• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Hunting Thread

Anyone coyote hunting? They've been howling like crazy behind my house.
I may swing by Dick's a grab an e-call to supplement the rabbit squealer I have.

Not til after deer next week. But it's odd that I haven't heard them behind the house in several weeks. Usually it's much more frequent. But I can't wait.

i got another deer this morning. little more expensive to reload the round i was shooting. will be looking up the cost of replacement bumpers for my truck.....

D'oh! First week of shotgun deer (In Mass) I slammed on the breaks to let the first of 6 deer run by my car! [wink]

I hunted rocky gutter wma yesterday and tried to do everything right but saw nothing. I'll go all in next week and hope that just time in the woods pays off.

i got another deer this morning. little more expensive to reload the round i was shooting. will be looking up the cost of replacement bumpers for my truck.....

Dang. Hope you got to keep it anyway.

Muzzleloader meets ice?

ec15933d9409150d5122b52b034dcb61.jpg

Last edited:
Finished muzzle loader season with a bang. My group pushed a large heard with 2 hours left in the season. 2 of my buddies filled their doe tags on that drive. A large older doe at 130 pounds and a 90 pounder! Plenty of meat for the winter this year! They helped my son harvest his first deer on opening day of shotgun season and I've spent the last couple weeks pushing deer for them. That's how it's done men! When driving is legal we help each other fill our tags. 9 guys in my group and 5 tags filled this year. Awesome stuff. Finished the season cracking a couple cold ones and that's the way it goes.

Now it's time for snowshoe hare season!

Finished muzzle loader season with a bang. My group pushed a large heard with 2 hours left in the season. 2 of my buddies filled their doe tags on that drive. A large older doe at 130 pounds and a 90 pounder! Plenty of meat for the winter this year! They helped my son harvest his first deer on opening day of shotgun season and I've spent the last couple weeks pushing deer for them. That's how it's done men! When driving is legal we help each other fill our tags. 9 guys in my group and 5 tags filled this year. Awesome stuff. Finished the season cracking a couple cold ones and that's the way it goes.

Now it's time for snowshoe hare season!

Awesome way to end the year! My group (5 of us) went out Saturday morning and we moved a few deer around but no one got a clean shot. We already bagged four deer during shotgun season so there wasn't much "sense of urgency" to get it done during ML. It was a nice day to get out there anyhow.

I'm looking forward to two more Saturdays of duck hunting, and then I am going to put some real effort into rabbit hunting this year. I have never really tried, as I don't have a hunting dog. But I'm going to take the old 16 gauge for walks on Saturdays until end of February and see what I can scare up.

Awesome way to end the year! My group (5 of us) went out Saturday morning and we moved a few deer around but no one got a clean shot. We already bagged four deer during shotgun season so there wasn't much "sense of urgency" to get it done during ML. It was a nice day to get out there anyhow.

I'm looking forward to two more Saturdays of duck hunting, and then I am going to put some real effort into rabbit hunting this year. I have never really tried, as I don't have a hunting dog. But I'm going to take the old 16 gauge for walks on Saturdays until end of February and see what I can scare up.

Where are u duck hunting still?

There is a great guide service in Maine. Pine Grove Lodge. Bingham Maine. 200 bucks includes lodging snowshoes 3 meals and the hunt. Worth every penny.

Excellent. I'm convinced this is the only way to really have a chance in Ma. Except for suburban archery.

I'm moving on to coyote after yet another disappointing deer season on public land.

Where are u duck hunting still?

There is a great guide service in Maine. Pine Grove Lodge. Bingham Maine. 200 bucks includes lodging snowshoes 3 meals and the hunt. Worth every penny.

Duck hunting on Cape. I left work early today, sat in my blind and got up to leave at sunset without seeing any ducks. Two minutes after I had made my way back to the truck, four mallards came right in. Ha.

Excellent. I'm convinced this is the only way to really have a chance in Ma. Except for suburban archery.

I'm moving on to coyote after yet another disappointing deer season on public land.

3 of the 5 deer we got as a group this year were on WMA lands.

Trying to find some new recipes for the squirrels I have stacked like cord wood in the drop freezer. Going to thaw some out and try this:

http://honest-food.net/2014/03/31/squirrel-stew-recipe-paprika/

The guy runs the "hunter angler Gardner cook" Facebook page and also authored "buck buck moose".....A cookbook on processing bug game from after the shot to the table. Good stuff if you are interested in "creative" ways to prepare wild game.

Trying to find some new recipes for the squirrels I have stacked like cord wood in the drop freezer. Going to thaw some out and try this:

http://honest-food.net/2014/03/31/squirrel-stew-recipe-paprika/

The guy runs the "hunter angler Gardner cook" Facebook page and also authored "buck buck moose".....A cookbook on processing bug game from after the shot to the table. Good stuff if you are interested in "creative" ways to prepare wild game.

This recipe came out amazing. I used a pound of linguica for the sausage and found "smoked paprika" and used that. Chose some fresh collards for the greens. Trick with squirrel meat is slow cook......90 minutes of the lowest setting on the stove. Fell off the bone and tasted great.

Last edited:
Grabbed a couple copies of 2017 mass fish hunt guide from walmart earlier, got home and noticed someone already snagged the kittery coupons out of them!

Was hoping to use one towards a trail cam, oh well ill try again..

How come I can hunt rabbits until the end of February but I cant hunt squirrels after January 2nd?

The reproductive cycle of the Eastern Grey Tree Rat? Or, just Fish & Game with their head up their 4th point of contact....? [thinking]

How come I can hunt rabbits until the end of February but I cant hunt squirrels after January 2nd?

The reproductive cycle of the Eastern Grey Tree Rat? Or, just Fish & Game with their head up their 4th point of contact....? [thinking]

Gray squirrels begin breeding at about one year old. Yearling female gray squirrels usually have only one litter a year, but older female gray squirrels usually breed twice a year. Winter breeding is from January to February and summer breeding runs for a longer period, from May to July. Whether or not a female has a second litter usually depends on the availability of food.

Some states have a longer season on grey squirrel. Seems mass sticks to the science and if they have a chance to be breeding the season closes. But....There is a winter breeding season for them if the weather is mild. I took ALOT of grey squirrels this year. Seems the mild winter last year has the population up. I don't mind letting em have a break. Lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom