• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2017/18 Hunting Thread!!

Anybody coyote hunting?
I plan to get out in a couple days when the temp goes up a bit.
I'm going to try sitting in my tree stand with shotgun or ML. There are tracks everywhere and we hear them howling at night behind the house...

I'll be out there with the electronic call if we get some decent weather. Got some BT nosler 55 grain .243's made up going close to 4000 that should explode on impact.

Went hog hunting with my Dad over New Year's weekend. He is almost 84 and has a bit of trouble getting around, so we went to a game preserve in central Missouri (he lives near St. Louis). The one hanging is mine and the other is my Dad and his. Mine was a 100 yard shot with a .30-06 I reloaded myself. I used a 165 gr Nosler Partition bullet with 49 gr of IMR 4064. My Dad got his at 50 yards using his Henry in .45-70 govt. His ammo was Hornady Leverevolution.

Attachments

• pig pic 26.jpg
    pig pic 26.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 95
  • pig pic 15.jpg
    pig pic 15.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Awesome to see you and your Dad killing hogs.....my dad and I went on a couple hog hunts and brings back the memories.

local-residents-turn-looting-food-supplies-snowstorm-fears.gif

Took advantage of my "flex time" schedule yesterday and went in early so I could get out at 2pm for a little hunting in the afternoon with the wife and son. I was thinking the fresh snow would be a good opportunity to track some bunnies on the powerlines on the late afternoon after the snow stopped or possibly head to a hot spot I know that's loaded with red squirrel (I know Grey's are out of season now). But the woods were absolutely silent. No tracks. No sound. No wind. It was beautiful. But no game to be seen.

Scout put a rooster out of the corn on the Westboro WMA this am.
Nice colors against the snow. It's been a few years since I've seen a holdover.
Tough bird to make it through that cold spell we had...
That's awesome. I flushed a hen on some powerlines last february when I was pushing around for rabbits. I mounted my gun and started the swing but pulled up! Instinct!

Hunting season ain't over yet! Just booked a show shoe hare trip in Maine for the boys school vacation week. Love chasing those big rabbits!

What’s still in season? Very new to hunting and kind of unsure about what’s worth chasing and what isn’t. I know coyote goes through early March? Also crow? Why might someone hunt crow?

What’s still in season? Very new to hunting and kind of unsure about what’s worth chasing and what isn’t. I know coyote goes through early March? Also crow? Why might someone hunt crow?
Farmers hunt crow.

Cottontail in mass is open till end of February.

I'll be hunting snowshoe hare in Maine that is a long season....Oct through March with a 4 per day bag limit.

Red squirrel is also year round no closed season no bag limit in mass and if you can find a good patch of woods that holds a good population of them is alot of fun and actually good eating.....just got to hit a few. I know a few great spots for reds. .410 or 20 gauge with light loads size 6-7 1/2 shot work great on them.

Last edited:

If you do hunt crow, be aware that it's only open on Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays.

"The crow season is open every Monday, Friday, and Saturday of each week from July 1 - April 10. You cannot hunt crow during the 2-week shotgun deer season."

Outdoors: It's not very appetizing to eat crow after hunting around here

I went this morning with my buddy. I brought a .22 and hoped to see some rabbit, Fox, or coyote. He was looking for the same, but since he had his shotgun he was also looking for crow. There were about 5 that flew over that he shot at but no luck. He’d been reading about how they were alright to eat and thought he’d take a shot.

I went this morning with my buddy. I brought a .22 and hoped to see some rabbit, Fox, or coyote. He was looking for the same, but since he had his shotgun he was also looking for crow. There were about 5 that flew over that he shot at but no luck. He’d been reading about how they were alright to eat and thought he’d take a shot.
At least you got out there. Can't shoot anything from the couch.

What load/choke was your buddy using in that shotgun?

Last edited:
At least you got out there. Can't shoot anything from the couch.

What load/choke was your buddy using in that shotgun?
When we got there he tried to change the choke to full using a quarter (since her forgot his choke tool) but couldn’t get it out....I think whichever is just under full because he was switching to full. I’m a shotgun know-nothing so forgive me. Also, he uses steel shot...maybe 6 shot? I don’t remember really. It is notable that with what I assume was the same setup he hit a squirrel at like 20y and it didn’t die. That was back before New Years. Crow was maybe 20 yards too but that’s just a wild ass guess.

When we got there he tried to change the choke to full using a quarter (since her forgot his choke tool) but couldn’t get it out....I think whichever is just under full because he was switching to full. I’m a shotgun know-nothing so forgive me. Also, he uses steel shot...maybe 6 shot? I don’t remember really. It is notable that with what I assume was the same setup he hit a squirrel at like 20y and it didn’t die. That was back before New Years. Crow was maybe 20 yards too but that’s just a wild ass guess.
The setup sounds ok.....Sounds like your buddy needs to practice shooting some trap lol

Back
Top Bottom