• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Hunting Thread

Going to be a rainy day tomorrow but I will be heading out around noon or one till end of light.

It looks like there maybe a let up on the amount of rain around 3 so hopefully there will be some movement.

I was wondering where you had been off to Arlow as I had not seen any posts from you lately.

Absolutely soaked... It was 72 and sunny.. Then boom torrential downpours

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yeah I would not have wanted to be out yesterday.

I do not know how much better I will fair today though with the rain. Putting on the rain gear and my umbrella is going on the track chair.

I have a rain suit.. Field and stream... But I never ever wear it.. Cause if it's not raining I feel like it makes to much noise. I had it in my hands yesterday but opted for the quiet merino wool zip up.. Dummy

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Check out my new head gear...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3wJW8El7IvTUVdNRGJYak81TW8/view?usp=sharing

Took me 6 hours to drag his heavy ass out the swamp. Damn wind had the tree I was in rocking and rolling. First shot spined him. Second shot required to deliver the coo degraw. He came out of his bed with about 20 minutes of light left...

......I'm having really good success getting on good deer with beast tactics. But I spent the entire 6 hours drag cursing Dan Infalt... Be mobile he says... Go where people don't go he says... don't hunt the same spots - keep moving he says, hunt bucks close to their beds he says. Don't worry about hunting sign, hunt topography he says...... All well and good until you have to drag an animal that outweighs you by a good number for a mile back to the truck..

I'm almost done with mornings though.....

Last edited:
New hunter here, going out for my first time tomorrow. Shotgun turkey season, here's hopin to get some
Beginners luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out my new head gear...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3wJW8El7IvTUVdNRGJYak81TW8/view?usp=sharing

Took me 6 hours to drag his heavy ass out the swamp. Damn wind had the tree I was in rocking and rolling. First shot spined him. Second shot required to deliver the coo degraw. He came out of his bed with about 20 minutes of light left...

......I'm having really good success getting on good deer with beast tactics. But I spent the entire 6 hours drag cursing Dan Infalt... Be mobile he says... Go where people don't go he says... don't hunt the same spots - keep moving he says, hunt bucks close to their beds he says. Don't worry about hunting sign, hunt topography he says...... All well and good until you have to drag an animal that outweighs you by a good number for a mile back to the truck..

I'm almost done with mornings though.....

Nice Buck, congrats.

I propably have another tough year in store for me since my track chair was basically usable since April so I did not get any scouting time. Also having issues where I get really bad battery life even with brand new top of the AGM batteries. Get to where I want to try and am already half way down on battery life. I am going to take the motors off and have them checked since I feel they are almost toast after the stuff Chappell found wrong with the chair but Action Manufacturing does not feel that way. More missed time in the woods, it is becoming the norm now and it sucks.

Anyone else go out tonight and have a hell of a time in the treestand? I was in a smallish red pine and it was all over the place. No deer, getting a bit frustrated, plenty of deer on film, no deer during the daylight.

Anyone heading out for Turkey tomorrow? I have zero expectations about bagging one, but looking forward to giving it a shot.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Anyone else go out tonight and have a hell of a time in the treestand? I was in a smallish red pine and it was all over the place. No deer, getting a bit frustrated, plenty of deer on film, no deer during the daylight.

Yea I was rocking and rolling on Sat. Sun was worse down here but I wasn't out.. No hunting on Sunday here in MA. Sorry your not having any luck. Try getting closer to bedding.

I went out in the morning and there were some pretty good wind gusts. I'm in the same boat, got deer on cam but all at night. Haven't seen a thing while i'm out there.

Bagged this Hen Saturday evening in CT. Got her about 30 mins before last light. I watched them come from about 200 yards from a field in front of me over the course of an hour. I didnt realize my bag limit was 2 unfortunately otherwise I could have easily had another. The rest just stood there like wtf just happened, had no idea where I was.

Roughly 10 mins after I dropped her, I had a Doe come in to my left about 35 yards. She had herself covered in a small patch of brush. Before she could step out, a big gust of wind blew from my right and I could see her immediately freak and take off. Not sure if it was just the gust, or if she caught my scent.

tur1.jpg

Tur2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bagged this Hen Saturday evening in CT. Got her about 30 mins before last light. I watched them come from about 200 yards from a field in front of me over the course of an hour. I didnt realize my bag limit was 2 unfortunately otherwise I could have easily had another.

Roughly 10 mins after I dropped her, I had a Doe come in to my left about 35 yards. She had herself covered in a small patch of brush. Before she could step out, a big gust of wind blew from my right and I could see her immediately freak and take off. Not sure if it was just the gust, or if she caught my scent.

View attachment 180429

View attachment 180430

Nice shot. I think you had quite a bit of brush in your way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff, nice shooting!!! I have one attached to my bow now also and am hoping for an action movie as well!

e3a75110536bd80c18d50e29a4f4a42a.jpg

First time out hunting and got put on some great birds by my buddy. Unbelievable time, got the itch now. Can't wait to deer season and turkey again in the spring.

3f5a51c3594787190179bc5a3be4aa18.jpg

From the field to my table in 24 hours, tasted fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom