2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

So will my recent M1a be DQ'd for those extra special cartouches stamped on the sights.
If i can get the cracks shored up i will run it with the GI stock if not the archangel will have to do.

So will my recent M1a be DQ'd for those extra special cartouches stamped on the sights.
If i can get the cracks shored up i will run it with the GI stock if not the archangel will have to do.

No secret rules like the CMP has. Plastic stock ok too, just no free float match rigs.

No secret rules like the CMP has. Plastic stock ok too, just no free float match rigs.
Ok i almost did not put the front band back on to see if free floating helped.
Hope to at least test fire this week. That NM rear sight is no help to me. To small big grey blob right in the center of it.

Looks like 'qualifying' weather is here. No question it will be below freezing tomorrow! Single-digit lows are forecast at my range the next two days. A bit early for that, IMO!

3wjLJjh.jpg

Looks like 'qualifying' weather is here. No question it will be below freezing tomorrow! Single-digit lows are forecast at my range the next two days. A bit early for that, IMO!

3wjLJjh.jpg
a little mix of weapons there....that snow coach remends me of a picture of my dad driving a M3 halftrack retrofitted with skis up front. said it was all good until you got off the wide open fields. Wheels went back on after the first few skis got busted off trying to turn in woods and rocks.

a little mix of weapons there....that snow coach remends me of a picture of my dad driving a M3 halftrack retrofitted with skis up front. said it was all good until you got off the wide open fields. Wheels went back on after the first few skis got busted off trying to turn in woods and rocks.

This is a pic of German forces, but the vehicles look almost identical to the ones I see in 10th Mountain's section at Camp Ethan Allen. Maybe the same make?

8 degrees at my house this AM. Should be perfect weather to shoot the Finn M39.

Bump for prizes. It's above freezing today, but probably most of us have some snow cover to count as a 'winter' entry.

FRrCk4Sh.jpg

Original bayonet for M1 Garand, carefully preserved in vintage cosmoline unless I get industrious and remove that curse masquerading as a preservative.

Surplus bandoleer with cardboard inserts and enblocs included.

May add to this, and will ship on my dime.

Reminder that prizes are via random drawing. One chance per target submitted, no limit. Top score for bragging rights only. I'm running it this way to encourage participation, which is what's truly important, IMHO.

My un official entry and my official retraction from any prizes I will be posting in spirit only. I will be working up loads in both cast a FMJ in other platforms and posting those also

Below new to me SAI M1a loaded with 2 different loads
110s with 8208
SMluTnjm.jpg

168s with H4895
bONlvqSm.jpg

Now if I can just get my groups in the CENTER!

would have been better but my cheap spotscope fogged out on me

Last edited:
You could try my method:
- Don't bring spotting scope
- Shoot three shots
- Run 100 yds through the mud, inspect target
- Run back 100yds to firing line
- Repeat
I don’t have time ! I have 18min to set up shoot and clear out!

I don’t have time ! I have 18min to set up shoot and clear out!
I can be positively pokey during my 45 minute timeframe.
Hopefully my Varget 8mm test loads will work today. If so, I'll try to run an SR-1 out there for my first Winter Warrior target, I think there's still some snow on the ground (at least up in NH). If not, practice run.
I also did up my first fifteen Makarov test rounds.

I can be positively pokey during my 45 minute timeframe.
Hopefully my Varget 8mm test loads will work today. If so, I'll try to run an SR-1 out there for my first Winter Warrior target, I think there's still some snow on the ground (at least up in NH). If not, practice run.
I also did up my first fifteen Makarov test rounds.
IIRC you can post several scores

IIRC you can post several scores

Yep- prize winner determined via random drawing, one entry per score, no limit for number of entries. Top score gets bragging rights and the honorable title “NES Winter Warrior 2018-2019”.

Might I suggest a military pistol/revolver side show? I have scanned a 50 foot NRA target.

t

Attachments

• 50 foot pistol.pdf
    817.1 KB · Views: 12
Might I suggest a military pistol/revolver side show? I have scanned a 50 foot NRA target.

t

Winter Warrior - Pistol Division? A nice thought for increased participation, but how to limit it to fair competition? Bonafide milsurp pistols? Service pistols in general? I'm kinda soured on pistols for this because of infighting and nitpicking over minutia on the M14 forum regarding a service pistol postal match. Here's an example of some of the crap over an entry with a modern 1911A1 clone:

Since when was a full length guide rod on a service pistol?....clone or not a FLGR is not service "Type".....IMHO......and being legal for CMP has nothing to do with this challenge....IMHO
This is why I was excited, but reluctant about this challenge.
The OP did a cool thing suggesting it....then folks took it into their own hands...IMHO....

