• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

No WE allowed you pistol folks to play in our rifle games.[devil2]

Exactly. Just trying to be a little more inclusive and have a pistol division. Actually, as a sideshow it will be interesting to see if a rifle on the SR-1 or a pistol on the B-8 will get the highest score.

Let's keep it on the B-8 at 25 yards for 'official' score, but NRA 50 at 50' ok for fun and for the random entry. Fair enough? Yes, the pistol B-8 at 25 yards is quite challenging but at least an equal challenge (or more) than shooting the rifle SR-1 at 100 yards.

And for the record, this type of 1911 is NOT milsurp / milsurp clone legal for the match:

Tan.4.jpg

YES
to this:

1954.jpg

I think Dakar has one that looks like this:

gg.png

Technically it's OK for this match. It's definitely a war milsurp pistol. The drug war!

Exactly. Just trying to be a little more inclusive and have a pistol division. Actually, as a sideshow it will be interesting to see if a rifle on the SR-1 or a pistol on the B-8 will get the highest score.

Let's keep it on the B-8 at 25 yards for 'official' score, but NRA 50 at 50' ok for fun and for the random entry. Fair enough? Yes, the pistol B-8 at 25 yards is quite challenging but at least an equal challenge (or more) than shooting the rifle SR-1 at 100 yards.

And for the record, this type of 1911 is NOT milsurp / milsurp clone legal for the match:

Tan.4.jpg

YES
to this:

1954.jpg
The B-2 is the correct target for 50’ feet

My Winchester carbine at 25 yards, SR1 target, 1 magazine. Does this count as pistol?

t

Attachments

• 82D54B33-E649-4903-A725-03DDE0F4055C.jpeg
    82D54B33-E649-4903-A725-03DDE0F4055C.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 9
My Winchester carbine at 25 yards, SR1 target, 1 magazine. Does this count as pistol?

t

[banghead]

OK, now you are just being difficult, LOL.

[smile]

I have heard the carbines are not particularly accurate. I have not shot one in about 28 years.

Pic didn’t go through. Accurate enough[smile]

There was snow on the ground. Rapid fire, off hand, my version of carbine sling but sitting at the bench.

T

Attachments

• 7DA6ED40-8FCC-457D-BBAA-C57EA873D862.jpeg
    7DA6ED40-8FCC-457D-BBAA-C57EA873D862.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 82D54B33-E649-4903-A725-03DDE0F4055C.jpeg
    82D54B33-E649-4903-A725-03DDE0F4055C.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Aguila FMJRN ammo; 1990fps and 926ft/lbs. Enough to ruin your day. Given all my physical limitations now, if the zombies came down the street tomorrow, I’d have one of these with me. Hornady SD FJX hollow points do catastrophic damage to pumpkins (2000/977).

t

Last edited:
Brian - please do that funny thing you do with the computer program and the dotted lines for MOA.

The Hornady ammo...

t

Attachments

• IMG_5778.jpg
    IMG_5778.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 11
Target 1 - 36 Target 2 - 67

Round 2...The Moistened Nugget.

115565B4-F148-4140-89A4-58139F5E2FEF.jpeg

Here we have my very first Mosin 91/30. Paid the hearty sum of $89+shipping from a ‘classic’ vendor on my first ‘Black Friday’ as a gun owner/milsurp enthusiast.

76D9A550-46C5-43ED-ACA1-2A5C0F98940E.jpeg

She’s a 1942 commie rifle and that’s all I know. To be perfectly honest I don’t even know which factory she came from. Pretty obvious rearsenal as can be seen by the fresh finish on the receiver and other parts. All matching save for the force matched floor plate on the magazine.

Anyway...here’s the picture of the snow pile since it was barely good enough for the peanut gallery that it was ACTIVELY snowing on my way to the range last week :p

F0E16D3C-9693-4EBB-A348-9B82468594AE.jpeg

Tank is making lemonade snow cones for the judges of the contest :D

88D87074-BF7C-47C5-B4C2-AEDF539FC7CE.jpeg FD9A69E9-883D-4C9C-ADB4-491947FE4533.jpeg 9D43404B-C32C-483D-AC84-F5F716275031.jpeg

I think I’m noticing a trend here...lol. All my shot s to the right again...I think it’s time to drift some front sight posts, but wondering if maybe this has anything to do with me shooting with corrective lenses now?

Anywhoo, I wasn’t very satisfied with this target so I moved on to the next one and tried a different hold.

A8FCBE7F-1DB5-4739-86D8-7A03BA49E1A9.jpeg 16B7D78A-2257-42F0-B74B-C3B8B8A87F5B.jpeg 8A045D61-35FD-4C6C-8938-BD03E0C19899.jpeg

Still not great, but a little better than the first one.

I’m counting a 68 with that ‘Franco 8’ in there, but i’ll take a 67 since my K31 score was better anyway.

I think it’s going to continue to be difficult for me to get to the range during ‘good’ light, but if nothing else, this ‘match’ is motivating me to put my dick in the dirt when I normally probably wouldn’t be.

Last edited:

View attachment 257027

Here we have my very first Mosin 91/30. Paid the hearty sum of $89+shipping from a ‘classic’ vendor on my first ‘Black Friday’ as a gun owner/milsurp enthusiast.

Anyway...here’s the picture of the snow pile since it was barely good enough that it was ACTIVELY snowing on my way to the range last week :p

View attachment 257031

Tank is making lemonade snow cones for the judges of the contest :D

View attachment 257026 View attachment 257028 View attachment 257029

I think I’m noticing a trend here...lol. All my shot s to the right again...I think it’s time to drift some front sight posts, but wondering if maybe this has anything to do with me shooting with corrective lenses now?

Anywhoo, I wasn’t very satisfied with this target so I moved on to the next one and tried a different hold.

View attachment 257030 View attachment 257032 View attachment 257033

Still not great, but a little better than the first one.

I’m counting a 79 with that ‘Franco 8’ in there, but i’ll take a 78 since my K31 score was better anyway.

I think it’s going to continue to be difficult for me to get to the range during ‘good’ light, but if nothing else, this ‘match’ is motivating me to put my dick in the dirt when I normally probably wouldn’t be.

Hey, you better fill Tank's water bowl a little more often- looks a little dark...

blog_Orange-Snow-Cone.jpg

Nice shooting'!!! (That was for Tank, not you.) [smile]

View attachment 257027

View attachment 257036

She’s a 1942 commie rifle and that’s all I know. To be perfectly honest I don’t even know which factory she came from. Pretty obvious rearsenal as can be seen by the fresh finish on the receiver and other parts. All matching save for the force matched floor plate on the magazine.
Izhevsk based on the stamp. I'm a bit surprised it appears to have the metal in the rear stock swivel, many WW2 stocks have a simple wood cut out to facilitate faster production and lower cost.

Izhevsk based on the stamp. I'm a bit surprised it appears to have the metal in the rear stock swivel, many WW2 stocks have a simple wood cut out to facilitate faster production and lower cost.

Good catch. Maybe from the re-arsenal job? Anyway, Dakar has a nice looking Mosin. Not a bad group for a stock 91/30.

Dakar, if you want to shim that thing- pick up a set of the precut metal shims and I have extra rubber/cork gasket material to go under the barrel at the tip of the stock. Shimming and clearing the barrel can make a surprisingly good improvement in group size. Unless you have shim stock already and a good template, it's easier to just order the shims, IMHO. Actually, rather than sand inside the stock for clearance I suggest trying a double layer of shims below the action plus the rubber/cork 'pad' on top of the end of the stock channel. If you can fold a dollar in half and it easily slides between the barrel and stock, should be GTG.

Thanks for the info! Both of my 91/30's have all the metal. I added above that I'm pretty positive both are rearsenals and both from the same 'batch' because they have very similar finish and came from the same vendor. Either way...for $89, who could complain that it hit the paper 10 times out of 10!

So Izhevsk is the arrow in a triangle, and Tula is the arrow in a star?

And Mountain, is shimming mosins CMP legal? I'm trying to keep anything in a configuration that will keep Franco from barking guinea at me :D

Thanks for the info! Both of my 91/30's have all the metal. I added above that I'm pretty positive both are rearsenals and both from the same 'batch' because they have very similar finish and came from the same vendor. Either way...for $89, who could complain that it hit the paper 10 times out of 10!

And Mountain, is shimming mosins CMP legal? I'm trying to keep anything in a configuration that will keep Franco from barking guinea at me :D
Izhevsk used the arrow inside a triangle and at certain points the arrow/triangle was within a circle as well. Izhevsk also used the hammer and sickle near the top of the receiver and barrel shank. Tula used the star. Mine's a 1943 Izhevsk, looks similar on the top. Mine's "normal" - no metal on the stock rear sling loop. I've never actually put a sling on mine, it came with all the tools for firing pin depth, etc., and bayonet, but no sling although there's many reproductions available.

It's Winter Warrior legal, LOL. For CMP, 'careful fitting' is legal. [dance] I think for our local matches nobody is going to begrudge giving some help to a Mosin that needs it. Unless you beat you know who...

I have to look- I think the scope mount on my PU sniper allows use of iron sights. That may be my first entry if I get off my butt and load some 54R. I have the Lapua D166 projectiles to load. 150 gr SST's are at my Mom's.

Getting off topic, but as all of these old war horses age I think CMP is going to have to relax the rules on stock work. At least they should allow some work to restore the fit, but I doubt they'll do anything for a long time.

This is kinda my own ‘kick in the butt’ for me to get to reloading 54r finally. I’m using up the last of my steel cased Tula and have some nice fresh PPU and some cast 185gr’s at the ready waiting for each of my Mosins. Probably going to be using 4064 across the board and will hopefully settle on a load all/most of them like so I don’t have to have a different powder charge for each individual rifle.

