2017 US Supreme Court Term

Comm2A

Director Comm2a
Dealer
NES Member
As a public service, we've compiled a list of Second Amendment related cases that may before the high court this term or next. Petition for certiorari have been submitted in each of these cases, but the court has not yet acted on any of them. We'll try to keep this list up to date as the court takes action.

U.S. SUPREME COURT -- 2017 TERM

Any idea if the Robinson case from the Fourth Circuit will eventually be making its way up to USSC level?

That stupidity specifically needs to be squashed hard.

This would be nice:

Kolbe v. Hogan
Challenge to Maryland's Assault Weapons Ban
Petition - Jul 21, 2017
More Information (Scotus Blog)
Not yet scheduled for conference.

I'd like to see my pre bans become worthless!

Small price to pay for Freedom!

Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ!

Is this an actual thing?

May the police raid a dwelling without a warrant, probable cause, exigency, or announcement and shoot dead the dwelling's law-abiding occupant solely because he kept a firearm for self-defense?

Which circus court couldn't decide THAT one?

Is this an actual thing?

May the police raid a dwelling without a warrant, probable cause, exigency, or announcement and shoot dead the dwelling's law-abiding occupant solely because he kept a firearm for self-defense?

Which circus court couldn't decide THAT one?[/FONT][/COLOR]

And what kind of psychopath would defend it to the point where it even needs to get SCOTUS? Someone actually had to say, out loud, to someone else, without shame, "I think we did the right thing here."

Tapdancing Christ, indeed.

Any idea if the Robinson case from the Fourth Circuit will eventually be making its way up to USSC level?

That stupidity specifically needs to be squashed hard.
Scheduled for the October 27 conference. Thanks for the suggestion. We'll add it to the list this week.

This would be nice:

Kolbe v. Hogan
Petition - Jul 21, 2017
More Information (Scotus Blog)
Not yet scheduled for conference.

I'd like to see my pre bans become worthless!

Small price to pay for Freedom!
Kolbe was decided with a particularly silly rational. I think some of the courts are justing going farther and farther out there in order to get SCOTUS to actually make some decisions.

Is this an actual thing?

Which circus court couldn't decide THAT one?[/FONT][/COLOR]
In Florida, apparently it is a thing. Read Gura's amicus brief.

It looks like there are some potentially interesting 2A cases to keep an eye on. I for one would like to see the court finally weigh in on AWB once and for all, especially the decision from Maryland which took the AWB to new levels of interpretation.

The Roberts Court has been a disappointment. I hope President Trump gets to make at least one or two more picks for the USSC. That would throw a real good monkey wrench into the lefts plan to turn us into a commie dictatorship.

God the second amendment is freaking doomed and our own government utterly failed us from the courts all the way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two denials of cert :( from today's orders list: https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/112717zor_f204.pdf

Kolbe v. Hogan
-This one shouldn't be that surprising. They're not going to take an AWB case on the heels of two high-profile mass shootings.

Here in lies the problem. The court shouldn’t be deciding to take on cases based upon feelings or political whims! This just illustrates everything that’s wrong with our system.

Here in lies the problem. The court shouldn’t be deciding to take on cases based upon feelings or political whims! This just illustrates everything that’s wrong with our system.
The SC is a court of (mostly) discretionary jurisdiction. How do you think they should make decisions about which cases to take? Keep in mind that they only agree to hear about 1% of all petitions.

Neither side wants to see any 2A cases cause neither side is sure they can win. If we get another Trump appointee in there, they'll start taking 2A cases.

Silvester, originally schedule for Friday's (1/5/18) conference has been 'rescheduled'.......

Is this a common delaying tactic? Sort of like how the legislature won't bring a bill they don't want passed to the floor so that it expires at the end of the session and has to be refiled or dropped next session?

Two denials of cert :( from today's orders list: https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/112717zor_f204.pdf

Kolbe v. Hogan
-This one shouldn't be that surprising. They're not going to take an AWB case on the heels of two high-profile mass shootings.

Norman v. Florida
Right to carry where Norman was convicted of openly carrying a handgun when his concealed handgun was accidently exposed.
They have no intestinal fortitude. Just keep letting our rights get stepped on.

So basically we're batting zero on 2A cases. I'm guessing that there are more anti-gun judges on the court than we might think there are.

This is a downer, at least for now.

TBH I think we might be better off with SCOTUS not hearing these cases.. At least not now.. Maybe have a better chance with ruling in 2A favor if Trump is able to get a couple more Justices in there.. Of course that may take years assuming at least one doesn't pass on before then.

Back
Top Bottom