• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Spring Turkey Season:

Anyone still out there trying? I've got one more attempt Saturday morning. Very seriously considering sleeping in my car the night before to get in extra early. Wonder if I can convince my wife that it's a good idea.

I slept in this am (6:30) but hope to get out for a couple of hours tomorrow.

My wife texted me a 9:30 to say the dog just chased a "huge turkey with one of those long beard things" out of the backyard.
When I'm hunting I see only lone hens and when I'm not hunting I see big gobblers everywhere...!

yup. tried to hit one with the car this morning on my street! LOL
I swerved to miss one on Saturday afternoon because the wife was in the car. She doesn't mind me killing things because they taste good. She just doesn't want to be there when it happens.

This was likely the last Tom I'll see until Saturday at 12:05 when I'll walk to my car and there will be 30 of the suckers.
That is usually how it goes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That is usually how it goes.

Sadly it was the same for my 2015 deer season. Had a nice buck come within feet of my bumper. Sitting out in my stand I couldn't get one to come within bow range.

funny-deer-3.jpg

Turkey gods have not been kind to me. I have seen and heard turkeys every time I've gone out with no luck so far.

Last time I chose new spot, later moved back to my usual and a huge tom was strutting 10 feet from where I normally set up my blind. I spooked him, of course.

Had two hens literally peek into my blind...no males with them.

Had two fly over me while I sat.

I'll be out there next two weekends hoping one walks in front of my gun.

I was out in a WMA this morning, at about 5:45 someone walking their dog walked by me twice, about 100 yards away. Good part was the dog was wearing a bell and trolling the fields, I never heard a peep and left an hour later.

I was out in a WMA this morning, at about 5:45 someone walking their dog walked by me twice, about 100 yards away. Good part was the dog was wearing a bell and trolling the fields, I never heard a peep and left an hour later.

Nothing worse than dogwalkers, they are relentless. Insane times, any weather. Happens to me alot during coyote season.

Wish they had a rule that WMA's were not to be used for walking dogs.

Nothing worse than dogwalkers, they are relentless. Insane times, any weather. Happens to me alot during coyote season.

Wish they had a rule that WMA's were not to be used for walking dogs.
If your far enough away and see them coming, let a round go in a safe direction. Just to get their attention and let them know it's a hunting season.

If your far enough away and see them coming, let a round go in a safe direction. Just to get their attention and let them know it's a hunting season.

I always opt for the coyote group howl sound on my caller, almost always stops them in their tracks.

Turkey season I stay in the deep woods, rarely see any one.

Until he says "that guy was shooting at me" and I wind up in the pokey cuddled up with Bubba. I hear you but out here in Western MA the Amherst liberals could mount a witch hunt.

Well, my season is over. Was a beautiful morning and I enjoyed every minute of the season, but I'm coming out with tags unpunched. Still, not a bad view to start my day"
Notabadmorningview.jpg

Had a close encounter with a turkey. After I left the woods and was on my way home. Beardless hen or I might have lost control of my car and had a terrible and tragic accident (for the bird).
henturkey.jpg

Heart breaking finish Friday. Had a nice big gobbler all fired up, about 20 yards away above me on a ridge just after sunrise. I've never heard one respond that much, he was going nuts. Couldn't quite get a clear line of sight and got impatient. I take two steps from where I was sitting, step on a wet rock and tumble. Turkey was gone before I got out my first profanity. Would have been my first one too.

NH goes to 5/31.

Leave it to MA to start early and end early. I'm no expert but I don't think the "rut" really kicks in until mid-May.

I bought a Cabela's vest last year; not the tactical one you are looking at but similar. I found it real handy for carrying calls, decoys, and supplies.
And the padded seat makes it much more comfortable and dry when sitting. I also picked up a 3-legged camo stool this year for sitting in hedgerows or where there is no base of a tree to sit at.

IMHO, I would go with the more simple vest unless you like to carry tons of stuff.
That one seems to have way to many pockets and compartments...

Last edited:
NH goes to 5/31.

Leave it to MA to start early and end early. I'm no expert but I don't think the "rut" really kicks in until mid-May.

I bought a Cabela's vest last year; not the tactical one you are looking at but similar. I found it real handy for carrying calls, decoys, and supplies.
And the padded seat makes it much more comfortable and dry when sitting. I also picked up a 3-legged camo stool this year for sitting in hedgerows or where there is no base of a tree to sit at.

IMHO, I would go with the more simple vest unless you like to carry tons of stuff.
That one seems to have way to many pockets and compartments...

I got sick of carrying everything in my hunting pack, so I might be overcompensating. I don't carry that much (Two decoys that fold up, box call, blowout kit, water, snack, spare ammo), but I liked the look of the two I linked.

I see one on there for $30 which I might give a try. It's not as tacticool and doesn't have a kickstand, but I mostly hunt timber and trails with trees so it should work. Thanks for the advice!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom