• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2017 Steel Challenge at Harvard Sportsmens Club

This Saturday (5/20) will be my teenage daughter's first match. She's going to run a Ruger 10/22 with a red dot (I may run it too). Any suggestions on what distance I should zero the gun for steel challenge? It looks like distances for this match range from 7 to 35 yards, with most of them being under 20 yards. I've seen suggestions online for a 17 yard zero, but thought I would see what the collective wisdom here suggests.

This Saturday (5/20) will be my teenage daughter's first match. She's going to run a Ruger 10/22 with a red dot (I may run it too). Any suggestions on what distance I should zero the gun for steel challenge? It looks like distances for this match range from 7 to 35 yards, with most of them being under 20 yards. I've seen suggestions online for a 17 yard zero, but thought I would see what the collective wisdom here suggests.

Sounds like your daughter is going to have a ton of fun on Saturday. I'm looking forward to the match.

Go with the knockdown power of the 45 acp. Also depending on what m&p you have, you probably get a slightly longer sight radius which is handy for the harder shots like the little plates on pendulum.

Go with the knockdown power of the 45 acp. Also depending on what m&p you have, you probably get a slightly longer sight radius which is handy for the harder shots like the little plates on pendulum.

Steel Challenge isn't a falling plate match, so there's nothing to knock down. As long as the bullet reaches the plate, you're good. Perhaps a downloaded .45 round might be the way to go?

This will be my first SC match, looking forward to it very much.
Trying to make up my mind between M&P 9mm or 1911 .45.

9 vs 45 doesn't matter. You should be more concerned with magazine capacity. There are only 5 plates per string but if your 1911 only holds 7 or 8 rounds a couple of misses and you'll have to do a reload. You will be better off with 10-round mags, and you will want 5 of them

Last edited:
Ok, got the paint, called the food guy, weather looks cool, maybe I'll ask him about coffee.

If you would like to help RO or run the nook let the sign up crew know.

Weather looks good, (great for this fat old guy [smile]) a little cool but you'll be plenty warm
after running around painting the steel.

Sign-up starts at 8:30, shooters meeting at 9:15-ish and shooting starts right after that.

Come on out and have some fun, I'll see u there [coffee]

Nice job Dave and Mike for doing a great job. As well as all the others that made it happen. I don't know about the other squads but squad 1 had a whole bunch of laughs and enjoyed the weather . Nice seeing Frank back on track too

Nice job Dave and Mike for doing a great job. As well as all the others that made it happen. I don't know about the other squads but squad 1 had a whole bunch of laughs and enjoyed the weather . Nice seeing Frank back on track too

You mean "Hoppalong?" [rofl]

Glad that Frank's up and about again.

Thanks to all that came today, beautiful weather at the range.

Sorry I messed up with the food guy, I'll make sure to confirm him next month.

And a boat load of thanks to all that broke down the stages and helped put everything away.

See you all next month.

Back
Top Bottom