• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

1938 dated 27 code. The only matched parts are the receiver and barrel...everything else is your standard Russian capture forced match. Probably not the most exciting example but it's what got me into the milsurp world!

Dont discredit the chinese, perfectly capable of making good stuff when they want to.
If i can find some of my bullets for 54r I might load some up and take a run for a few last entries in the WWM

Pretty much my entire post was intended to be satirical. I love Chinese guns and intend to buy a nice SKS/AK set of Norinco’s when I move out of state this year and don’t have to pay the MA douchebag tax of twice the cost of the actual worth of the rifle plus having to hear the words ‘rare’ or ‘pre-ban’ anymore to double the price on top of that.

Hey, don't remind Mac that he sold his Chinese 54R to me. Let's let him keep digging in the basement for a while.

Kidding aside, that Chinese 54R is pretty good stuff except for being corrosive. I'll be shooting it in my VEPR because it's simply an oversize AK and can be rinsed out by, well never mind...

Going back through the thread I had the fewest entries on my K98 (1), 91/30 (1), and Lee-Enfield (2). I did up some 8mm for the K98 last night so that will hopefully make it out this week. Still want to give the 1917 one last go. Going to be crunch up to the 19th.

Erma is the second lowest production of K98s....about 250,000. bSw is the lowest...about 50,000.

t

PTSD from the heart attack....I wake up nearly every morning at 1:30....about the time they put the stent in.

Hey, don't remind Mac that he sold his Chinese 54R to me. Let's let him keep digging in the basement for a while.

Kidding aside, that Chinese 54R is pretty good stuff except for being corrosive. I'll be shooting it in my VEPR because it's simply an oversize AK and can be rinsed out by, well never mind...
That stuff was just the stuff I was tripping over, I have more somewhere but I also have some .312 bullets stuffed somewhere

That stuff was just the stuff I was tripping over, I have more somewhere but I also have some .312 bullets stuffed somewhere

I was wondering where the shoe prints came from. Marks on the brass appear to be from Gucci loafers.

gucci-fur-loafers.jpg

If everything goes according to plan:
Today: Lee-Enfield
Tomorrow or Thursday: K98
Monday or Tuesday: M1917

I already loaded up rounds for each of them.
The CMP Special is nearly done being tung oiled (7 coats upper handguard, 5 lower handguard, 4 on the stock), but won't be done in time to make March 20.

Wanted to shoot for the match this weekend, but the snow piled up on the 50 yard berm was just high enough to obstruct the view of the 100 yard targets.

Wanted to shoot for the match this weekend, but the snow piled up on the 50 yard berm was just high enough to obstruct the view of the 100 yard targets.

What's up with that? Someone plowed it there? I'd ask the club to have it cleared.

If I have time after work today might do the Luger P08 vs. 1911A1 clone. Luger has a 29 lb trigger pull, so that one will be tough.

What's up with that? Someone plowed it there? I'd ask the club to have it cleared.

If I have time after work today might do the Luger P08 vs. 1911A1 clone. Luger has a 29 lb trigger pull, so that one will be tough.

Sitting from the bench or standing the view was clear. The snow was just high enough that prone was a struggle. I could see the top targets, but my spotting scope was too low to see over the near berm.

I doubt anyone else realized it was an issue as I was the only one shooting prone. Too warm to worry about plowing, it's probably already solved.

Last edited:
Sitting from the bench or standing the view was clear. The snow was just high enough that prone was a struggle. I could see the top targets, but my spotting scope was too low to see over the near berm.

I doubt anyone else realized it was an issue as I was the only one shooting prone. To warm to worry about plowing, it's probably already solved.

Gotcha. FYI, any position OK for the Winter Warrior match. Prone in snow is preferred, LOL.

All you need to do is yell a lot of German while you shoot the Luger.
der amerikanische Abschaum
Not sure this is correct?

I’m pissed and wet, but not wet because I’m pissed. No shooting and drinking here.

Range was flooded a foot deep under ice and snow - unknown to me - so I wound up sacrificing my target and 2 binder clamps. Distance about 40 feet, 42F, windy, and mostly sunny. Target was swinging with the wind...had to wait between gusts. Shot a little high as I was covering the target as I do for the Detective Special; this one needs to be a little lower at 6:00. That's why I practice...someday I'll have to write down these variations.

I’ve started carrying my 1915 M08 Colt .380 again...very comfortable, flat profile, and the Liberty CD .380 have the same ballistics as the .38 special...50/1500/250...which is the highest of any .380 round I’ve found.

Started on the left target, first shot was one precious Liberty round, 1:00, 1cm outside. Then the rest were Remington JHP, followed by a mag of Fiochhi JHP. Right target 1 mag Fiochhi then 1 mag Hornady HXP. That’s the first pic. Then I put a further mag of Remington ball into each target; second pic. Cleaned out a jar of leftovers. Have a new Azula holster coming to fit this one...using my Detective holster...it falls out of my PPk holster as a M08 is skinnier than a PPk...and an inch and a bit longer.

t

Attachments

• C09DA63D-17C9-4422-965F-9619C47C7F36.jpeg
    C09DA63D-17C9-4422-965F-9619C47C7F36.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 533F43EC-DE84-4B35-8A33-BC931F0E372E.jpeg
    533F43EC-DE84-4B35-8A33-BC931F0E372E.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 9
  • F15C2A84-FACE-4478-9196-7548A240883B.jpeg
    F15C2A84-FACE-4478-9196-7548A240883B.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 045F04AD-6973-4BC3-B454-C880406E6968.jpeg
    045F04AD-6973-4BC3-B454-C880406E6968.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 8CF44767-2841-4A77-9E51-439F367BD6D0.jpeg
    8CF44767-2841-4A77-9E51-439F367BD6D0.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 11
  • B2E1F6BC-43DD-45D7-BEF8-1A8F585D1FAC.jpeg
    B2E1F6BC-43DD-45D7-BEF8-1A8F585D1FAC.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6712.jpg
    IMG_6712.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Target 1: 84-0x

Pardon my French but **** Accurate 2520, "it's in the name" -- false advertising!
First it kept causing squibs in 8mm and now it makes my Lee-Enfield have an identity crisis and think it's a 91/30.

lee.jpg

Was chasing the sights all of the place. I scored somewhere in the 90s with this rifle last year. If I can find a load for it, I'm thinking of relegating AA2520 to 223 plinking ammo.

target.jpg

At least I got all ten on paper; after the first few I was not so confident.

Hoping to redeem myself tomorrow with the K98.
On the plus side, it was beautiful out and I was the only one there. Although I was silly and didn't wear my boots, so my feet are soaked.

Target 1: 84-0x

Pardon my French but **** Accurate 2520, "it's in the name" -- false advertising!
First it kept causing squibs in 8mm and now it makes my Lee-Enfield have an identity crisis and think it's a 91/30.

View attachment 273973

Was chasing the sights all of the place. I scored somewhere in the 90s with this rifle last year. If I can find a load for it, I'm thinking of relegating AA2520 to 223 plinking ammo.

View attachment 273975

At least I got all ten on paper; after the first few I was not so confident.

Hoping to redeem myself tomorrow with the K98.
On the plus side, it was beautiful out and I was the only one there. Although I was silly and didn't wear my boots, so my feet are soaked.

What were your loads?

.380 Auto ammo breakdown....

Liberty: 50gr/1500fps/250ft-lbs
Remington JHP: 88/955/190
Fiochhi JHP: 90/1000/205
Hornady XTP: 90/955/190
Remington FMJRN: 90/955/190

The Remington RN had the most kick; Liberty and Remington JHP the least. All five types cycled flawlessly - amazing for a 104 year old automatic designed for ball ammo. I hand picked these types as the bullet is as long as RN and the face is mostly RN so it feeds right. The pistol was originally sent from Colt to Iver Johnson Sporting Goods in Boston on June 5, 1915.

Had to stop at Home Depot to pick up a 4" faucet set for my bathroom sink and forgot my cane in the cart as I loaded a new broom/dustpan into my car. Went back for it and someone had stolen it! Who steals a man's cane?

t

Last edited:
44gr Accurate 2520 under .312 Hornady 150gr soft point, all PPU cases with CCI large rifle primer. Necksized cases.

The 312 Hornadys have worked quite well for me in the past.
Have you ran any factory ammo.
Did you check all your action screws for tightness?

Looking at other .380 ammo specs on line.

Buffalo Bore 80gr JHP: 1275fps/348ft-lbs
Buffalo Bore 90gr JHP: 1200/288
Federal Hrdra-shock 90 gr JHP: 1000/200
Federal 99 JHP personal defense (exceed FBI standards): 975/209
Speer Gold Dot 90gr JHP: 1040/216

Keeping in mind my Colt is 104 years old, I assume Buffalo bore is too hot? Speer might be good.

t

Last edited:
Have you ran any factory ammo.
Did you check all your action screws for tightness?
Not recently. I can check the screws. After the postal is over I can run some Varget which I've had very good 303 British luck with. The front post is very fine, and I get a really nice sight picture which is maybe why I've shot it so well.

I do know one time when I was cleaning it I hit the knob on the target sites; but I can't imagine it really did anything. Maybe if I shot for groups instead of trying to get in the black constantly, it would have performed better.