I might try the shimming soon, as it appears to be cheap enough! My grouping actually isn’t too bad given the level of light i’m working with, but it could always be better! I’m definitely going to start with drifting the sight to the right...it’s a ‘bit’ far off to the left and appears to have shifted a little bit from when it was staked.

image.jpg

This is kinda my own ‘kick in the butt’ for me to get to reloading 54r finally. I’m using up the last of my steel cased Tula and have some nice fresh PPU and some cast 185gr’s at the ready waiting for each of my Mosins. Probably going to be using 4064 across the board and will hopefully settle on a load all/most of them like so I don’t have to have a different powder charge for each individual rifle.
54R was actually the first caliber I ever reloaded. I had planned to get into reloading for whenever I got an M1, but during the nearly year long wait on the CMP, I decided to get equipment and everything and learn on 54R. How has the Tula treated you? I had such poor accuracy with it, I gave up on it. I was more accurate with Polish surplus. PPU has been good, though. Whenever I need brass I buy that, and use the cases (as I do for 8mm Mauser and 303 British, and rarely 30-06 since there's often range pickup and I have HXP cases).

I was actually thinking of doing up a 54R batch tonight using the 150gr SP .312 that run well in my Lee Enfield. My manual has loads for them.

The Tula seems to work ok...I've been using spam can surplus up to this point but sold off all my surplus so I can concentrate on reloading. I bought a 155gr Lee mould that drops at .312, so I'm going to be using that for my arisaka/1889 Scmidt Rubin and M39's, but might also carry it over to my 91/30's and M44/T53 depending on how the bores slug.

What powder do you use for the 150gr .312 sp's?

I might try the shimming soon, as it appears to be cheap enough! My grouping actually isn’t too bad given the level of light i’m working with, but it could always be better! I’m definitely going to start with drifting the sight to the right...it’s a ‘bit’ far off to the left and appears to have shifted a little bit from when it was staked.

View attachment 257130

Rather than drift your front sight now I'm going to suggest that you use Kentucky windage until you settle on a load, unless you don't mind doing it twice. It seems weird to have POI change left/right with different loads, but I've seen it many times- even with very accurate rifles.

Rather than drift your front sight now I'm going to suggest that you use Kentucky windage until you settle on a load, unless you don't mind doing it twice. It seems weird to have POI change left/right with different loads, but I've seen it many times- even with very accurate rifles.
I have seen pretty surprising shifts doing the Optimum Charge Weight testing. My mosin was such a PITA I bought the front sight adjuster.

Target 1 - 16 Target 2 - 70

Nothing to write home about, but it's still an attempt and should be documented.

Mosin #2 - A Hex on Scoring!

IMG_1734.PNG Qualifying Temp in Boylston. Their'll be no belly aching about this round!

Of course I forgot my damn shooting mat! Wouldn't have had time to run home to get it because I was burning daylight as it was. Got to the range at 3:45 and ran my target out and ran back to get everything ready to go.

IMG_1735.jpg IMG_1736.jpg IMG_1737.jpg

Once again...following the trend of shooting to the right. I think I might try shooting these rifles without corrective lenses on and see if that might have something to do with all this. The Mosins I could expect would be off, but the K31 too? I hit an X-ring at 600 yards with open sights on that rifle less than a year ago with my first shot...I'll be scratching my head until I figure this out. Anyway...

My dong was getting cold and I didn't want to get grass stains on my chinos from work, so I put together a field expedient shooting mat using a rifle case and a cardboard target. I tried a different hold but I guess I over compensated a bit because my score was still in the shitter.

IMG_1738.jpg IMG_1739.jpg IMG_1740.jpg

Once again though...just fun to get out there and make some holes in paper. I get some funny looks from old timers putzing around when I come in to set up 30 minutes before sunset, but I could really care less.

Once again, I don't know much about this $89 Mosin other than that it is a hex receiver...but I have a funny feeling daekken will be able to tell me about it. If I had to guess I'd say it's another Izzy?

IMG_1741.jpg IMG_1742.jpg IMG_1743.jpg

Last edited:
For what it is, that's a pretty decent price. That company should make something for the K31 and charge 5X the price- LOL, it will still sell.

100%...that tool/sight combo is slicker than snot on a door knob for the price. I might just order one for the hex and stick with just drifting the sight on the round receiver, as I don't seem to have any elevation problems with that one. Still two Mosin carbine variants and two M39's to join the party soon...though the M39 front sights are very different and very easily adjusted with a flat head.

Once again, I don't know much about this $89 Mosin other than that it is a hex receiver...but I have a funny feeling daekken will be able to tell me about it. If I had to guess I'd say it's another Izzy?
Yes, Izhevsk. Those markings on the side are interesting, I can't really make them out. The diamond shaped one is peculiar and could stand for a number of things. That target is definitely better than mine can do.
I'm going to be trying some 150gr soft points next week with mine, probably with Varget.

Now I kind of want an Imperial Mosin, I've seen a few, kind of a cool change from your standard Soviet ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom