2015 Tax Free Weekend

driving to New Hampshire to shop isn't all it's cracked up to be
As someone who lives in mass and buys pretty much everything these days in NH including food.. wrong! At my first stop on my twice a month shopping route, the state liquor store, a bottle of my "stuff" is $20, in mass it's $35 plus. Gas is paid for and everything I buy up there from that point on is money that stays in my pocket and out of massachusetts politicians hands. And the only thing I can find up there that isn't cheaper is gas.

don't forget, BY LAW, you are to claim those purchases made online and out of state that you did not pay taxes, so that you can be taxed accordingly

Don't hold your breath waiting for that documentation. [rofl]

There's good reason my boat and trailer are registered in Maine too.

Last edited:
Does anybody remember reading an article about what our true tax rate is? It has something to do with our income tax and sales tax... Taxing already taxed money...

hopefully a 10/22 if i find the time to get to the gun shop

You might not have to do it on Saturday, 8/15. See the following offer to pre-pay starting now from Four Seasons. Then you pickup whenever it is convenient AFTER that weekend.
http://fsguns.com/mailings/august4.html

That's how I did everything last year.

Does anybody remember reading an article about what our true tax rate is? It has something to do with our income tax and sales tax... Taxing already taxed money...

It's WORSE than that. As a business owner, I have to pay sales tax on EVERYTHING I buy for my office, even from the one dental supply company that has no MA brick & mortar operation. They got scared. So if I have to pay sales tax, then think about it. Unless someone who owns a store can attest to the opposite, everything you buy that you pay sales tax on, has also had sales tax paid on it by the retailer, and probably the wholesaler. Everything is taxed at every step along the supply chain, not just when sold to the end consumer [hate that word, but it gets the point across].

And don't get me started on the fact that you still have to pay sales tax when you buy a used vehicle that's already had sales tax paid on it once or twice or more times before. That's downright criminal.

You might not have to do it on Saturday, 8/15. See the following offer to pre-pay starting now from Four Seasons. Then you pickup whenever it is convenient AFTER that weekend.
http://fsguns.com/mailings/august4.html

That's how I did everything last year.

I think you can even pick up before the weekend if it's in stock, think I did that last year at an LGS. Seems like most gun shops allow pre-purchasing before the weekend. Either by check or leaving your CC number.

I think you can even pick up before the weekend if it's in stock, think I did that last year at an LGS. Seems like most gun shops allow pre-purchasing before the weekend. Either by check or leaving your CC number.

I doubt that, as paperwork/NICS/MIRCS has to reflect date of transfer and they wouldn't match.

I don't go near a gun shop on those days (or Black Friday).

Last year I did the pay on the date by ordering/giving CC info earlier and picked up after the weekend. But that was all household items (refurbing bathroom and kitchen). Some computer stuff, etc. was at Costco in the afternoon but they don't get lines out the door like gun shops and some other places.

I doubt that, as paperwork/NICS/MIRCS has to reflect date of transfer and they wouldn't match.

I don't go near a gun shop on those days (or Black Friday).

Last year I did the pay on the date by ordering/giving CC info earlier and picked up after the weekend. But that was all household items (refurbing bathroom and kitchen). Some computer stuff, etc. was at Costco in the afternoon but they don't get lines out the door like gun shops and some other places.

The state doesn't see the transfer paperwork right, just the CC receipt? I know I did the paperwork on a weekday, I never go on the actual weekend, I hate shopping crowds.

This just in, Ohio has just announced their first sales tax holiday weekend:

http://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/...-things-to-know-about-ohios-sales-tax-holiday

I hate to say it, but it makes Massachusetts look good in comparison. [rolleyes]

It only applies to school items under $20 and clothing items under $75.

It's a complete joke.

Sorry Kasich, with boneheaded moves like this on tax issues, you're off my top 10 list.

This just in, Ohio has just announced their first sales tax holiday weekend:

http://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/...-things-to-know-about-ohios-sales-tax-holiday

I hate to say it, but it makes Massachusetts look good in comparison. [rolleyes]

It only applies to school items under $20 and clothing items under $75.

It's a complete joke.

Sorry Kasich, with boneheaded moves like this on tax issues, you're off my top 10 list.

But he couldn't Pass up "resources" also know as taxpayer money, gov't spending, etc to expand medicaid aka free healthcare. Kaisch used to be conservative, he got a lobotomy 3 yrs ago.

Would like to get another AR. I know I can get that tax free in NH any time, but it's a good chance to support your favorite LGS.

Start checking prices....put a deposit on one now. I noticed nice new stickers on all the products @ the 2 stores I went to last year and yes there where several products marked up from the week prior I was in.
For me the general hassle is not worth it.

Last edited:
my thought on this since it started some years ago---if a sales tax-free weekend is such a great friggin idea, lets eliminate the sales tax.

good all around for consumers and retailers. more mass residents buying in mass, more jobs in mass retail establishments, more income tax to the state.

ahh forget it---makes too much sense

Start checking prices....put a deposit on one now. I noticed nice new stickers on all the products @ the 2 stores I went to last year and yes there where several products marked up from the week prior I was in.

i don't go to stores that do that - like North Shore Firearms, prime example.

A S&W M360 Revolver and a bottle of Wiskey....

I'm not buying either because of the tax free holiday, but I am holding off picking up both of them for a few days because of it....

I will not stand in line or fight crowds to save $40, that's what New Hampshire is for 365 days a year. I will hold off a purchase for a few days just to take a few extra dollars form this sucky state on a few items they don't approve of though.

Bottom line, shouldn't it be obvious to these morons that if making things tax free increases business and inturn makes for more jobs,EVERY DAY SHOULD BE TAX FREE?

I guess I won't be going to that store...

- - - Updated - - -

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mac1911

i don't go to stores that do that - like North Shore Firearms, prime example.

Just go pay for it a day or two early.

This....I bought a VP9, with 3 mags and night sites brand new. $650. Yes it helps to save 40 bucks tax and not have to pay a transfer fee. Put money down on it and will finish the transaction on the weekend. Maybe it's cheaper somewhere else like FS, but I'm not waiting or driving far at all. Lines aren't a problem where i shop, even on tax free day. Especially Sunday....in and out, just like any other day.

I might get a GSP EXPERT. That should save me around $120 in taxes.

I never bought a gun from out of state that needed to be shipped to an FFL. I was told the store has to collect taxes when doing the transfer. Is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom