• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Hunting Thread

e3a75110536bd80c18d50e29a4f4a42a.jpg

First time out hunting and got put on some great birds by my buddy. Unbelievable time, got the itch now. Can't wait to deer season and turkey again in the spring.

3f5a51c3594787190179bc5a3be4aa18.jpg

From the field to my table in 24 hours, tasted fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait no longer,Deer season started already.

I still have yet to bag a turkey. They are all over my neighborhood and tons of them roost in the trees in my backyard but none of the woods near my house are huntable unfortunately.

Great job on those birds fellas!

The pheasant fields were absolutely mobbed at crane pond today so the boy and I went into the woods looking for squirrels instead. Ended up with a pair.....one each. I am happy with the decision as we don't have dogs.......and even the circus across the road with groups with dogs I only heard maybe 4 "volleys" all morning.

Didn't see anything in am or pm today. Here is my rut prediction for what it's worth which is likely nothing. I saw fresh scrapes opened up on the land I hunt today. According to Peter Fiduccia'a books that means the matriarch doe came into entrus and the Bucks picked it up and began marking territory. 28 days later the herd at large should come into estrus. That means peak chasing would line up for the 3rd week in Nov this year. With actual breeding the 4th week.
Kind of against conventional wisdom that it should be the first week of Nov.... but I'm adjusting my time off of work to account for it and going with it.

Went out in the A.M. Didn't catch anything except a branch in my mutha f***ing eye. Ouch

Last edited:
Went out in the A.M. Didn't catch anything except a branch in my mutha f***ing eye. Ouch

I saw 9ne at about 100yrds in a pine Grove but couldn't make out the head as it was super thick. Other than that I saw a pack of mountain bikers, couple walking dog and lots of squirrels squealing and giving up my location. I'm convinced weather is to nice and there is too many folks on the public lands right now. Leominster state forest was a zoo of people. Met Ranger though and he was nice and gave me some alternate locations.

The alarm did not go off this morning so that means no morning hunt.

I got out to a good trail I found early in the year and went to the far side so anything going across it would not be able to catch my scent. Was out for about an hour and a doe came by and I just watched her walk around. I decided to actually try a quick rattle and some grunt tube and about 10 minutes later a little 6 point came in to see what the heck was going on. He was not one of the ones I want so I just watched him circle around checking things out, love just checking them out.

Fun day anyway and I think I know where I want to go next time I am out by that area.

Nothing on Sat. Snuck into my out of state place on Sunday. Knew where some does bed and expected a buck to be bed downwind. The wind was forecast to change directions and I planned on taking advantage of that. I snuck in after it changed direction so I was approaching the buck bed at a crosswind. Plan was he would get up and relocate based on the new wind and I would be ready to catch him. But in sneaking in I got too close and busted him out of his bed. I heard him get up and walk off. He didn't bust out though. He never saw me. Never smelled me. He heard me. But I was going so slow trying to be quiet that I don't think he identified me as a threat as he didn't blow out of there. He just walked off. Having just bumped the buck I figured venison is venison and I would hunt the does. But 5 min after I got in the stand the skies opened up. 2 hours before the forecast called for it. Didn't have rain gear as I planned on being done with the hunt before the rain came in. So I got down and bagged the hunt. Soaked by the time I got back to the truck.. Redeeming point though is the rain should wash away my scent trail. So I can get back in there this week.

Last edited:
Had some bucks (basket 8 and a 6) fighting/sparring in front of me this morning at 15 yards...I passed on them and the same thing this evening only they were 60yards out. Was cool to watch!

Tagged out 172 LB Buck last thursday, followed by 2 does on Friday Saturday, all archery in Maine. Meat freezer is filled and now onto fall turkey , yote and hog hunting down south!

For the guys out for fall turkey - I am new to turkey hunting, had success calling a turkey in during the spring season but he held up at a field edge and never got a shot on him. Fall season has been a dud so far, no call responses at all and I know the area is full of turkeys. As I understand it, spring season they are looking for a mate and respond to the call as such but fall season they have already found a mate and now seem to travel in groups? Do they still respond to calls? What is the incentive for the turkeys or are they just responding out of curriousity?

Sorry for the new hunting questions - just try to learn the patterns these turkey operate under.

Thanks!

For the guys out for fall turkey - I am new to turkey hunting, had success calling a turkey in during the spring season but he held up at a field edge and never got a shot on him. Fall season has been a dud so far, no call responses at all and I know the area is full of turkeys. As I understand it, spring season they are looking for a mate and respond to the call as such but fall season they have already found a mate and now seem to travel in groups? Do they still respond to calls? What is the incentive for the turkeys or are they just responding out of curriousity?

Sorry for the new hunting questions - just try to learn the patterns these turkey operate under.

Thanks!

You just told my exact story. Kinda wondering where the frig all these cock suckers went!

Better off turkey hunting with your car and run the ****ers over.

I hunted a field by my house on Saturday morning, called for a little bit (probably scared them away with my bad calling) and drove by the field later that day and they were standing in the road at the bottom of the field. Those bastards know what their doing.

Took my 5 year old son hunting today for pheasant. Didn't see anything, but watching him stumble through high grass made me think of something. Pheasant hunting families are the only people out there who don't get worried to hear that their son was tripping on grass all day.

Back
Top Bottom