• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Hunting Thread

Congrats to 45 and dropride and a few others!

This little guy came in to about 30 yards and gave me almost a perfect broadside. Thought it was a doe but turns out to be a younger buck, I'm guessing 8 months or so old. Double lung and he went 15 to 20 yards. I'll check him in in the morning. I almost feel bad for how small he is but from what I hear the area I'm in is under-hunted. Major take away from this one is how much less personal shotgun is vs archery. And dressing went much much better.

One tag left...

92df112a3da823a3c1a80deb21a51213.jpg

8592b23226ddc9ebbfd35e7d3496bc9e.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

It's easy to misjudge a skipper when they are alone; especially when you are just getting started.

Congratulations,

Bob

Changed it up- was in early (5AM). Headed to stand a different route to not disturbed. Nothing but a yote. Ran by in range but took I a pass as didn't want to clear the woods.

Today at 6:52AM, I had a nice buck show up at 30 yards. My shot (due to the angle) just missed his spine, near the lower neck line...but the 12 guage slug dropped him in his tracks. Both lungs & heart took the full brunt... 128# 8PT 3.5 years old.

Good luck everyone!
2016-8pt-128lbs-down4.jpg

Very nice! Congrats!

I didn't hunt the morning but this afternoon had no activity except for a gray squirrel that was really asking for it. I saw the white squirrel again for a split second, too.

No morning hunt for me, but got out from 1:30 to 4:30 when I lost my front sight in the gloaming. No deer, no squirrels. Heard a few birds. Back at em Monday morning.

Half way through my shotgun season and starting to feel a bit of pressure. I keep telling myself it's supposed to be fun, but there's a voice in the back of my head saying something else.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Just got back home this morning from my trip out to Beaufort County. I was a weird week. Cold in mornings and night early in the week but mid-week was unseasonably warm, up in the high 70s. It got cooler the last day or so though.

I saw seven deer total and killed two small does. One at 200 yards across a soybean field (dragging her out sucked) and another at 110 yards in a shooting lane in the woods.

It wasn't the most productive week but I like being out there more than anything.

Today at 6:52AM, I had a nice buck show up at 30 yards. My shot (due to the angle) just missed his spine, near the lower neck line...but the 12 guage slug dropped him in his tracks. Both lungs & heart took the full brunt... 128# 8PT 3.5 years old.

Good luck everyone!
Awesome!

Good luck everyone!
View attachment 184129

That's a beauty! Congrats.

IMG_4570.jpg
Shot this 8 pt. This am. Zone 8. 101lbs, been battling, 2 tines busted off. State biologist said 1.5 yrs old. Healthy deer, lost some lbs during rut. Lotta ticks out ther, be careful.

Thx TSL001, pulled 8 off my pants by noon. I use permethrin (sawyers). All were either dead or close to it. The stuff works.

Speaking of ticks in Zone 11, my first one during archery had 2. This button buck I just got must have had 100 or more all right around the elbows. When I was checking it in another hunter brought in almost an identical deer also covered in the same spots. I was surprised to see how many were still out there.

No morning hunt for me, but got out from 1:30 to 4:30 when I lost my front sight in the gloaming. No deer, no squirrels. Heard a few birds. Back at em Monday morning.

Half way through my shotgun season and starting to feel a bit of pressure. I keep telling myself it's supposed to be fun, but there's a voice in the back of my head saying something else.

I hear you there.

9 days out 2 misses. One shoulder hit archery on nice buck he shook it after 100 yards...

I hear you there.

9 days out 2 misses. One shoulder hit archery on nice buck he shook it after 100 yards...

Here's a little tip that may or may not help... Take it for what it's worth...

Most of the mast has been cleaned up ad this point. So hunting hardwood ridges and flats isn't going to be as productive. 90% of the deer's diet is browse at this point... So find the "green". That maybe green brier, cedar, or dog wood. The deer will nip the succulent ends of these plants. Most of the nutrients deer need are in the bark of these plants. So they nip the tiny ends of these plants. The tiny ends have a high ratio of bark to wood - which is of no nutritional value. So you need to look very CLOSELY at the vegetation you're hunting in. You need to see the forest through the trees. If it's all 6 foot tall whips and mature timber then there probably isn't much browse. If you don't see tiny tiny branches with something green on the end then you're not hunting where there's food. Consequently - there won't be many deer. I like to find bodies of water in the late season. Not because the deer need the water - they don't. They can and will drink from a puddle in the swamp or woods. But bodies of water like creeks, ponds, rivers, etc. result in a break in the tree canopy. This allows sunlight to reach the forest floor. That in turn facilitates growth of a thick underbrush - a.k.a. browse... a.k.a. food.... a.k.a. bedding... Clear cuts and field edges are also places where this will happen. Basically any break in the canopy where sunlight can reach the forest floor. Find a spot like that which is also away from people a.k.a. pressure - and you'll have a chance to get on some deer. Just be aware that changes in the tree canopy also create swirling winds. They can be tough spots to hunt. Getting in the right spot just takes time/experience.

That's where I see more deer this time of year... Take it for what it's worth - maybe it helps. Maybe it doesn't. But I would give it a try.

You need to be mobile... get out of the fixed stand that you've hunted all season... the one that the deer have you patterned to and now don't go near. Dust off that climber or portable hang on set and sticks and go where the deer are. Deer aren't travailing far at this point. So you have to go to them..

Last edited:
Spot on above^

i was heading down a rural road just before sundown yesterday,
and spotted 5 does grazing at the edge of a lot on the grass.

after passing the telltale sign for 2 miles back of many pick up trucks dotting the side of the road.
who were set up in the darkened woods.[grin]

Here's a little tip that may or may not help... Take it for what it's worth...

Most of the mast has been cleaned up ad this point. So hunting hardwood ridges and flats isn't going to be as productive. 90% of the deer's diet is browse at this point... So find the "green". That maybe green brier, cedar, or dog wood. The deer will nip the succulent ends of these plants. Most of the nutrients deer need are in the bark of these plants. So they nip the tiny ends of these plants. The tiny ends have a high ratio of bark to wood - which is of no nutritional value. So you need to look very CLOSELY at the vegetation you're hunting in. You need to see the forest through the trees. If it's all 6 foot tall whips and mature timber then there probably isn't much browse. If you don't see tiny tiny branches with something green on the end then you're not hunting where there's food. Consequently - there won't be many deer. I like to find bodies of water in the late season. Not because the deer need the water - they don't. They can and will drink from a puddle in the swamp or woods. But bodies of water like creeks, ponds, rivers, etc. result in a break in the tree canopy. This allows sunlight to reach the forest floor. That in turn facilitates growth of a thick underbrush - a.k.a. browse... a.k.a. food.... a.k.a. bedding... Clear cuts and field edges are also places where this will happen. Basically any break in the canopy where sunlight can reach the forest floor. Find a spot like that which is also away from people a.k.a. pressure - and you'll have a chance to get on some deer. Just be aware that changes in the tree canopy also create swirling winds. They can be tough spots to hunt. Getting in the right spot just takes time/experience.

That's where I see more deer this time of year... Take it for what it's worth - maybe it helps. Maybe it doesn't. But I would give it a try.

You need to be mobile... get out of the fixed stand that you've hunted all season... the one that the deer have you patterned to and now don't go near. Dust off that climber or portable hang on set and sticks and go where the deer are. Deer aren't travailing far at this point. So you have to go to them..
So related question. I've got a cam set up in such an area but it's been dead since the start of November. Maybe it's time to setup closer to there?
113a588e9cc3c9226f8cf83d268ad487.jpg

There's a lot more green to the right of what you can see. It's a swampy gully with decently thick woods around it and a logging road (disused) to the east.

Not a bad week. Big one is 176 pounds, 13 points bagged by my brother.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1204161036a_Burst01.jpg
    1204161036a_Burst01.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Nothing at all in the morning or evening yesterday for me. Although I will say it was the first time sleeping in my car between the morning and evening hunts.

The guns were going non stop to one side of me where they usually do some drives and I could here them also coming another location pretty far away me.

I am not seeing any indication (besides some random hoof prints) of deer where I am as I try out new areas. With the the track chair still not fixed and the physical issues not healing, and now an issue with the heal on my broken leg it is time to pack it in for the year I think. I have probably said that once or twice but it is time to start looking for new areas and such for next years season.

Congrats to all that got one and to those who may get one before the season ends.

So related question. I've got a cam set up in such an area but it's been dead since the start of November. Maybe it's time to setup closer to there?
113a588e9cc3c9226f8cf83d268ad487.jpg

There's a lot more green to the right of what you can see. It's a swampy gully with decently thick woods around it and a logging road (disused) to the east.

That area doesn't look thick enough. If you can see for 40+ yards on the ground which that picture seems to indicate - then deer won't go there. At least not during the day. They want to be either in concealment or right on the edge of it. Find the shit that's so think you need a machete to get through. That's where they'll be hanging around. That area had activity dry up because the mast got cleaned up and with no green on the vegetation there's no concealment. That's a lose lose for whitetail.

Example I found using Google.
stock-photo-trophy-white-tail-buck-camouflaged-in-the-thick-bushes-493948474.jpg

Last edited:
That area doesn't look thick enough. If you can see for 40+ yards on the ground which that picture seems to indicate - then deer won't go there. At least not during the day. They want to be either in concealment or right on the edge of it. Find the shit that's so think you need a machete to get through. That's where they'll be hanging around. That area had activity dry up because the mast got cleaned up and with no green on the vegetation there's no concealment. That's a lose lose for whitetail.

stock-photo-trophy-white-tail-buck-camouflaged-in-the-thick-bushes-493948474.jpg

Gotcha! thanks! Think I've got a spot nearby that fits that bill.

Depends on the weather/time of year I've shot dear in wide open hardwoods and in thick whippy beech trees.

That was the point of the conversation if you read from the beginning... [grin]
You were both right and wrong.

Right in suggesting I look for thicker stuff with green. I did and had a nice hunt. The doe was feeding on the greens.

Wrong in that the doe came from a pretty open path.

She was the first deer I ever saw in the woods by myself.

She was also the first deer I ever shot at (twice) and missed (twice).

I know it was a clean miss because I and another hunter (Hi, Brian, if you're on here) followed her trail for about an hour. No blood.

There is no right or wrong in hunting. We're only playing the odds. What you want to do is stack as many factors in your favor as you can to give yourself the best odds you can have. Even then odds are still low - but better than if you don't stack them. Most of the time - the deer win. It's never easy.

Glad you got on a deer. That's a big first step. More time at the range seems necessary. [smile]

In this case where you had a deer coming in from a less thick area... Deer like to bed in the thick stuff but they don't like to walk through it. So when they're traveling you'll catch them on the edge of that cover. If the area has no pressure you may catch them in less thick areas during the day. But this is where it's a judgement call on your part. It varies from each piece of woods. You need to assess your environment as a hunter and make the call. There are no absolutes. All we can impart is a bit of advise to help you on the right track.

I wouldn't hunt that same spot again. Odds go down with each sit. Deer come through under cover of darkness, detect your scent trail, and then avoid the area. So - you need to adapt again and anticipate where they'll be coming and going now. It's a game of chess... and it's your move...

......gun shots don't leave good blood trails in my experience (shotgun slugs can't speak to rifle). Not like archery. Slugs are designed to enter but not exit as you want all that energy all deposited in the animal. Hence expansion. I've put a slug into a couple deer and had zero blood as well. It happens (gut shots for example). One thing you want to always do is watch the animal immediately after the shot. Their reaction tells you a lot. Did the animal kick it's hind legs before bounding off, was there a poof of hair at the moment of the shot, did the animal run towards water?.... can tell you if you connected and if you should back out or take up the trail right away.

Last edited:
There is no right or wrong in hunting. We're only playing the odds. What you want to do is stack as many factors in your favor as you can to give yourself the best odds you can have. Even then odds are still low - but better than if you don't stack them. Most of the time - the deer win. It's never easy.

Glad you got on a deer. That's a big first step. More time at the range seems necessary. [smile]

In this case where you had a deer coming in from a less thick area... Deer like to bed in the thick stuff but they don't like to walk through it. So when they're traveling you'll catch them on the edge of that cover. If the area has no pressure you may catch them in less thick areas during the day. But this is where it's a judgement call on your part. It varies from each piece of woods. You need to assess your environment as a hunter and make the call. There are no absolutes. All we can impart is a bit of advise to help you on the right track.

I wouldn't hunt that same spot again. Odds go down with each sit. Deer come through under cover of darkness, detect your scent trail, and then avoid the area. So - you need to adapt again and anticipate where they'll be coming and going now. It's a game of chess... and it's your move...

......gun shots don't leave good blood trails in my experience (shotgun slugs can't speak to rifle). Not like archery. Slugs are designed to enter but not exit as you want all that energy all deposited in the animal. Hence expansion. I've put a slug into a couple deer and had zero blood as well. It happens (gut shots for example). One thing you want to always do is watch the animal immediately after the shot. Their reaction tells you a lot. Did the animal kick it's hind legs before bounding off, was there a poof of hair at the moment of the shot, did the animal run towards water?.... can tell you if you connected and if you should back out or take up the trail right away.

Can't say enough about playing the odds! I don't have a ton of deer in my resume but I learn more and more each season. This year I learned how choke points can shift the odds in your favor. Fence lines..... Deep banks on rivers. Especially on public land where other hunters may push deer around. They barriers can funnel the deer. Play those odds. My son got his first deer this year when we sat at the end of a fence line...... Deer can move any direction but with a fence it takes one direction away and increases your odds. Just got to think this stuff through.

Last edited:
This. I watched a couple of does come down about 30 yards from me during archery. I drew back only to hear something else crashing through the mountain laurel and was a small buck. Spooked the does and I couldn't get clear kill shot.

Don't shoot at the does right away either.... This time of year sometimes there may be a buck straggling behind... [grin] Watch em for a while, keep an eye on their back trail and wait if you can..

Back
Top Bottom