2017 Fishing/Ice Fishing Thread

admcd

NES Member
Anyone having any luck so far?

I snuck out on Monday night in the snow/sleet/rain/grossness to hit Dug Pond in Natick with my fly kit. Few nibbles but nothing to pull in. It's been too warm for ice in the neck of the woods, so nobody is ice fishing.

Ive been thinkng about ice fishing this year, but not with the ice where i would go. Real weak winter IMO

I went out ice fishing/skating with the kids, fam, friends the day after Christmas and ended up with a tri maleolar fracture - translation, way broken leg/ankle. I'm going to derby even though the doctor doesn't want me on a snowmobile yet!! Friends/family have been tearing it up, lots of good ice in NH.

Skated on the pond behind my house after three very cold days and a foot of snow, shoveled of a spot and had a ball. i was planing to try fishing the next day but it rained that night and reached 50 the next day. No ice for the last four weeks.

Open water everywhere...
My 18 year old son and his pals really want to get out on the ice this winter.
He keeps ranting about global warming...[rolleyes]

Did well on Lake Champlain this weekend .up in North Hero. Bunch of nice pike and a few perch between my Cousins and I

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Maine by Augusta folks. Huge ice fishing tournament in Monmouth this past weekend. 3 hours from MA. Over a 1000 people on the ice. Sounds like a lot but a huge lake.

Looking like a nice day coming next Saturday. Hoping to be able to hit the Swift or a local pond for some fishing.

Of course, now that I've said that we'll have three more feet of snow between now and then... [puke][banghead][banghead][banghead]

Doesnt anyone fish in the Berkshires? Theres only been a handful of days where the ice wasnt safe on some of these smaller lakes and ponds. Went ice fishing sat and sunday in Otis. There was 8" of ice. Caught a few small bass and a ton of perch. Late January we were pike fishing, caught a few 10-12lbs and a 17 pounder! Gotta go north or west to the high elevations to get good ice. These winters have been crazy with the lack of cold.

Trout Stocking has begun! Can't wait to get out there!

I guess so, I've been seeing Round pond in Haverhill packed with people fishing from shore and boat over the passed couple of days. Good luck to the trout fishermen out there, never could get into fishing for them.

Went out on Whitehall over the weekend on my kayak, just to check out the ice situation. Half of the lake is still frozen, but retreating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever fished Lake Winthrop in Holliston? Wife and I are purchasing a new home nearby (walking distance). I gather that it was a good bass lake a few years ago, but don't know if that's changed.

I fish out of the Westport river in 17' Whaler, My go to rigs are light spin tackle for throwing sluggos and small kastmasters and plugs to schoolies,fluke and breaking fish. I would like to target some keeper Stripers this season and want to set up a rig for trolling tube and worm,umbrellas or whatever is suggested.
You don't have to give me all the secrets,just give me some advice to get started.

Last edited:
2017 Fishing Thread

Took today off from work to go groundfishing with my dad and two friends. Absolutely slayed the haddock! Got our limit which is 12 fish per person for a total of 48!

Awesome day on the water. Hardly any wind, it was like a lake out there - 12 miles off Gloucester.

Fish ranged from 17" (legal length) -24". My buddy Jonny lost one of the biggest haddock I've seen. It was at least 3ft long and it pulled the hook right next to the boat...

All in all it was a great day. Beats being at the office that's for sure.

6c80e799455e770b9d3b4eb50076b5f3.png

Now I'm enjoying some for dinner tonight. Yum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom