponsor, me:

To help me keep track of entries and sort out which targets are submitted for an entry and which are posted for entertainment value, please include your score within the text of your post. For example, 90-2X. Dakar- it's OK to ask for help if you run out of fingers and toes to count your score. :D

Reminder that the official targets for score are:
For rifle the SR-1 at 100 yards or SR at 200 yards
For pistol the B-8 at 25 yards.

Not B3 at 50 feet?

Counted the brass for the hell of it:

82: 6
78: 7
77: 3
76: 3
TW52: 1...what the hell?

Maybe the '31 RIA/Springfield M03 Hybrid next time for comparison.

t

Last edited:
JAP ATTACK!

View attachment 258059

Very nice. I've been close to acquiring an Arisaka a couple of times, but each time something went awry. Definitely on the list though.
I'm going with the Eddystone today, but I suspect it'll be just over freezing and thus ineligible. Planning on taking the Mosin on Friday, but it'll definitely be too warm.

Maybe I can "cheat" if the plows made a nice pile somewhere on the grounds.

As an aside, does anyone happen to have/use a Hornady 30 cal neck sizer? I picked one up last week to use for the M1917 (and Mosin possibly if in a pinch and needing to use 308 instead of 312), but the directions seem a bit confusing. Just curious.

I put Luigi back into his Winchester stock to see if the stock made a difference. I have to a little work on the retaining pin as it slips and the hand guard falls off. I tightened the screw all the way and it stayed on.

Not quite cold enough, 34F, but windy and snow still on the ground, so we’re good to go. Besides it’s colder in the “hollers”.

Two tries of 15 on a 50 foot target at 75 feet...nice.

Went to a hundred...after a 9 test shot I shot both targets. Should have checked as I was creeping up. Instead of keeping the front post below the black, it was in the black. So a 58-1, and a 57. Know I can do better.

Oh, I think it’s name is Louie now[smile]

Got a new pouch that just slipped on, even with magazines in it.

t

Attachments

• 806C2435-1AF2-42DE-89CD-FA296C28DD2E.jpeg
    806C2435-1AF2-42DE-89CD-FA296C28DD2E.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 672A0B8E-2A85-49C9-9565-0405AA59EB11.jpeg
    672A0B8E-2A85-49C9-9565-0405AA59EB11.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 5
  • E7ACCB5D-FA51-42F7-9640-CE571733A44F.jpeg
    E7ACCB5D-FA51-42F7-9640-CE571733A44F.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 5
  • EFDD9CD7-73A9-43C0-B4E0-81A49141D9C9.jpeg
    EFDD9CD7-73A9-43C0-B4E0-81A49141D9C9.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 9CA67B48-8E91-4A37-B7B7-A19575964A03.jpeg
    9CA67B48-8E91-4A37-B7B7-A19575964A03.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5926.jpg
    IMG_5926.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 3
Not B3 at 50 feet?

Counted the brass for the hell of it:

82: 6
78: 7
77: 3
76: 3
TW52: 1...what the hell?

Maybe the '31 RIA/Springfield M03 Hybrid next time for comparison.

t

Whoops, late on the reply. Yeah- B3 at 50 feet is OK if you need to adjust for your range configuration.

Really it's all about getting us off the couch and grabbing a milsurp of some type to take out to the range during the New England winter. I figure anyone can have a postal match, but only WE can have a bonafide winter warrior match. Well, maybe those guys in Alaska...

My first entries for this year's contest. This was my second time shooting the M1917 Eddystone I acquired from MajSpud. Beautiful day for shooting and the first time in a long time I had the range to myself.

1917.jpg

The temperature was above freezing, but there was still snow, albeit very little of it, at the range:
snow.jpg

But, I realized when I got to the range I had forgotten the spotting scope. Thankfully I was the only one there today so I was able to use my patented "take a few shots, run down, inspect, run back, repeat" method. All told I logged 3/4 a mile jogging.

The first time out I shot the FN 57 surplus I picked up almost two years ago and wrote about here. At 100 yards, it was actually quite low, for whatever reason.

This time I shot reloads using 168gr BT with Accurate 2495 which, unlike the Accurate 2520 that gave me problems with 8mm Mauser loads as chronicled in the Reloading subforum, is an extruded powder. I have to say it burned very cleanly and I was pretty pleased with it. I'm glad I got three lbs of this and not the 2520.

On the first target, I started a bit high and left before settling down.
target1.jpg
I don't think I've ever had so many "edge" hits but they were in my favor this time, just barely.
Finished with a 91-1x.

On the second target I was starting to run out of time.
target2.jpg
For whatever reason it looks a little better to my eyes but the two low shots resulted in an identical 91-1x score.

fun.jpg
Did I mention how much I like 30-06?

I am enjoying the rifle a lot. It is very pleasant to shoot and the sights work better for my eyes than the tangent and post variety.

I still have under 100 rounds through it, so I will shoot it some more before deciding if I want to adjust the sights at all.
1917-2.jpg

I purchased a Hornady 30cal neck sizer so whenever I can figure it out, I've separated the 1917 brass from my other 30-06 brass to see if I get any improved accuracy.

1917-3.jpg

Nice to get my first two match targets under my belt, I have 7.62x54R rounds done up, probably for Friday. But with highs projected in the 40s, the last specks of snow might be gone.

I’ll get out there at some point. Last few weeks have been nothing but deer hunting on my days off except Sunday which is family time.
I’m thinking I may shoot something besides the AR for an official entry in this. It’s just too easy with that rifle it’s kind of cheating. I’ll shoot 40 rounds through it regardless just to post up what it can do but it won’t be my submission.
I may have to finally get started on loading up .308 for my Garand and FAL. Pretty sure I’m almost out of factory stuff and I can’t afford to go buy 1000 rounds of .308 right now. Who am I kidding I’ve got a 15 month old and another on the way ETA: late May, so I’m not buying 1000 rounds of anything anytime soon. :D

I’ll get out there at some point. Last few weeks have been nothing but deer hunting on my days off except Sunday which is family time.
I’m thinking I may shoot something besides the AR for an official entry in this. It’s just too easy with that rifle it’s kind of cheating. I’ll shoot 40 rounds through it regardless just to post up what it can do but it won’t be my submission.
I may have to finally get started on loading up .308 for my Garand and FAL. Pretty sure I’m almost out of factory stuff and I can’t afford to go buy 1000 rounds of .308 right now. Who am I kidding I’ve got a 15 month old and another on the way ETA: late May, so I’m not buying 1000 rounds of anything anytime soon. :D
Yes you are, 1000 rounds of diapers.

Back
Top Bottom