2017 Walls of Steel match 8/18-20/2017

Yup, sign up to do the job as these folks have enough on their plate,
we shooters are great at suggesting ways for OUR shoot experience
to be better but willing to sign up to do the job, not so much.
Hell they couldn't even get enough help to man the money making
side events.

There are many more areas that need work than all of us getting our
scores and standings published hours after a match, I believe we've
become too accustomed to being able to get or scores by the time we
drive home.
Hell with all this tech we have the club still doesn't cash my check till
the end of year[smile]

I thank Mike E for doing the scores and registrations for the SC we run
at HSC, I work on computers enough & after running a match and stowing
everything back in the shed the last u want to do is scores.

So enough of that,

Thanks Jim & Crew for another memorable Walls of Steel,see you next year.

I want to take a moment and echo Dave's comments and add some of my own. I don't have any affiliation with Walls of Steel other than shooting it for many years. The shooting we do is a volunteer sport. We are lucky to have the venues available to us to do the shooting we all enjoy. Nobody is getting rich doing this. We do it for the love of shooting. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. What is usually lacking is volunteers. People need to step up and take responsibility to make these events happen. It takes club liaisons, setup crew, RO's, and scoring help. If any of these are missing events can be cancelled or people get burned out and things die out.

From personal experience, if you offer to help it will be gladly accepted. If you step up to take ownership of a specific portion it is even better. A few years ago I was really interested in practiscore which was just starting to be used at local USPSA matches. I had been attending monthly steel challenge matches at Harvard. I talked to Paul D who had been running the matches and was close to ending them due to getting burned out being the point person for ALL the previously mentioned roles. I offered to take over just one of the roles: scoring. With the help of many other local club people (Steve P. in particular) they helped me out with practiscore from A to Z. It helped Paul focus on other aspects of the match and I became a hero for getting the scores posted before I left the club. Nobody can put on these events alone. If you are interested in learning how to use practiscore to run a match PM me. I can walk you through the process from beginning to the end at our September Harvard Steel Challenge match.

I didn't make it to this year's Walls of Steel due to other commitments, but I know how much hard work Jim and the Wallum Lake crew put into this event and a lot of other events throughout the shooting season. Over the last few years we lost three shooting venues (Independent, Manville, and New Bedford) while the relatively smallish crew at Wallum has increased the number and types of matches they are putting on. They've added Multigun, 3-gun, Practical Shotgun, Pro-Am, three Walls of Steel matches and a lot of weekly man vs man weekly steel matches. I worry that if we don't step up to help out that crew they will soon burn themselves out.

So, even thought I wasn't there, I want to send out a big thank you to Jim and the rest of the crew who worked hard to put on what I heard was another SPECTACULAR knock-down steel shooting event. I'm looking forward to see you guys on Sunday for the weekly match.

-Cuz.

Another big thanks to Jim and the crew! This was my first walls of steel and will definitely make it a yearly trip. Also a yuge thanks to the individual that found my truck keys!!!! Would've sucked getting my spares from western mass!

There are many more areas that need work than all of us getting our
scores and standings published hours after a match, I believe we've
become too accustomed to being able to get or scores by the time we
drive home.

Thanks Jim & Crew for another memorable Walls of Steel,see you next year.

Isn't that the truth!

Dave you have been doing this long enough to remember when match results showed up in the mailbox (yes, the one at the end of your driveway!) 4-5 weeks after the "IPSC" matches. I do.

Thanks to Boudrie for getting us into the computer age. [grin]

The prelim results have just been posted at www.wallsofsteel.com
Please let us know if there are any mistakes before the final results are posted.
The side match results will be posted with the final results.

Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom