• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Hunting Thread

Went out this morning and froze my ass off, I could only make it about 1 hour 45 mins in the stand before I had to head back. Nothing but squirrels and crows...

Thinking tomorrow I may sleep in, getting frustrated this season.

I hear you and feel your pain. I have seen more deer and turkeys in my yard than in the field. Frustrating to say the least.

Been a lot of big deer shot up here this year.
Here is a buddy's buddies 267 pounder. FB_IMG_1479668837368.jpg

Seen some facebook pics of a 281 and 285 pounder. Those are some big old deer.

I was lucky enough to tag out Thanksgiving morning with this little guy. Only one I got a shot at this year. I hate to admit it, but I was sitting in a rocking chair out in the barn with a cup of coffee dunking a stale scone my wife made when he came walking out. FOT4885.JPG

I've been running the little heat packs in my boots and mittens the past couple times I've gone out. They have made tolerating the cold much easier until it finally tears through my core and I have to head back. I haven't had cold hands/feet since I started using them which has definitely allowed me to stay out longer.

I first thought "those stupid things don't work and they are for old people and sissies", well, consider me an old sissy then I guess.

A trick I used when hunting in a box or ground blind was to bring a sleeping bag into the stand with me (make sure the outer material is soft, not the noisy nylon crap). I would open it halfway, put two hand warmers in the bottom and then take off my boots and get into the thing while sitting in the chair. Two more hand warmers would go in the small of my back and I would zip it up three quarters up my body. With a good cold weather hat and jacket you are good to go. A few years ago I spent five days in sub-zero temps from dark to dark and wasn't cold.

Now that I live in NC I don't have to deal with extreme cold. I'm heading out Sunday for a week long hunt in Beaufort County NC and it will be between 40-70 every day. I've got 6 tags burning a hole in my pocket.

Just got back from Montana this past Monday on my second combo elk/deer hunt. Didnt get on the Elk close enough for a good shot this go-around, but got two decent Muleys. Was hoping to land a real stud of a Muley but after passing on many- decided to fill the Tags with these two. First is a 3x2 and the 2nd is a 4X6.

mu1.jpg

mu3.jpg

mu2.jpg

Just got back from Montana this past Monday on my second combo elk/deer hunt. Didnt get on the Elk close enough for a good shot this go-around, but got two decent Muleys. Was hoping to land a real stud of a Muley but after passing on many- decided to fill the Tags with these two. First is a 3x2 and the 2nd is a 4X6.

Mind if I ask what a trip like that costs? I'd love to go out after elk some day, that's a bucket list hunt.

Mind if I ask what a trip like that costs? I'd love to go out after elk some day, that's a bucket list hunt.

It can very greatly. We go unguided so it helps pricing a lot. Not including flight, roughly 2k a person with the outfitter we go with. Elk/Deer combo license runs you an additional thousand dollars. We utilize the outfitter for his horses/mules, food and canvas tents only.

Last edited:
It can very greatly. We go unguided so it helps pricing a lot. Not including flight, roughly 2k a person with the outfitter we go with. Elk/Deer combo license runs you an additional thousand dollars. We utilize the outfitter for his horses/mules, food and canvas tents only.

Do you hunt public land or does the outfitter have land you can hunt?

Do you hunt public land or does the outfitter have land you can hunt?

Its Public, he has a license to set up a small camp. No motorized equipment is allowed so it is convenient using his horses and muiles. We go in about 6 hours horseback to camp- roughly 7800'.

Someone else (here as a matter of fact) told me a cool stay warm hack. Get the icy hot type patches that are intended for your back and put them over your kidneys. They last about 5 hours. If you break form the stand before the 5 hours mark, put them in a zip log and squeeze all the air out. They'll pause/keep until you're ready to finish them off.. If you're doing morning or evening only hunts in the late season you can use them multiple times this way.

Might have been me.

I use the Thermacare wraps. They are awesome and last for the day. After 7 back operations I couldn't hunt without them; not that I have been out much anyway this season.

Bob

This is the second year I've done it. Last year we tagged a nice six point about 100 yards from where this deer went down.

Sadly, they're moving house and we're losing access to the property. On the plus side, we have written permission on a 850 acre farm nearby (my buddy and the farms owner are both Marines otherwise we wouldn't have got it!).

I love hunting NC because of the long gun season, the availability of land and the relatively unpressured deer. They're unusually tasty given the preponderance of wild onions they snack on almost year round. I would recommend it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Been thinking about doing it myself. My brother lives down there in the Raleigh area.

Bob

Might have been me.

I use the Thermacare wraps. They are awesome and last for the day. After 7 back operations I couldn't hunt without them; not that I have been out much anyway this season.

Bob

You're not missing much, I've spent 60-70 treestand hours in NH with nada. Hoping to have a piece of land next year so I can better prepare.

Ennis area outside of Bozeman.

Nice area. I hunted just northeast of there about 10-15 years ago. Walsall I believe. Congratulations on the fine deer. Tough one eating the elk tag. I feel for you, I ate a few tags last year just outside of Roscoe.

Nice area. I hunted just northeast of there about 10-15 years ago. Walsall I believe. Congratulations on the fine deer. Tough one eating the elk tag. I feel for you, I ate a few tags last year just outside of Roscoe.

Thanks. I did take a Bull my first trip so it helped the sting a little. We were in an area where t was bull only, otherwise we would be coming home with 2 cows.

What outfitter did you use? Oregon was a bust for me this year, I'd like to try somewhere else.

Nothing at all either in the morning or evening yesterday.

I did get the track chair high sided on some old fallen trees hidden in the leafs. Took about two hours cutting them off and getting out. Dead as a door nail today.

I haven't made it out since Wed. too annoyed from freezing my butt off and I haven't mustered the courage to go back out. More power to you guys still out there, I might try to make it a couple more times before season ends.

Finally filled a tag this season last night. Had 2 does come in at sunset and took the bigger of the 2. Damn thing went across a knee deep stream and died on the other banking. So i ended up getting soaked going across to get it.

Finally filled a tag this season last night. Had 2 does come in at sunset and took the bigger of the 2. Damn thing went across a knee deep stream and died on the other banking. So i ended up getting soaked going across to get it.

Congratulations on getting it done!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

So far the only deer I've seen this season are on my game camera and the side of the road while driving my son to school. I get up in the stand and it's crickets...

Back
Top Bottom