• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Hunting Thread

Thanks guys. My "gun nut" good buddy in Kalifornistan responded to my email to him with this and I absolutely loved the response ;-)

"Not much more could make me happier than Orange Jesus defeating Evil, except this email. I love the photos of her. Did she do her own camo?"

A friend arrowed a wide 9 pointer in Milton near Blue Hill. Dressed out at 185lbs. Rattled him in. It came in with an attitude and was still moving when repeated grunting filed to stop him. At full draw he yelled "stop" and the old boy did just that. Arrow destroyed his heart and he jumped straight up then wobbled 30 paces. Will see if he can send a pic. The neck on this one looks like steroid use.

Another 2AM wake up for nothing, not even squirrels.

Heading to another place for evening if I can get the track chair recharged enough.

Another 2AM wake up for nothing, not even squirrels.

Heading to another place for evening if I can get the track chair recharged enough.

Give it hell buddy, as someone who has MS you're an awesome inspiration, if I ever lose my ability to walk I'll be tracking along with you! Ain't no illness going to slow me down!

Thanks guys. My "gun nut" good buddy in Kalifornistan responded to my email to him with this and I absolutely loved the response ;-)

"Not much more could make me happier than Orange Jesus defeating Evil, except this email. I love the photos of her. Did she do her own camo?"

Was that Dan? (SierraExplorer)

Congrats too brotha!!!

I was getting into the tree for an evening hunt. Had the wind covering my noise and blowing my scent away from a bedding area I was setting up near. Was feeling really good about the setup. Heard a rustle behind me while I was climbing the tree. Looked around to see a nice buck 10 yards behind me. I did my best sloth impression and clung to the tree. He eventually decided something wasn't quite right and moved on. Didn't blow or run more like a couple quick steps. He moved on and bed near by. At sunset the bedding area emptied out and there must have been 10 deer around my stand. None gave me a shot except a small doe which I passed on. Actually kind of got me stuck in the stand as I had to wait for them to clear out before I could get down. Kept me in the stand until well after dark.

Last couple of hunts prior only deer I saw were running away from me. So felt good to get back on them...

Last edited:
Went out Saturday morning with a favorable wind allowing 3 trails to merge in front of me. When a couple does passed by I was hoping for a buck to be in hot pursuit but no such luck. An hour or so later a decent buck popped out from one of the trails roughly 30 yards out walking directly towards me. He got spooked from a dog barking (gotta love public land) and darted out of sight. Twenty minutes later after several grunt calls he emerged and gave me a perfect broadside shot. My heart must've been pumping 250 beats a minute and when I let the arrow fly I saw him haunch as the arrow struck his side. After 30 min of letting my heartbeat down to normal levels I went to inspect the area I shot the buck. The adrenaline suddenly turned into disappointment and a sinking feeling in my stomach. I had gut shot the buck. No trace of blood, just the most foul smelling light brownish matter and traces of white/brown hair on my arrow. Maybe I should have waited a bit longer to let my arrow fly since I knew he was already spooked and skittish. Anyhow, I quietly packed up and left the area. I returned Sunday morning at 8 am with my wife letting 20 hours pass. We traced the steps of where I had seen him go and found no signs of blood. We spent almost 5 hours combing the area without seeing any signs. I went back early this morning for a couple hours before work as I felt miserable with no luck. Rough weekend...

Tough break man. One thing you may want to do is reach out to the tracking dog club of Massachusetts. I've heard on a couple of podcasts that state associations like this often offer services (or can put you in touch with someone) where they can bring out a tracking dog to help you find the deer. Worth a phone call or email no doubt. Time is of the essence with it though... Older the trail - harder to track.

Your buck is dead - no doubt about that. Just a matter of finding him.

Last edited:
Well it appears I am done for at least two weeks and possibly the rest of the season.

I have a physical issue that just will not heal and appears to be getting worse. As much as I love to be out there, this has to take priority over basically everything in life. So it is bed rest for me for the foreseeable future unless I have to get up.

TS,

Are there any water sources near or really nasty (super thick stuff) where you hit him?

From folks who who I heave read this happen to usually that seems to be where the deer would go to, especially the water.

Well it appears I am done for at least two weeks and possibly the rest of the season.

I have a physical issue that just will not heal and appears to be getting worse. As much as I love to be out there, this has to take priority over basically everything in life. So it is bed rest for me for the foreseeable future unless I have to get up.

So sorry to hear that exojam. My thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

TS,

Are there any water sources near or really nasty (super thick stuff) where you hit him?

From folks who who I heave read this happen to usually that seems to be where the deer would go to, especially the water.

There is a pond roughly half a mile away which we did look over. The place is very dense in areas. I've got plenty of scratches fighting my way though those spots.

Tough break man. One thing you may want to do is reach out to the tracking dog club of Massachusetts. I've heard on a couple of podcasts that state associations like this often offer services (or can put you in touch with someone) where they can bring out a tracking dog to help you find the deer. Worth a phone call or email no doubt. Time is of the essence with it though... Older the trail - harder to track.

Your buck is dead - no doubt about that. Just a matter of finding him.

Thanks for the info TPBM, I just left them a message but with todays rain, it may look a bit bleak.

Thanks TS. I have my normal every Friday doctors appointment so I am going to see what they say after I have been in bed all basically since Saturday night.

Sorry that you lost the deer. It happens to even the best so just keep on moving forward and know you did everything you could for the recovery.

Back
Top Bottom