2017 Fishing/Ice Fishing Thread

Great day on the Lake today with a friend in kayaks.

I ended up catching a black crappie, two pickerel and a personal best large mouth bass. Missed a ton of hook sets.

Fished for a bit today. Caught three big chain pickerel in about three feet of water. I seem to be encountering them a lot more than I used to. Anyone else?

Pickerel are actually good eating...the trick is to through the fillets in a blender bones and all (yes as you will never get all those little bones out) and then make fish cakes. If you're gonna keep em, you best eat them!

Pickerel are actually good eating...the trick is to through the fillets in a blender bones and all (yes as you will never get all those little bones out) and then make fish cakes. If you're gonna keep em, you best eat them!
If it was another body of water, I'd think about that. Lake Winthrop in Holliston is Dioxins Central, I heard.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If it was another body of water, I'd think about that. Lake Winthrop in Holliston is Dioxins Central, I heard.

yeah it's on the fish consumption advisory list. [sad2]

First keeper 2017 for me. Saturday evening at one of my favorite spots near Barnstable Harbor. Raked my own sand eels, threw them out on a double rig in water no deeper than 3', and bam... 30.5. Biggest one I ever pulled out of this spot was 42" and that was in less than 2' of water.

FIRSTKEEPER2017.jpg

First keeper 2017 for me. Saturday evening at one of my favorite spots near Barnstable Harbor. Raked my own sand eels, threw them out on a double rig in water no deeper than 3', and bam... 30.5. Biggest one I ever pulled out of this spot was 42" and that was in less than 2' of water.

View attachment 200481
Nice fish! I'm hoping for a decent fall run this year. The summer got too busy for me to make it down and I'm missing it!

Striper fishing is exceptional this year. Been out 7-10 days this year without the skunk. Multiple fish/hour from shore.

View attachment 200481

Nice fish! I am hitting the Canal for the first time this season early morning Wednesday.

Nice fish! I am hitting the Canal for the first time this season early morning Wednesday.

I live close to the canal but I really haven't spent much time fishing there. I grew up in Yarmouth/ Dennis so I do most of my fishing around that area. I go with what I know, and honestly I know jack shit about the correct tides/ currents/ spots at the canal. Several friends have offered to bring me along and I just haven't nutted up. I got as far as putting 50lb braid on one of my Penn reels at the beginning of this season and that reel is still sitting in the basement.

Got back into the fishing bug. Just need someone to kayak bass fish with. More of a quantity bs quality day. Tons of hits on the frog but kept missing hook wet. My love hate with the frog.

Got back into the fishing bug. Just need someone to kayak bass fish with. More of a quantity bs quality day. Tons of hits on the frog but kept missing hook wet. My love hate with the frog.

Trying to hit the ponds in my kayak as well, where's this? Been out on lake Winthrop holliston so far this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forget the frog and go with a wacky rigged worm...you'll hook a lot more of them! Great pics!

I do enjoy a wacky rig. Can't seem to hook up on a Texas. I'm searching for a good crankbait to use in 10 feet or less of open water. Typically stick to wacky rig/buzzbait/ or a heddon torpedo. Need to expand my skills to other lures and baits.

I do enjoy a wacky rig. Can't seem to hook up on a Texas. I'm searching for a good crankbait to use in 10 feet or less of open water. Typically stick to wacky rig/buzzbait/ or a heddon torpedo. Need to expand my skills to other lures and baits.

Strike King KVD is my crankbait of choice. I'll pass you one next time we go out in the yaks.

Forget the frog and go with a wacky rigged worm...you'll hook a lot more of them! Great pics!

I use wacky 90% of the time lol. I love it. What I used the other day. I have a rod with a frog tied on it all the time. And one set up for wacky with the O rings

- - - Updated - - -

I need a place to shore fish on my drive home from Chicopee Friday morning. I have like 40min to fish

Skunked at canal and it was packed. Must have been 30 plus guys at the east end and I didn't see anyone hook up. They where breaking chasing mackerel just couldn't get on any.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

best crank bait for me, Strike King Series 5XD Crankbait - Yellow Perch its like bass candy...
s-l1000.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I spent the last 8 days in east Tennessee fishing Watts Bar and Chikamauga. This was my 4th time fishing there with my old roommate, we've both caught lots of bass before and decided to go big. These TVA lakes are awesome and with Chickamauga introducing Florida strain bass in the early 2000s and Watts Bar adding them later we thought had a good chance. We did catch lots of small and large mouth bass and a few blue catfish but no big ones, maybe next time. I saw a golden eagle, lots of osprey catching fish to feed their young, blue heron everywhere you look, lots of deer and I even saw a black bear walking on the side of the road.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 52
  • fullsizeoutput_fa4.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_fa4.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Some quality time with my 15 year old Hannah.
Increasingly rare at this age...Caught 2 crappies but it wasnt about the fish.
The girl does love to fish....I guess I got that right. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Sorry for sideways IPhone pics...

best crank bait for me, Strike King Series 5XD Crankbait - Yellow Perch its like bass candy...
s-l1000.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have that same lure, a friend of mine told me it was one of two that were all I'd ever need. I never caught a thing with it or the other one.

I have a tiny strike king lure that everything loves, except big fish. the only problem is even a sunfish can swallow it. I like to use an Ultralight rod and reel.
I just bought a 6' StCroix ultralight rod and need to find a good reel for it. I was using a 4'er.

Last edited:
Spent the past week fishing off the beach of the southern Maine coast, and experienced some of the best striper fishing in years. Fly, spinning or chunking - all produced. Of the 3-4 sessions per day I got in, I only got skunked twice. Some sessions were non-stop catching action, with most fish being sub-keeper sized with some 30ish fish also in the mix. No 40s this trip though. The micros from last year are now a bit larger, and lot of fun on fly gear.

Back
Top Bottom