D-bag wasn't even shooting a pistol in this match, only his mouth LOL. We may have a few trolls and curmudgeons on NES, but the miserable prick count is pretty low and I don't want to wake them from their Ol' Grandad induced slumber.

That said, I welcome ANY winter sideshow to keep this thread pumping along. :D Maybe pistols are not officially in the match, but still interesting to me and probably to others as well.

the miserable prick count is pretty low and I don't want to wake them from their Ol' Grandad induced slumber.

Too late...i'm already awake. I'm taking out the K31 tomorrow after work, because I'm sure there's a snow pile kicking around at the range and I need to feel like I did something with my life. I have 20 rounds of bunny fart loads ready to rock at 100yds (35gr IMR4895 behind Nosler 168CCs in PPU brass), but may only shoot 10 because I have some 'breaking in' of other rifles to do as well (see November Acquisitions thread if you're interested in my non-qualifying rifle)

You guys might be in a lot of trouble come spring time if I get my ass moving on the M14 I just barreled/headspaced last week! None of those cheaters NM sights going on it either :p

I say let the pistols play.
Service pistol target.
B8 or SR1 i think would be a fine substitution?
25 yards any position ?
As for what pistol. Any surplus pistol and close enough clones?
What say you, mountain

Post a score and get entry into the luck of the draw and pistol feather fluffing until next year!

Last edited:
Too late...i'm already awake. I'm taking out the K31 tomorrow after work, because I'm sure there's a snow pile kicking around at the range and I need to feel like I did something with my life. I have 20 rounds of bunny fart loads ready to rock at 100yds (35gr IMR4895 behind Nosler 168CCs in PPU brass), but may only shoot 10 because I have some 'breaking in' of other rifles to do as well (see November Acquisitions thread if you're interested in my non-qualifying rifle)

You guys might be in a lot of trouble come spring time if I get my ass moving on the M14 I just barreled/headspaced last week! None of those cheaters NM sights going on it either :p

I liked your post but then unliked over the cheater sight comment .[laugh]

And I nominate you for official NES rifle inspector.

In that case I guess I can cheat all I want! I'm in!

I got a wacky idea when I was packing up my bags for tomorrow, and it all started with my K31...all of it.

The 1934 Schmidt Rubin K31 was my first 'real' rifle (other than my many issued M16's). I think I bought it off a guy on NES about 5 or 6 years ago...I honestly can't believe it's only been that long since I've been shooting given the way that I've taken to the many facets of the hobby.

Anyway...my idea is, I'm going to attempt to go though my milsurps in (roughly) the order I bought them and post a target for each (or at least most)...that way when I die you guys will know what's getting buried with me (what'd you think I was going to sell them to you?). It seems like a good plan for me to be able to get my ass out to the range more than I normally would in the winter. We'll see if I actually follow through with it, but tomorrow should be a good start at least.

I say let the pistols play.
Service pistol target.
B8 or SR1 i think would be a fine substitution?
25 yards any position ?
As for what pistol. Any surplus pistol and close enough clones?
What say you, mountain

Post a score and get entry into the luck of the draw and pistol feather fluffing until next year!

OK, since I got to bitch about the few turds on the other forum and somehow summoned Dakar652 via the same post, I'm game.

Service pistol or 'close enough' clones, any era. Heck, even cap and ball Army / Navy revolver replicas are OK.
In the spirit of longer distance marksmanship, official target will be the NRA B-8 shot at 25 yards, slow fire, any position.
One entry to the random drawing per target submitted. Highest score gets bragging rights until next winter.

T and others: There are downloadable pdf's available for the B-8. I'll post a link when I get around to it.

I think I'll do a Luger vs. 1911 shoot-out and a Army vs. Navy black powder pistol shoot out. For laughs my 1903 Colt, which at 25 yards I can literally throw more accurately than shoot. Might the lowest legit score.

Back
Top Bottom