44gr Accurate 2520 under .312 Hornady 150gr soft point, all PPU cases with CCI large rifle primer. Necksized cases.

The 312 Hornadys have worked quite well for me in the past.

That should have given you a good case fill, so that's not the issue. 2520 is a ball powder and can be a little temperature sensitive, certainly more so than Varget. Maybe check the primer holes in the brass in case some need reaming?

Looking at other .380 ammo specs on line.

Buffalo Bore 80gr JHP: 1275fps/348ft-lbs
Bullalo Bore 90gr JHP: 1200/288
Federal Hrdra-shock 90 gr JHP: 1000/200
Federal 99 JHP personal defense (exceed FBI standards): 975/209
Speer Gold Dot 90gr JHP: 1040/216

Keeping in mind my Colt is 104 years old, I assume Buffalo bore is too hot? Speer might be good.

t

I think you assume correctly that Buffalo Bore could be too hot. Snappy little pistol anyway, even in .32 ACP. Does the .380 leave part of the case unsupported like the Colt 1911's do? Haven't checked that on the .32.

That should have given you a good case fill, so that's not the issue. 2520 is a ball powder and can be a little temperature sensitive, certainly more so than Varget. Maybe check the primer holes in the brass in case some need reaming?
The case fill/ignition was definitely a problem with the 8mm.
People seem to like 2520 with 308 and a few said it does well in their 303s.
Apparently Accurate says I can do 24.3 - 27.0 gr of 2520 with BTFMJ Hornadys for .223. Maybe I'll do a few to try out with my new AR on Friday and see what happens. I did read briefly 2520 with 223 prefers heavy bullets.

The case fill/ignition was definitely a problem with the 8mm.
People seem to like 2520 with 308 and a few said it does well in their 303s.
Apparently Accurate says I can do 24.3 - 27.0 gr of 2520 with BTFMJ Hornadys for .223. Maybe I'll do a few to try out with my new AR on Friday and see what happens. I did read briefly 2520 with 223 prefers heavy bullets.

I tried 2520 in 7.5 Swiss with loads given to me by the guy who won Vintage Rifle with that load at Camp Perry. I (and my K31) didn't like it as much as Varget but the weather was cold, if that's a factor. [thinking]?

I got that load data software thing. I’m still playing around with it but I will see if any data points are different to see what could be going on

I tried 2520 in 7.5 Swiss with loads given to me by the guy who won Vintage Rifle with that load at Camp Perry. I (and my K31) didn't like it as much as Varget but the weather was cold, if that's a factor. [thinking]?
Limited sample size; I can try it with other charges/bullets/cartridges and see what happens. All the 303 were on paper and 7 ring or better at 100 yds, so it's not like it was a total disaster, just not the accuracy I was hoping to see.

As for today, "best laid plans and all..." - every rifle station was taken. So I was relegated to shooting the Mk III which I brought as a back-up in case this happened. Did some weak hand only shooting after @Fritz the Cat mentioned it in another thread. 2-3 years ago it was rare to see someone at the club on a weekday...now it's rare that I am the only one (or that there's only 2-3 other people).

Hopefully the K98 can get out tomorrow or Friday, but maybe not...

I think I may have mentioned that my pistol scores wouldn't exactly kick ass...

T48hJ2Tl.jpg

I was expecting the 1911 to do better. Must be the ammo [laugh]. I was expecting the Luger to do worse. Must be my skills. [rofl] Anyway both offhand at 25 yards.

Only had time to pop a couple targets. Missed some shots with the Rem R1 1911 for that 51-1X. Probably would have been in the 5-ring if I had one. Luger 85-3X (maybe) surprised me as pulling the trigger is a two-person job. I exaggerate only slightly- I think it has the heaviest trigger pull of anything I own. Despite the heavy pull, it has a really nice clean and predictable break.

I think I may have mentioned that my pistol scores wouldn't exactly kick ass...

T48hJ2Tl.jpg

I was expecting the 1911 to do better. Must be the ammo [laugh]. I was expecting the Luger to do worse. Must be my skills. [rofl] Anyway both offhand at 25 yards.

Only had time to pop a couple targets. Missed some shots with the Rem R1 1911 for that 51-1X. Probably would have been in the 5-ring if I had one. Luger 85-3X (maybe) surprised me as pulling the trigger is a two-person job. I exaggerate only slightly- I think it has the heaviest trigger pull of anything I own. Despite the heavy pull, it has a really nice clean and predictable break.
Its very obvious you did not scream load german phrases when shooting the luger. Then when shooting the 1911 you must have had some german thoughts going through your head?

Some simple ones to try next time
"Horrido - Joho".
Dran! Drauf! Drüber!" Maybe use this thinking your out of MG ammo and no more shells? Just you, side arm and a mag of ammo left

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom