• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Bear Attack

DJBrad

NES Member
Older and I couldn’t find anything for a search on “bear attack” or “BBB Alaska” but man this guy is a boss to talk into the camera with his face hanging off. I can’t view the 15k strong comment section because I don’t have Instafail but it must be a hot mess. Seriously considered picking up a Ruger alaskan in .454 last year.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/B99VO75nxYY/

OMG that is terrible.

I couldn't repost the pic of the injury, it was too much to see. Here is one as he is healing.

Makes me think one should wear a full face motorcycle helmet while in grizzly country. Demonios!

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.55.17 PM.png

OMG that is terrible.

I couldn't repost the pic of the injury, it was too much to see. Here is one as he is healing.

Makes me think one should wear a full face motorcycle helmet while in grizzly country. Demonios!

View attachment 342009
I guess if you wear the helmet it would make it a lot easier to identify the body.

I wish the video of him describing the incident right then and there wasn’t cut off. You can hear the son almost hyperventilating. Seriously though I’d be in such a shock if I was either the father or the son.

I recently ran into a bear and he wanted no part of me -- he was afraid he'd catch COVID-19 and was social distancing.

Jesus, if that's him in the last picture, his face healed up very nicely (reconstructive surgeies aside) considering what it looked like. He is very lucky. Also considering if they were out in the wilderness it was likely a few hours before they were even able to get to a hospital.

Why 454? A 9mm is plenty to take down a bear.

[pot]

Yes, 9mm plenty to take a bear:

GRANT.jpg
[devil]

In brown bear country I wouldn't carry any less than a .44 mag, and healthy loads for it too. Dad's bush pilot wouldn't drop off his hunting crew unless they each had .44 or bigger back up guns.

9mm loaded with buffalo boar ammo is all you'ze need LMFAO
Alaska Outfitter Defends Fishermen from Raging Grizzly with ...

Some nice logic there. Yeah, I'll just take my 9mm instead of the .44 because male browns usually play nice. This quote's a doozy too: "My pistol was loaded with Buffalo Bore 9mm +P Outdoorsman 147-grain FN hard-cast loads that have a muzzle velocity of 1100 fps. I had previously tested, compared and proven such loads with my .357 and .44 mags., and I was convinced they would work."

Is this guy the ultimate 9mm Kool-Aid drinker or just dumb?

Some nice logic there. Yeah, I'll just take my 9mm instead of the .44 because male browns usually play nice. This quote's a doozy too: "My pistol was loaded with Buffalo Bore 9mm +P Outdoorsman 147-grain FN hard-cast loads that have a muzzle velocity of 1100 fps. I had previously tested, compared and proven such loads with my .357 and .44 mags., and I was convinced they would work."

Is this guy the ultimate 9mm Kool-Aid drinker or just dumb?
Yes.

I am still saving up for a Desert Eagle in 44 mag to match make my Marlin 1894. Except they are a little out of my price range right now during the Economic pain train.

Incredible story for sure. I remember reading about it when the attack happened. Alaska is true wilderness where you are on your own and nature holds you responsible for your actions or inactions.

Bob

All you really need is a .22./s

Arizona -(Ammoland.com)- On 10 May, 1953, Bella Twin was hunting small game with her partner, Dave Auger, along an oil exploration cutline south of Slave Lake, in Alberta, Canada. She was 63 years old.

They saw a large grizzly bear coming toward them. Wishing to avoid an encounter, they hid off the side of the cut.

But the bear kept coming closer and closer. The bear got so close that Bella Twin thought it less risky to shoot the bear than to not shoot it. It was probably only a few yards away. Some accounts say 30 feet. Perhaps she saw it stop and start to sniff, as if it had caught their scent. We may never know.

She shot at the side of the bears head. Knowing animal anatomy very well (she was an experienced trapper, and had skinned hundreds, perhaps thousands of animals) she knew exactly where to aim to penetrate the skull at its weakest point.

She shot, the bear dropped. It was huge. She went to the bear and fired the rest of the .22 long cartridges that she had, loading the single shot rifle repeatedly, to “pay the insurance” as Peter Hathaway Capstick said. She made sure the bear was dead, and not just stunned. My father taught me the same lesson when I was 13.

Here is a picture of the bear's skull and the .22 caliber holes in the left side.

Bella-Twin-Bear-Scull-with-date-horizonta-600x428.jpg
1953 World Record Grizzly Skull
For those curious about how to place that shot on a live bear, the place to aim is half way on a line from the center of the eye to the ear hole.

From the front, you would aim directly up the nose. If the bear's mouth is open, aim for the back of the roof of the mouth. Aiming above the nose will likely miss the brain.

What rifle did Bella use to shoot the world record grizzly in 1953?

I wrote an article asking for help in 2014. Several alert readers replied over the intervening period. Because of their efforts, and the Internets, I have been able to find more detail about Bella Twin, her rifle, and the event. One reader was able to track down the current location of the rifle and send me pictures taken by the curator of the museum. The rifle is a Cooey Ace 1 single shot .22 rimfire.

Bella-Twin-Cooey-Ace-1-Rifle-used-to-Kill-1953-World-Record-Grizzly-600x350.jpg

Bella Twin used the rifle for many years on her trapline. The rifle was produced between 1929 and 1934. From a commenter at Ammoland:

here is a quote from the curator of the museum about the gun when i talked to him via email:
” I can tell you that the rifle is a .22 caliber single shot Cooey Ace 1. I can also tell you that the rifle’s condition, which has remained as it was when Bella Twin shot the bear, leaves a lot to be desired. There is corrosion on the receiver and barrel, the front screw that holds the stock to the barrel is missing and has been replaced with hockey tape. There is a piece of rubber under the barrel – probably as a method of “free floating” the barrel. There is no finish left on the wood. The stock is missing a part by the receiver and there is a wood screw reinforcing a crack in the stock.”
Bella Twin was a Cree woman. She had a reputation for being a deadly shot. Her grandson, Larry Loyie became an award winning writer. He wrote a fictionalized account of the bear shooting to include his grandmother in his prize winning children's book, As Long as the Rivers Flow. From smokyriverexspress.com:

Kokom Bella Twin is a highlight of the adventures in As Long as the Rivers Flow. The tiny 63-year-old Cree wo- man, who lived on Rabbit Hill overlooking Slave Lake, shot the biggest grizzly bear in North America.
“I had to put Bella into the book. She was being forgotten. The only people who remembered her were readers of hunting magazines,” said Larry.
In As Long as the Rivers Flow, Larry wrote that he was with his grandmother when she shot the bear. It made sense to put the story into the book, but Larry was not with his grandmother when she shot the bear. In 1953, Larry had been gone from Slave Lake for five years. I suspect his grandfather, Edward Twin, had died. Bella was 63 and was spending time with another man. Larry refers to Dave Auger as Bella's partner in a family picture. Dave Auger was with Bella when she shot the bear.

Read more: Bella Twin, the .22 Used to Take the 1953 World Record Grizzly, and More
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

I was approximately 50 yards from an adult male grizzly in the brooks range this past August. Surprised the sh*t out of me. He was very quiet. My 10mm with buffalo bore felt very inadequate. I also had bear spray. It all felt inadequate. I can’t imagine what this guy must still be feeling and thinking.

I'm thinking about getting .44 mag revolver. The squirrels seem to be getting bigger and bigger and quite aggressive here in metro west.

Back
Top Bottom