• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2017 Mini Walls of Steel

I'm told factory power 115gr 9mm might not be enough to knock down poppers. I guess I'll find out soon enough since I don't have enough time to get 124gr bullets and load up several hundred before Sunday. [wink]

I'm told factory power 115gr 9mm might not be enough to knock down poppers. I guess I'll find out soon enough since I don't have enough time to get 124gr bullets and load up several hundred before Sunday. [wink]

You'll be fine. It's not the weight of the bullet, it's the momentum (power factor). If the load is hot enough to cycle a semi-auto, it'll be fine to knock down every plate they have. Some of my revolver loads don't have enough oomph to run my semis, but they'll knock down the poppers (slooooooowly sometimes).

Caveat: on the popper stages you and your squad can (and should) calibrate the poppers throughout the time your squad is on the stage. Jim will go over this at the safety briefing. They should fall over with a light but sharp tap at the top. If you watch a shooter hit a popper 2-3 times before it goes down, give it some attention during reset.

Right on. I'm used to doing all this stuff with a .45 which is never a problem dropping poppers. I bought the 9mm 1911 just for steel challenge and other fun stuff but still use only a .45 in IDPA.

I just realized that even though my check has been cashed I haven't received any emails or had any other correspondence about tomorrow. I am assuming I am good so am going to show up for the afternoon session, but has anyone else received an email or anything?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What a great time. Thanks to the RSO's and Wallum Lake staff for a wicked fun day. :D

(John in squad 4)

Oh and I shot less than half the ammo I brought. Better safe than sorry though.

No surprise Jeff Nicoll came in first. Kid is a beast. Shot with him at plate shoots in CT and he was silly fast. Only a couple times was I able to beat him[laugh]

He won Limited - someone else won Open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't Supermoto once say that Open was where all the big dogs play? Or something like that.

Nice job Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to bump this old thread but I have a question: How are the payouts structured for this event? I got home last night and the wife hands me a letter from Wallum Lake with a check in it. I was no where near the top scores in stock auto division, but I just went back and looked at the results and top 5 shooters get $90, 80, 70, 60 and 50 respectively. Then scores 24 thru 28 get $85, 75, 65, etc... Scores 47 thru 51 get $65, 55 blah blah...

Are those just random prizes thrown in throughout, so that everyone has a chance of winning some amount of cash? Or are those representing classes within each division? The results page doesn't break down classes at all, Just Stock Auto, Open Auto, Stock Revolver and Open Revolver. Just curious. I was pleasantly surprised to get a check in the mail. That was my first time shooting at that club.

Sorry to bump this old thread but I have a question: How are the payouts structured for this event? I got home last night and the wife hands me a letter from Wallum Lake with a check in it. I was no where near the top scores in stock auto division, but I just went back and looked at the results and top 5 shooters get $90, 80, 70, 60 and 50 respectively. Then scores 24 thru 28 get $85, 75, 65, etc... Scores 47 thru 51 get $65, 55 blah blah...

Are those just random prizes thrown in throughout, so that everyone has a chance of winning some amount of cash? Or are those representing classes within each division? The results page doesn't break down classes at all, Just Stock Auto, Open Auto, Stock Revolver and Open Revolver. Just curious. I was pleasantly surprised to get a check in the mail. That was my first time shooting at that club.

Google "Lewis Class" system

It's confusing, I don't completely understand it, but sometimes it works out wonderfully for someone who places in the middle of the pack.

Back
Top Bottom